More Moncada hot takez

joejoesox

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How is Moncada clearly not as good as Kopech? Are you sure you know what the word clearly means?

No comparison. Kopech at this stage is clearly the better player. Kopech also has a much brighter upside future. Are you sure you watched any Sox games this year?

• Haha 3

Depending on who you ask, Kopech was always the best prospect in that trade.  I don't really get the point in comparing the two. Even  if (hypothetically) Kopech has the better career, i don't see how that makes Moncada some massive disappointment that some are claiming he is.

It's a weird argument to make, imo.

Edited by Bunt Ritual

2 minutes ago, Bunt Ritual said:

Depending on who you ask, Kopech was always the best prospect in that trade.  I don't really get the point in comparing the two. Even  if (hypothetically) Kopech has the better career, i don't see how that makes Moncada some massive disappointment that some are claiming he is.

It's a weird argument to make, imo.

People are calling Moncada a disappointment because he's a 5 WAR player and not Jose Ramirez. 

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

No comparison. Kopech at this stage is clearly the better player. Kopech also has a much brighter upside future. Are you sure you watched any Sox games this year?

Kopech at this stage of his career has pitched like 47 innings. Moncada has been a top 4 or 5 player at his position for multiple years now. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

People are calling Moncada a disappointment because he's a 5 WAR player and not Jose Ramirez. 

Yeah, that's stupid. And for record Jose Ramirez has two seaons better than 5 WAR and that's it. 

Edited by mqr

18 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

No that was not me. I have never had a Jack McKeon avatar. I have not had a different account ever. You can check with admin and my email on record has always been the same.

Lol that isn't what we check, but thanks

• Love 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ah yes, we are on to personal attacks again.

Here's a solution, if you don't want something responded to, don't bring it up.

No personal attack at all. You are as usual, way too sensitive if anyone disagrees with you.

I was just addressing the fact that Moncada being a former #1 prospect in MLB and the bigger piece to the Chris Sale trade. I already told you my mistake I should not have compared Garcia in RBI's. I am only saying based on that Sale trade, Moncada is a big disappointment. He also is not as good as Kopech, the secondary piece of that trade. 

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Yeah, that's stupid. 

Anyone with a realistic view of prospects should be more than pleased with Moncada's performance. 

I argue with that guy on the other board all of the time.  

Does it kinda suck he's a notch below superstar? Yeah, it does. Not all #1 prospects in the game become superstars and that's ok. 

I guess the issue for some is that they expected Tatis/Jose Ramirez/peak Bryant and got something less than that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think that......I just disagree with the idea that Moncada is beyond criticism and that he's a great player. I'd take 2019 Moncada who doesn't walk as much over this version. Just my opinion......even though both are roughly equal on the WAR scale. 

So how they get to the WAR is the key? Just like how they get a win is more important than actually winning the game?

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Kopech at this stage of his career has pitched like 47 innings. Moncada has been a top 4 or 5 player at his position for multiple years now. 

This is a great point.  Since he got here, Yoan Moncada has put up 11.2 WAR.  He has 2.4 WAR this year, and is essentially playing every day.  Kopech has put up 1.5 WAR, 1.4 WAR this year, and after having TJS, and then another injury for a while this year, is working out of the pen because he hasn't gotten enough innings under him to start every 5th day.

Honestly, I think both have incredibly high ceilings, and really are almost identical in how good they COULD be.  As of today I think there is no question as to who has been better, and who will be worth more in the short term in Moncada.  If nothing else, Yo can play every day, Kopech is still building up.  Because of that I don't think there is any question as to who has a better chance of being more valuable going forward, as Kopech has a longer distance to travel to hit his ceiling.  He still has to ramp up to being able to pitch 180 innings, which isn't something done overnight.  Yoan just has to add back his power, which he has already showed.

Finally, I see no point is getting so upset about this debate that I need to call someone a name, but hey, I guess that is what it is.

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Ok then check the IP address. If you want to discuss this with me in private emails that would be fine. 

I don't want to discuss anything with you, you brought the admins up lol

• Haha 2

During Moncada's rough 2018, he struck out 33.3% of the time and walked 10.3% of the time.  In 2019, which was an amazing year for him, he struck out 27.5% of the time but only walked 7.2% of the time.  So far in 2021, he's striking out only 25.1% of the time and walking a robust 16.5% of the time.  He's clearly getting better at the plate, despite his power numbers being down.  I would hazard to guess that the power dip is temporary and he'll start hitting for power again soon.

He's 26 years old and is one of the best 3B in the game.  He contributes in the field with a really good glove and contributes at the plate by getting on base A LOT.

Do you know how many teams would kill for a player like Yoan?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

No personal attack at all. You are as usual, way too sensitive if anyone disagrees with you.

I was just addressing the fact that Moncada being a former #1 prospect in MLB and the bigger piece to the Chris Sale trade. I already told you my mistake I should not have compared Garcia in RBI's. I am only saying based on that Sale trade, Moncada is a big disappointment. He also is not as good as Kopech, the secondary piece of that trade. 

Yes, you are name calling because you can't stay on point, but I am the one who is sensitive. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

People expected him to burst onto the scene like Tatis and be that good. The expectations were sky high. 

People always want the the Tatis, and never consider the possibility of Delmon Young

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

People always want the the Tatis, and never consider the possibility of Delmon Young

Correct. People want Tatis, and if said top prospect isn't Tatis, then the hyperbole sets in that if a top prospect isn't Tatis, then they're Delmon Young. There is no middle ground. 

Edited by Jack Parkman