16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon

KrankinSox

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Agreed, but then why do it at all? There will be under .500 teams at 8 in each league, more than likely.

6 in each league this year, I would have totally understood. 8 in each league...dumb. Teams picking their opponent...dumber.

It's honestly not worth worrying about.  This season will very likely not have many things that carry on afterwards, it's a short tournament.

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's honestly not worth worrying about.  This season will very likely not have many things that carry on afterwards, it's a short tournament.

I totally think they’ll be greedy enough to keep it going after this season. (If it passes)

Keeping the postseason the same this year would make the 60-game season more exciting and legitimate. When you make the playoffs in baseball, it’s supposed to feel great. When you come up a game or two short, it’s supposed to hurt. That’s part of the baseball fan experience. Just letting every mediocre team in would be boring.

Edited by flavum

The 60 game sprint to the playoffs is unique enough.  They do not need to add elements like picking your opponent.  I'm also against expanding the # of teams that get in.  In a 60 game season, if your team is not in it for at least a wild card for a pretty good stretch of the season, your team is just not very good this year.  I know the Nationals started out poorly and still won it all last year, but you just don't get that luxury this year.  Every game is important.  Play like every game counts...that's what makes this actually an exciting season imho

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

The 60 game sprint to the playoffs is unique enough.  They do not need to add elements like picking your opponent.  I'm also against expanding the # of teams that get in.  In a 60 game season, if your team is not in it for at least a wild card for a pretty good stretch of the season, your team is just not very good this year.  I know the Nationals started out poorly and still won it all last year, but you just don't get that luxury this year.  Every game is important.  Play like every game counts...that's what makes this actually an exciting season imho

You sir are correct. A lot of baseball is seeing if things work, tanking, sunday lineups, waiting for things to get better, and knowing you have 162 games. Now, teams know they have 60, they know there will probably be 8 playoff teams, and they know they must try to win each game. I think all playoff teams will be worthy this season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Hopefully this is truly a one-off thing and not laying the groundwork to implement it in future seasons.

Agreed. Personally, I don't mind more teams but the "choosing" of the opponent should be just for this season.

38 minutes ago, flavum said:

Agreed, but then why do it at all? There will be under .500 teams at 8 in each league, more than likely.

6 in each league this year, I would have totally understood. 8 in each league...dumb. Teams picking their opponent...dumber.

After the awful fighting between the owners and the union, the league could use some goodwill and interest for the fans. It's purely a way to get the fans back into the game until the game loses it again with the CBA battle and probable work stoppage.

49 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Hopefully this is truly a one-off thing and not laying the groundwork to implement it in future seasons.

I doubt it will be a one time thing. They were definitely negotiating for it going forward earlier this year. In what form and function, who knows though.

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Based on their negotiations that led to the 60 game schedule, my feeling is that they will totally get this taken care of in the 25 hour window.  

But this was already agreed upon originally, it was everything else they had beef about.

3 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

But this was already agreed upon originally, it was everything else they had beef about.

My point was mostly that they fucked that up royally and I have no confidence that they could do this with no hiccups in one day

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chainsmoker said:

I’m all for doing whatever crazy crap they feel like in a 60 game season.  However, I think expanded playoffs would be here to stay.

Listening to the talking heads on MLB Network today, they're saying this a good thing to expand and that the league "probably" wants to expand to 32 team and a more traditional 16-team playoff like the other leagues. League-owned network. Not sure how often those opinions are their own, or if this is a talking point they've been fed.

I think there is something special to the selectivity of baseball playoffs.

But, for me that doesn't come close to outweighing how disappointing it is when you have a pretty damn good year and miss the playoffs due to circumstance.

2010 was one of my favorite years in the 21st century teams. 2006 and 2003 were really special to me. 2012 was meh. Was 2008 really much better than any of those teams? 

Not at all, but it holds such a bigger place even with a pretty uneventful first round series (obviously game 163).

I would definitely be way happier if all of those were playoff teams. If you have a ~.530 win percentage you should be pretty much in the playoffs.

• Kalapse changed the title to 16 Team Playoffs in 2020 Agreed Upon