Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really think they want to give Collins a shot.  It’s really now or never time for him.

Perhaps but I think it would be very risky and incredibly shortsighted of them to be "all in" with Collins when a quality veteran backup is so inexpensive.

• Like 1

Just now, Rounding_Third said:

Perhaps but I think it would be very risky and incredibly shortsighted of them to be "all in" with Collins when a quality veteran backup is so inexpensive.

This is the point most miss. They are not "all in" for this year. If so, they would be trading away more prospects. They want to have prolonged shots at the playoffs with the team and prospects they have. In MLB as long as you make the playoffs you have a chance. 

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

It may be risky, but they have to decide if he’s an asset worth investing in.  If they don’t give him a look now, it’s but over for him with the Sox.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is the point most miss. They are not "all in" for this year. If so, they would be trading away more prospects. They want to have prolonged shots at the playoffs with the team and prospects they have. In MLB as long as you make the playoffs you have a chance. 

So are you saying they should give Collins a shot?  Because the poster you are quoting is arguing something much different.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So are you saying they should give Collins a shot?  Because the poster you are quoting is arguing something much different.

He is saying that if they are all in than giving Collins a shot doesnt make sense. My point is that the Sox are not all in for this season. They are looking at prolonged success so looking at it from an all in perspective  is wrong.

Personally I would give Collins a shot as backup and use the resources elsewhere. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

It’s a back up catcher. They are pretty easy to acquire. If Collins doesn’t work out, he can easily be replaced. You will be able to get a guy like Kevan Smith for a song if need be. Yes, some are far better than others, but most back up catchers are pretty much a pick ‘em.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

He is saying that if they are all in than giving Collins a shot doesnt make sense. My point is that the Sox are not all in for this season. They are looking at prolonged success so looking at it from an all in perspective  is wrong.

Personally I would give Collins a shot as backup and use the resources elsewhere. 

Saying they're not "all in" this year is just wrong.  Prolonged success; yes, but it starts this year.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It may be risky, but they have to decide if he’s an asset worth investing in.  If they don’t give him a look now, it’s but over for him with the Sox.

He's definitely an asset; either as trade material or preferably 3rd string (in Charlotte) for another year to work on his deficiencies and be ready if called upon.  

43 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

I’ve only seen Hendricks pitch twice and both times it was against the Sox in the playoffs. I remember thinking while watching him pitch that there was all this hoopla about the guy and he didn’t look overwhelming at all to me. There’s some pitchers that have that little something that makes them virtually unhittable. I didn’t see it with him.

Colome on the other hand has that little cutter that hitters struggle with.

I’d rather they get another solid starter as they have a lot of bullpen guys already many that have the stuff and mentality to close.

Colome isn’t coming back. Even Jesse Rogers mentioned this. Check out YouTube highlights of Hendriks appearances and you’ll see why he’s the top reliever on the market this year. He also has that fire and intensity in him that this team needs out of a closer. Colome didn’t have that.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

Saying they're not "all in" this year is just wrong.  Prolonged success; yes, but it starts this year.

If they were all in why didnt they traded for Snell or Darvish? They arent sacrificing the future to win this year. That's what all in implies. Pushing all the chips in to win right now regardless of the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If they were all in why didnt they traded for Snell or Darvish? They arent sacrificing the future to win this year. That's what all in implies. Pushing all the chips in to win right now regardless of the future.

Because they trade for Lynn and going after Hendriks and must extend Giolito the sooner the better.  They ain't the Yankees or Dodgers!  

Edited by Rounding_Third

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Fully agree.  We need to continue to find spots to insert youth and given the strength of our roster there aren’t really a ton of spots available to play young players.  I totally get if Grandal went down it would be a bit terrifying handing an everyday role to Collins, but the reality is we brought in Yasmani to start 120 to 130 games beyond the plate.  You can still bring in a veteran backstop to park at AAA, but I’d really like to see what Collins looks like if given 30 to 40 starts behind the plate next year.  If it’s not going well, a backup catcher will be easy to come by at the deadline.

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Because they trade for Lynn and going after Hendriks and must extend Giolito the sooner the better.  They ain't the Yankees or Dodgers!  

I guess our definition of all in is different.

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It’s a back up catcher. They are pretty easy to acquire. If Collins doesn’t work out, he can easily be replaced. You will be able to get a guy like Kevan Smith for a song if need be. Yes, some are far better than others, but most back up catchers are pretty much a pick ‘em.

Agreed.  If Grandal goes down for an extended period of time, we’d probably be in big trouble regardless of who the backup is.  I think people were spoiled last year with McCann in that role and that’s nowhere near a realistic expectation of what a backup catcher should be, especially one behind a guy who should play all the time in Grandal.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed.  If Grandal goes down for an extended period of time, we’d probably be in big trouble regardless of who the backup is.  I think people were spoiled last year with McCann in that role and that’s nowhere near a realistic expectation of what a backup catcher should be, especially one behind a guy who should play all the time in Grandal.

This is part of my point, was just typing the same thing.  However, there are many good choices, defensively or offensively that would keep us out of trouble in that scenario. Not to mention having a vet catcher for our pitching staff;  a vet to catch the vets and a vet to help guide the younger guys.  EX would Lynn do better throwing to Collins or say, a Suzuki or Avila?   Again $2-3m for that security.

31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The catchers need to be set before the season starts.  Bringing in a new catcher to a new staff in the middle of a season is not the best option.  

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sox will be able to get a vet on a minor league deal with a roster bonus if he’s called up. That can give Collins a month or two to show he’s capable.

I doubt if the few at the top of the available list would do that.  I can't see Suzuki, Avila, Flowers, etc taking that offer.  The good ones will all be signed to play in MLB by time the season starts.   

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Collins is not the answer.  McCann started 45% of the games last season because he had to.  They need the 2nd catcher to be strong defensively and that's not Collins.  

Yadier Molina, come on down. Lol

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Yadier Molina, come on down. Lol

lol would be nice.  I have no doubt that Collins will be a MLB catcher before he retires but needs to play every day to figure out why his top level skills haven't translated to the majors.  He can't work it out getting 6 AB's a week.

18 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

You want then to spend way more than they're capable of before you consider them all in.  

Thats what all in means. Use everything now. They could have traded many prospects to acquire Snell who is under a reasonable contract. But they didn't because the dont want to sacrifice the future.

11 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

The catchers need to be set before the season starts.  Bringing in a new catcher to a new staff in the middle of a season is not the best option.  

I agree.  With guys like Flowers, Suzuki, Molina, and Avila available...no way should we be trusting Collins with that responsibility.  He needs to be catching full time at AAA.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic