Tony La Russa tied for 2nd in all time wins!

ron883

Just now, wegner said:

Is this your way around that other thread being closed ron?

This is a thread to congratulate our manager for being the 2nd most winning manager in the history of the game. It's a hell of an achievement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The haters won't like this. Lock this thread before too much Tony positivity is posted.

I quietly suspected they were on good terms as during Yermin’s slump:

- La Russa recently talked about how Yermin had one of the best BP’s he’d ever seen 

- La Russa in postgame the other night credited something Hamilton did on the bases to “Yermy being such a great two strike hitter”

- La Russa still kept Mercedes 5th through a one month slump while many called for him to move down

I agree Tony botched the original situation, but he’s done a good job rectifying that mistake and rebuilding that relationship, and credit Yermin for being open to that too. Happy for them! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I quietly suspected they were on good terms as during Yermin’s slump:

- La Russa recently talked about how Yermin had one of the best BP’s he’d ever seen 

- La Russa in postgame the other night credited something Hamilton did on the bases to “Yermy being such a great two strike hitter”

- La Russa still kept Mercedes 5th through a one month slump while many called for him to move down

I agree Tony botched the original situation, but he’s done a good job rectifying that mistake and rebuilding that relationship, and credit Yermin for being open to that too. Happy for them! 

I know it sounds crazy but you can disagree with someone even have arguments with them and still be friends or at least have a good relationship. 

• Love 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

If you want to worship at the altar of TLR's past accomplishment, be my guest.  I don't give AF.  Doesn't change how bad he is in 2021.

How about you pay some respect to the soon-to-be 2nd winningest manager ever? 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ron883 said:

LOL.  Please, continue worshiping his past accomplishment all you want.  His number of career wins still doesn't change how fucking terrible he is as manager of the Chicago White Sox in 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ron883 said:

65th all time in win percentage.

Tied for 6th in World Series - but we should probably dock him the A's World Series due to the rampant cheating. 3rd all time in playoff appearances.

And if McDowell is correct, then Tony's entire first White Sox tenure is as tainted as the Astro's recent run. I'd might have given TLR the benefit of the doubt if he actually denied the camera system instead of a weak deflection.

So sure, TLR's got the second most numerical wins, built on the backs of steroids and and cameras.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

65th all time in win percentage.

Tied for 6th in World Series - but we should probably dock him the A's World Series due to the rampant cheating. 3rd all time in playoff appearances.

And if McDowell is correct, then Tony's entire first White Sox tenure is as tainted as the Astro's recent run. I'd might have given TLR the benefit of the doubt if he actually denied the camera system instead of a weak deflection.

So sure, TLR's got the second most numerical wins, built on the backs of steroids and and cameras.

Connie Mack has more loses than wins! He also owned his team, meaning he couldn't be fired. He should be scratched from the record books due to those two reasons, and TLR will technically be the most winning manager of all time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

LOL.  Please, continue worshiping his past accomplishment all you want.  His number of career wins still doesn't change how fucking terrible he is as manager of the Chicago White Sox in 2021.

This thread is about his career accomplishments. He is about to be the 2nd most winning manager of all time. Please go cry and rage about Tony in another thread. 

• Thanks 1

It's the primary reason he returned. It stuck in his craw that he sat second in all time losses for decades, while remaining third in wins after hanging it up.

His White Sox Managerial Record is the primary concern of most of us on SoxTalk.

White Sox Managerial Win Records:

1. Jimmy Dykes 899 (13 seasons .489) 
  2. Al Lopez 840 (11 seasons .564) - American League Pennant Winner
  3. Ozzie Guillen 678 (8 seasons .524) - World Series Winner
  4. Tony La Russa 557 (9th season .511)

White Sox Managerial Winning Percentage Records:

1. Fielder Jones .592 - World Series Winner
  2. Clark Griffith .581 - American League Champion (pre World Series Era)
  3. Pants Rowland .578 - World Series Winner
  4. Marty Manon .565
  5. Al Lopez .564 - American League Pennant Winner
  6. Gene Lamont .551
  7. Paul Richards .529
  8. Bob Lemon .525
  9. Ozzie Guillen .524 - World Series Winner
  10. Eddie Collins .521
  11. Kid Gleason .519 - American League Pennant Winner
  12. Jerry Manuel .515
  13. Jeff Torborg .515
  14. Billy Sullivan .514
  15. Tony La Russa .511

White Sox Post Season Managerial Records:

1. Ozzie Guillen .750 - 1 World Series Championship (4-0 over the Houston Astros); 1 ALCS Championship; 1-1 Division Series Championships
  2. Fielder Jones .667 - 1 World Series Championship (4-2 over the Chicago Cubs)
  3. Pants Rowland .667 - 1 World Series Championship (4-2 over the New York Giants)
  4. Kid Gleason .375 - 1 American League Pennant (Lost World Series 5-3 vs. the Cincinnati Reds)
  5. Al Lopez .333 - 1 American League Pennant (Lost World Series 4-2 vs. the Los Angeles Dodgers)
  6. Gene Lamont .333 - Lost American League Championship 4-2 to the Toronto Blue Jays
  7. Ricky Renteria .333 - Lost Wild Card Round 2-1 vs. the Oakland Athletics
  8. Tony La Russa .250 - Lost American League Championship Series 3-1 vs. the Baltimore Orioles
  9. Jerry Manual .000 - Lost American League Division Series 3-0 vs. the Seattle Mariners
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ron883 said:

This thread is about his career accomplishments. He is about to be the 2nd most winning manager of all time. Please go cry and rage about Tony in another thread. 

A thread on the Soxtalk main page about career accomplishments with other teams.  Do you not see the disconnect, or are you just intentionally obtuse?

• Haha 2

He is a terrible manager now.  He has cost this team wins.  But you want us to celebrate all of the games won with other teams.  Many of which were won with cheating heavily involved in some way.  Sure, ok, let me put on my party hat and crack the bubbly. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He is a terrible manager now.  He has cost this team wins.  But you want us to celebrate all of the games won with other teams.  Many of which were won with cheating heavily involved in some way.  Sure, ok, let me put on my party hat and crack the bubbly. 

This is like if a washed up player finally hit his 600th homerun, but instead of congratulating the player, you just harp on the fact that he isn't a good player anymore. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is like if a washed up player finally hit his 600th homerun, but instead of congratulating the player, you just harp on the fact that he isn't a good player anymore. 

Actually it isn’t.  Fans don’t tune in to root for the manager.  With the obvious exception to this strange cadre of TLR worshipers.  An aging slugger hitting his 600th is not the same as a washed up hack riding the coat tails of great talent to some post HOF career accolade.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Tnetennba:  I don't think TLR should ever have been named manager after a 2nd DUI. But we are stuck with him.  However the team is performing really well so I am happy despite him. But I ask you, who is the last White Sox manager you like?  Ozzie, Robin and Ricky have all left the Sox with most posters glad they are gone. Most posters wish TLR was gone as well but at least the team's performance so far makes it more palatable.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Actually it isn’t.  Fans don’t tune in to root for the manager.  With the obvious exception to this strange cadre of TLR worshipers.  An aging slugger hitting his 600th is not the same as a washed up hack riding the coat tails of great talent to some post HOF career accolade.  

Speak for yourself. Ozzie agreed that Manfred better be in town today to congratulate Tony in case he wins today. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

Tnetennba:  I don't think TLR should ever have been named manager after a 2nd DUI. But we are stuck with him.  However the team is performing really well so I am happy despite him. But I ask you, who is the last White Sox manager you like?  Ozzie, Robin and Ricky have all left the Sox with most posters glad they are gone. Most posters wish TLR was gone as well but at least the team's performance so far makes it more palatable.

He's on of those guys that hates every single manager and thinks that he could do the job better than they could. 

• Thanks 1