Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, that is literally what it tells us. They stopped it in China by shutting down hundreds of millions of people for 3 months.

62 million.

Like shutting down all of California or Italy for eleven full weeks.

And there’s still a growing concern with roughly one million migrant workers finally leaving the province (they were trapped and now in massive debt after going so long without income, and no bailout checks ) and eventually city for their factory/manufacturing jobs in other areas of the country.

One local case in Hubei and only “imported” cases across the country....nobody believes it.

There were supposedly ten new Covid cases at Xiehe Hospital today, not very far from where I live.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Texas is probably going to end up with something similar...based on comments from Gov. Abbott and especially the Lt. Governor.

Wonder if GOP governors and states are indemnified when this massive gamble goes south?

Texas's governor has mostly allowed localities to declare shutdowns, and most of the urban areas are doing so as of today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Texas's governor has mostly allowed localities to declare shutdowns, and most of the urban areas are doing so as of today. 

Okay, thank god the #2 in command isn’t in charge, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we bunker in place for 3 months.  Then we come out of the bunker and wave 2 hits.  then we bunker in place for another 3 months.  then we come out and wave 3 hits.  I don't see how this scales to tell people to bunker for the next year.   Is this the plan.  One year of isolation?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, grandpa. Hope you don't die. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Texas's governor has mostly allowed localities to declare shutdowns, and most of the urban areas are doing so as of today. 

Unfortunately, everyone is finding some way to claim they are essential so they don't need to shut down even though the order came through this morning in the county I live in (Harris)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Good luck, grandpa. Hope you don't die. 

It would be nice if the President had any idea of history, at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So we bunker in place for 3 months.  Then we come out of the bunker and wave 2 hits.  then we bunker in place for another 3 months.  then we come out and wave 3 hits.  I don't see how this scales to tell people to bunker for the next year.   Is this the plan.  One year of isolation?  

Idk what the plan is or should be. What the plan can't be is do it half assed for a week, then open things up literally as you see New York and others start to hit a critical mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So we bunker in place for 3 months.  Then we come out of the bunker and wave 2 hits.  then we bunker in place for another 3 months.  then we come out and wave 3 hits.  I don't see how this scales to tell people to bunker for the next year.   Is this the plan.  One year of isolation?  

I think the plan is to get the appropriate amount of tests so that we can test everyone. Then we can work with 1) who is sick, 2) who has been sick and likely not able to get sick again and 3) who isnt sick and who we need to protect.

If we had a taken this seriously to start, we could have done those 3 things and likely never had to do any of this. There is some old saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Unfortunate lythe current administration doesnt like to follow that saying. 

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

H1N1 - 12,500 USA deaths (nothing happened, no one knew). Corona Virus ~500 deaths (Markets crash, close down businesses, forced to stay home)... Just seems slightly strange to me.

So what's the conspiracy? Who's in on it? Is Italy, S. Korea, UK, Canada, the rest of the world also in on it? 

I'm genuinely curious? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tony said:

So what's the conspiracy? Who's in on it? Is Italy, S. Korea, UK, Canada, the rest of the world also in on it? 

I'm genuinely curious? 

Its George Soros revenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

H1N1 - 12,500 USA deaths (nothing happened, no one knew). Corona Virus ~500 deaths (Markets crash, close down businesses, forced to stay home)... Just seems slightly strange to me.

World War II - 75 million died, 6 years long, billions of dollars of destruction

Spanish American War - 17,000 died, 10 weeks long, thousands of dollars of destruction

...seems a little bizarre to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

H1N1 - 12,500 USA deaths (nothing happened, no one knew). Corona Virus ~500 deaths (Markets crash, close down businesses, forced to stay home)... Just seems slightly strange to me.

It amazes me how many people fall for a meme.

Do the basic math on the death rates here and then get back to me.  Nevermind, as I want to make sure it gets done, so I will do it for you.  The meme listed about 60 million cases of H1N1 and the deaths you mentioned.  The death rate is 0.0002.  Covid so far is running at 634 deaths in just under 50,000 cases, for a death rate in the US of 0.012 or about 63 times higher of a death rate.  It is also still expanding at an exponential rate, so let's not pretend that "~500 deaths" is the end of it.

Put another way, H1N1 put up 12.500 deaths in 60 million cases in the US.  World wide we are at 18274 deaths in almost 410,000 cases.  So 50% more deaths in one half of one percent of number of cases.

It really isn't that complex.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It amazes me how many people fall for a meme.

Do the basic math on the death rates here and then get back to me.  Nevermind, as I want to make sure it gets done, so I will do it for you.  The meme listed about 60 million cases of H1N1 and the deaths you mentioned.  The death rate is 0.0002.  Covid so far is running at 634 deaths in just under 50,000 cases, for a death rate in the US of 0.012 or about 63 times higher of a death rate.  It is also still expanding at an exponential rate, so let's not pretend that "~500 deaths" is the end of it.

Put another way, H1N1 put up 12.500 deaths in 60 million cases in the US.  World wide we are at 18274 deaths in almost 410,000 cases.  So 50% more deaths in one half of one percent of number of cases.

It really isn't that complex.

 

Woah woah woah, enough of your math and science. What does your hunch say about it? We are at 15 cases well be at 0 in a few days, so dont do anything proactive, its going to magically disappear. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

So we bunker in place for 3 months.  Then we come out of the bunker and wave 2 hits.  then we bunker in place for another 3 months.  then we come out and wave 3 hits.  I don't see how this scales to tell people to bunker for the next year.   Is this the plan.  One year of isolation?  

 

32 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I think the plan is to get the appropriate amount of tests so that we can test everyone. Then we can work with 1) who is sick, 2) who has been sick and likely not able to get sick again and 3) who isnt sick and who we need to protect.

If we had a taken this seriously to start, we could have done those 3 things and likely never had to do any of this. There is some old saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Unfortunate lythe current administration doesnt like to follow that saying. 

Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Singapore have shown fully that aggressive testing, tracing, and isolation can absolutely work against this. So if you can stop the first wave and you aren't filling mass graves, you institute that policy - any time anyone is sick, you test them, you test everyone around them, you test everyone who went to the same place as them, and anyone who comes back positive you do the exact same thing - isolate, then test, test, test. 

If and when you do start getting clusters, that way within a week or two you've identified them and you're at least limiting its ability to explode. 

South Korea seems to be the worst failure of this; they had a patient who was positive (patient 31) who was supposed to isolate but who instead went out shopping and to church, and literally thousands of cases trace back to that one person.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bmags said:

World War II - 75 million died, 6 years long, billions of dollars of destruction

Spanish World War - 17,000 died, 10 weeks long, thousands of dollars of destruction

...seems a little bizarre to me.

WTF is the Spanish World War? :lolhitting

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

WTF is the Spanish World War? :lolhitting

 

lol damn it, when you are american it's your whole world baby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Woah woah woah, enough of your math and science. What does your hunch say about it? We are at 15 cases well be at 0 in a few days, so dont do anything proactive, its going to magically disappear. 

It is almost April afterall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is almost April afterall.

While I am destroying myths, can we also quit pretending that no one freaked out about H1N1?  Maybe because no one remembers the technical name, but "Swine Flu" was a 24/7 news cycle thing for quite a while.  There were plenty of people who freaked out about.  Maybe you are too young to remember it, but this was declared a pandemic, and it did get people worried.  Let me take you back to 2009

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2009/1024/america-in-the-midst-of-two-major-national-emergencies

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/examining-the-anatomy-of-a-pandemic-and-the-h1n1-scare

https://www.livescience.com/41539-2009-swine-flu-death-toll-higher.html

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/strategy/swine-flu-scare-abates-lessons-future

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Graduation that year was interesting. We bowed as we crossed the stage. 

And, can't we strive to do better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While I am destroying myths, can we also quit pretending that no one freaked out about H1N1?  Maybe because no one remembers the technical name, but "Swine Flu" was a 24/7 news cycle thing for quite a while.  There were plenty of people who freaked out about.  Maybe you are too young to remember it, but this was declared a pandemic, and it did get people worried.  Let me take you back to 2009

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2009/1024/america-in-the-midst-of-two-major-national-emergencies

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/examining-the-anatomy-of-a-pandemic-and-the-h1n1-scare

https://www.livescience.com/41539-2009-swine-flu-death-toll-higher.html

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/strategy/swine-flu-scare-abates-lessons-future

I had swine flu. I would do just about anything to not have it again. 
 

And by every account this sucks way worse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

While I am destroying myths, can we also quit pretending that no one freaked out about H1N1?  Maybe because no one remembers the technical name, but "Swine Flu" was a 24/7 news cycle thing for quite a while.  There were plenty of people who freaked out about.  Maybe you are too young to remember it, but this was declared a pandemic, and it did get people worried.  Let me take you back to 2009

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2009/1024/america-in-the-midst-of-two-major-national-emergencies

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/examining-the-anatomy-of-a-pandemic-and-the-h1n1-scare

https://www.livescience.com/41539-2009-swine-flu-death-toll-higher.html

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/strategy/swine-flu-scare-abates-lessons-future

The day I defended my thesis, I sat down for 20 minutes, then went to the clinic for H1N1 shot day to celebrate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony said:

Good luck, grandpa. Hope you don't die. 

We Orangeshirts will march the experts to the guillotine!!  Unless Cuomo is another lying pol this sh*t is gonna get some kinda real. I am in dire need of a Kayleigh McEnany update right now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×