Interesting Ozzie quote on Cooper...revisits Castro quote

caulfield12

Ozzie quit on the club during the season to take the Marlin's job. That's something that can't be forgiven. 

Edit to add: And isn't quitting on the team during the season the exact thing that an old school guy like Ozzie would agree is a never forgive event? He can't have it both ways. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

These are good points. You've convinced me that not only do the Sox need Ozzie, but the league does. Ozzie wouldn't kept his mouth shut while the Astros cheated against the Sox. He would have have said something and gotten the conversation started much sooner. The league needs a manager like Ozzie again. 

"You're not even a pimple on your daddy's #$^."- Ozzie to MLB umpire Harry Wendelstedt

Apparently, Carlos Lee was called out trying to steal second base (which in itself should have upset Ozzie) by Wendelstedt. Ozzie, not liking the call, got into it with Wendelstedt dropped this nugget on him. Wendelstedt claims Ozzie spit tobacco juice on him, but Ozzie says it never happened.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Would Ozzie  have allowed a guy to have his child on the field and in the clubhouse like Ventura and Hahn did ?  What about Sale acting up over the 83 uniform? Or Eaton siding with him and opening his mouth?   If Ozzie suspected Houston of cheating do you think he would have remained silent?

No one can   take 2005 away from Ozzie. He will always be the best manager we ever had, until we win another one with another Manager.

Let's win this season and put this issue behind us.

Ozzies kids were notorious for always being in the locker room. 

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ozzies kids were notorious for always being in the locker room. 

Yes, they were, and they liked sticking their noses in team business. Not to mention, Ozzie did an awful job managing the 2011 team. This is more than a PC thing. Ozzie wore out his welcome here, and other teams are not enamored with him because of 2005. And like I said, he made his own problems in Miami.

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

These are good points. You've convinced me that not only do the Sox need Ozzie, but the league does. Ozzie wouldn't kept his mouth shut while the Astros cheated against the Sox. He would have have said something and gotten the conversation started much sooner. The league needs a manager like Ozzie again. 

The world needs more ozzie guillens 

• Like 1

Well, Ozzie, it's the teams carrying the I Pads that have been winning for the last decade; the Sox were a decade late to the party, and it shows.

As for Cooper, the results have been mediocre so I can't argue with him there.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

People want Ozzie back in today's climate? I've read it all now.

Ozzie will always hold a place in Sox history for 2005, but wow have people forgot about his flaws quickly. He's not managing anymore for MANY reasons.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Texsox said:

Ozzie quit on the club during the season to take the Marlin's job. That's something that can't be forgiven. 

Edit to add: And isn't quitting on the team during the season the exact thing that an old school guy like Ozzie would agree is a never forgive event? He can't have it both ways. 

Please.

If anyone quit on this team, it was ownership with their decade long droughts between playoff apperances.

Since folks far more unforgiving and less deserving than Ozzie getting "mulligans" these days, I would certainly extend one to Ozzie.

And let the next manager whoever he is bring in their own pitching coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tony said:

It’s the ex-girlfriend syndrome. You broke up for very valid reasons. As times goes on, maybe you date a few duds after her, you start to think “I mean, I guess it wasn’t that bad with her, we had some fun times, right?”

You know what happens when you get back together? The same thing that happened the first time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Don’t hire with your heart, hire with your head. 

This right here.  Ozzie is a relic.  He is an outdated 8 track in a digital world.

9 hours ago, GradMc said:

Please.

If anyone quit on this team, it was ownership with their decade long droughts between playoff apperances.

Since folks far more unforgiving and less deserving than Ozzie getting "mulligans" these days, I would certainly extend one to Ozzie.

And let the next manager whoever he is bring in their own pitching coach.

Are you suggesting he didn't quit on the team? Is that really the example you want your manager to set for his players? 

• Like 1

I actually do think Ozzie has matured a bit. But what he is doing right now, angling for an already filled role with the White Sox, is off the charts obnoxious. Sorry Ozzie, you quit because you were "disrespected" not having multiple years left on your contract.  You also said it was a slap in the face when the organization "only" offered your son $75,000 to play baseball. Last I checked, that was $75k more than any other major league franchise.

Let him to the pre and post game. Live off 2005. Nothing wrong with that. Ditka still lives off of 1985. But if he wants back in baseball, with the White Sox would be a huge mistake. Managing or coaching should be with a different organization.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I actually do think Ozzie has matured a bit. But what he is doing right now, angling for an already filled role with the White Sox, is off the charts obnoxious. Sorry Ozzie, you quit because you were "disrespected" not having multiple years left on your contract.  You also said it was a slap in the face when the organization "only" offered your son $75,000 to play baseball. Last I checked, that was $75k more than any other major league franchise.

Let him to the pre and post game. Live off 2005. Nothing wrong with that. Ditka still lives off of 1985. But if he wants back in baseball, with the White Sox would be a huge mistake. Managing or coaching should be with a different organization.

I agree in that if Ozzie wants to manage again, it should be somewhere else. It is one thing not to be crazy about Reneteria, it is another to want Ozzie to replace him. Right now this would not be a good match. Time for everyone to move on, starting with Ozzie.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:07 AM, southsider2k5 said:

This right here.  Ozzie is a relic.  He is an outdated 8 track in a digital world.

Yeah but its fun to listen to the old 8 track, faults and all. Just not all the time. He is great for studio shows but never again as a manager.

22 hours ago, Texsox said:

In general has there ever been a manager in any sport that did as well or better during their second stay? 

McKeon 

edit: misread that as "which manager did as well or better in second stay" as in their second attempt in managing after retiring 

• Like 1

Ozzie will never manage again cause of his mouth, but as some on here may remember I love him. Back in the day it didn't help Oz that Mariotti was in town. Those two were in a personal war it seems and Oz seemed to be even more outspoken those days. Of course his worst bit actually was in Miami over his statements on Castro. If Oz could master the English language a bit better ... he'd be the most outstanding/funny/controversial MLB announcer maybe in history. As it stands now it's kind of hard to understand him. I love him though.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ozzie will never manage again cause of his mouth, but as some on here may remember I love him. Back in the day it didn't help Oz that Mariotti was in town. Those two were in a personal war it seems and Oz seemed to be even more outspoken those days. Of course his worst bit actually was in Miami over his statements on Castro. If Oz could master the English language a bit better ... he'd be the most outstanding/funny/controversial MLB announcer maybe in history. As it stands now it's kind of hard to understand him. I love him though.

Ozzie has been in this country for almost 40 years now.  He understands English just fine.  I mean he is on an English based pre/post game show for god's sake.

7 hours ago, ptatc said:

Yeah but its fun to listen to the old 8 track, faults and all. Just not all the time. He is great for studio shows but never again as a manager.

MLB teams want to hire Hispanic managers and Ozzie still can't get a gig and he won a World Series . That's really all anyone has to know about how toxic he is. No one wants unpredictable personalities when they have a huge upside of bad publicity for your team.It's the same reason no one signed Puig.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:02 PM, greg775 said:

God i hated mariotti with such a passion