caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

One could argue that the entire Democratic Party is already doing so by embracing and endorsing a rapist, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the VP pick is seen as progressive.

Nobody is “embracing.”  It’s all about winning an election, pure pragmatism.

Should we question every Christian who voted for Trump after two divorces and all his affairs that he bragged about on Howard Stern or with Billy Bush?  They were simply voting on abortion rights and tax policy/government deregulation.   You really think they believed for a minute he was even familiar with the Bible?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The virus almost seems manufactured in that younger people and kids in some cases are not only immune to the virus but unable to even carry it especially with how cancer and autoimmune disorders are increasing and not sparing these age groups.   

I am not saying it is a conspiracy but it will make for a fascinating read someday.  

The young are absolutely carrying it and still dying, just at lower rates. They make great transmitters, as no one is spending tests on them. A group of UT Austin students went to Mexico on spring break and 50 tested positive when they got back. Tests are so rare that 20 year olds usually aren’t the sickest so they don’t get them.

one of the interesting things I’ve seen in the past week is that even if it isn’t putting them in the hospital, it seems like the virus damages a bunch of other systems like kidneys and liver and circulatory system. So even the people who have few to no symptoms could have internal damage that takes years off their life down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That is also one reason why we want Warren in the Senate where she is working on legislation.

Also important, Massachusetts has a Republican Governor, so if Warren gives up that seat in January then when the Republicans decide that deficits are bad and vaccines shouldn’t go to people who can’t afford them like they did in the last crisis, that vote is huge.

Stacy Abrams avoids many of those issues and is probably just as well prepared, although less experienced.

She’s too brazenly politicking for it, and she did lose to Kemp, which looks like O’Rourke losing to Cruz in TX now.  She also aligned herself with Sanders from the beginning.

If they really thought she could tip GA or Florida to the Dems, then they will definitely consider it.

Klobuchar isn’t inspiring at all, her Midwest advantage isn’t as crucial to the Dems for now...Whitmer’s coronavirus response makes her a Trump target and she’s still relatively inexperienced, so it comes back to Warren or Harris IMO. 

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

She’s too brazenly politicking for it, and she did lose to Kemp, which looks like O’Rourke losing to Cruz in TX now.  She also aligned herself with Sanders from the beginning.

If they really thought she could tip GA or Florida to the Dems, then they will definitely consider it.

Klobuchar isn’t inspiring at all, her Midwest advantage isn’t as crucial to the Dems for now...Whitmer’s coronavirus response makes her a Trump target and she’s still relatively inexperienced, so it comes back to Warren or Harris IMO. 

I’d be fine with Harris. We cannot give Trumps party a Senate seat.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Why does every Trump supporter default to this when Trump's actions are brought up? I mean Trump talked about having sex with his daughter, and has settled numerous serious sexual allegations, in addition to all of the charges that have been leveled against him.  He has encouraged people in inject Lysol into their system.  If Biden is senile, Trump is mentally ill.

,Biden may be a stumblebumb but he has been that way a long time. He is in better physical health and doesn't say crazy things like Trump. I don't see where Trump has an advantage in a debate. There may not be one. Or we could just go with Beavis v Butthead. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The guy asked me why Biden was going to lose. I responded. 

Where did I say I was a Trump supporter? I voted for Hillary. Why do those that have utter disdain for Trump default to this "if you don't criticize every single thing he does, you are with him" crap? 

Keep driving away moderates. 

Nobody but you attempted to deflect criticism about the suggested new treatment. Your words have spoken for you. 

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The guy asked me why Biden was going to lose. I responded. 

Where did I say I was a Trump supporter? I voted for Hillary. Why do those that have utter disdain for Trump default to this "if you don't criticize every single thing he does, you are with him" crap? 

Keep driving away moderates. 

People arguing with you online shouldn't drive you away.   Policy and actions should.  If someone being confrontational with you over a candidate gives you the sads and makes you want to vote for a different candidate, you really aren't voting seriously imo

• Like 3

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why does every Trump supporter default to this when Trump's actions are brought up? I mean Trump talked about having sex with his daughter, and has settled numerous serious sexual allegations, in addition to all of the charges that have been leveled against him.  He has encouraged people in inject Lysol into their system.  If Biden is senile, Trump is mentally ill.

That was my first thought and response to him. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I hope that voters realize that a vote for Biden is a vote for a (hopefully) very strong VP and a competent cabinet.

Bingo. And I will vote for Biden so his VP will become president through his term.

3 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Have you listened to the guy talk? Have you seen the videos of him sniffing and groping children/women? It's going to be an absolute bloodbath when he tries to debate Trump. 

Democrats will be less likely to vote for a guy with sexual assault/rape allegations. Not to mention he can barely string sentences together. Biden is toast. 

I understand the criticism but I disagree that he is toast. Biden will continue to address his behavior just like he did last year. Democrats will definitely understand their nominee isn’t perfect and will vote for him, regardless of ideology.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I understand the criticism but I disagree that he is toast. Biden will continue to address his behavior just like he did last year. Democrats will definitely understand their nominee isn’t perfect and will vote for him, regardless of ideology.

But this is part of what bothers me. Doesn't saying that he "isn't perfect" in response to his shortcomings, while correct on a literal basis, diminish and/or trivialize the cruelty of rape?

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

But this is part of what bothers me. Doesn't saying that he "isn't perfect" in response to his shortcomings, while correct on a literal basis, diminish and/or trivialize the cruelty of rape?

Yes.

But take a look at where we are right now. We have the choice between 2 people with credible allegations against them. 1 of whom didn't react to warnings of a pandemic and  still, 6 weeks into this thing, has adamantly refused to organize anything resembling a plan. 

Everyone who said "sure he's a racist but her emails" and either voted for Trump or did some sort of a protest vote last time voted for where we are right now, an economic and societal disaster. We just didn't know what kind. Ready for the next one?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It is pretty crazy. Look at how the media and the people handled these allegations with Kavanaugh compared to Biden. Kavanaugh got absolutely roasted. There has been MUCH less backlash towards Biden. People kind of just brush it off, like you said. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

In reality, it should be a deal breaker.  But welcome to 2020.  On your right you will see President Trump, on your left Bill Clinton.  Look across the street at the Supreme Court and say high to Justice's Kavanaugh and Thomas.  No idea why that isn't a deal breaker, but it isn't.  In the reality we live, these are our choices. In this reality, all of the things that get leveled at Biden are things that the President has against him in multiples.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

You're right Ron, where would anyone ever get the idea you're a Hillary fan when you spend your days carrying gallons of water from Trump every day on this board? 

I guess that also means you're a huge Abreu fan as well? 

Still haven't answered my question @Yearnin' for Yermin, or responded to the above...

What’s worse, Biden saying it on accident, or Trump saying it on purpose? 

Let's try to keep this topic on coronavirus, even semi-tangentially. This isn't The Buster Thread.

Discussing how Biden or Trump would handle the crisis differently is fine. Biden's options for VP, outside of Whitmer, ultimately are not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It is pretty crazy. Look at how the media and the people handled these allegations with Kavanaugh compared to Biden. Kavanaugh got absolutely roasted. There has been MUCH less backlash towards Biden. People kind of just brush it off, like you said. 

The Kavanaugh stuff is not really comparable since that was crammed into a couple week period between his nomination and confirmation, and the election is 6 months away.   

also, Kavanaughs accuser came forward and testified in front of the entire nation.  Not quite the same level right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Let's try to keep this topic on coronavirus, even semi-tangentially. This isn't The Buster Thread.

Discussing how Biden or Trump would handle the crisis differently is fine. Biden's options for VP, outside of Whitmer, ultimately are not.

to be fair, Senator Warren published a Coronavirus response plan on January 28, so...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

Still haven't answered my question @Yearnin' for Yermin, or responded to the above...

What’s worse, Biden saying it on accident, or Trump saying it on purpose? 

I'd say it's equal. Trump saying it on purpose is reckless and stupid, as is typically with his incoherent ramblings. Biden saying it accidentally due to his deteriorating state of mind is arguably more worrisome out of a president.

I wouldn't blame either if somebody read those comments as idiotically concluded "I should shoot up with bleach right now". 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'd say it's equal. Trump saying it on purpose is reckless and stupid, as is typically with his incoherent ramblings. Biden saying it accidentally due to his deteriorating state of mind is arguably more worrisome out of a president.

I wouldn't blame either if somebody read those comments as idiotically concluded "I should shoot up with bleach right now". 

Apparently "finding a way to use this one type of bleach to kill it inside you" is actually a fringe idea that has some group in Florida and former republican candidate Alan Keyes supporting it. They wrote a letter to the President last weekend and got a nice quick endorsement by the President. So, there's already resources out there for people to do "research" by watching a few conspiratorial videos and determining that it's a great idea. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus