2021 NFL Season Thread

26 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

This is good stuff. I think this offseason the oline is the most exciting thing to watch. Even though our power run game was surprisingly strong last year, it always just felt like our Oline was soft. Even the guys people said were good (interior pre-mustipher) would always seem to get overrun when there was a few yards needed.

It will be interesting to see, with limited resources, if they attack getting some more playmakers (where we are completely deficient) or building out oline.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yep, also makes offseason much less fun. Remember how much enjoyment we all got out of that pro football network tool last year?

Yup! 

Bears are gonna have to do some work in free agency. I really hope they can get 2 of LT/WR/CB addressed in FA with premier players. Those are the 3 big needs IMO. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I mean I could not care less about the mccaskeys needing to pay more for a coach because they’ve been so inept at building the organization correctly, and obviously they should have hired Harbaugh first.

The fact that they didn’t even bring him in for an interview stings even more. 

17 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Jim "never won a super bowl" harbaugh

49-22-1 including playoffs. And he was able to utilize Kapernick (a mobile inaccurate quarterback) and win with him. If it wasn’t all his doing he obviously built a great staff around him to best utilize his teams strengths. 

For the record - my first choice would have always been Harbaugh.  It may not have worked - but that would have been just a no-brainer, similar to Bears not ever considering Andy Reid when he was out there (and instead hiring Trestman).  People say they should have hired Arians, but I was always in the camp that Andy Reid was literally out there - why would you not hire someone of his caliber.  Whether Reid would have taken the job - I don't know - but they never even tried (unless my timing is off - but I just remember when Eagles got rid of Reid I was all about Bears hiring him).  

With that said - hopefully Flus/Poles end up being the better move.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

This is good stuff. I think this offseason the oline is the most exciting thing to watch. Even though our power run game was surprisingly strong last year, it always just felt like our Oline was soft. Even the guys people said were good (interior pre-mustipher) would always seem to get overrun when there was a few yards needed.

It will be interesting to see, with limited resources, if they attack getting some more playmakers (where we are completely deficient) or building out oline.

Oline and a legit WR should be the focus in free agency.  I like Mooney as the next guy, but we desperately a #1 type in addition to a WR prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Good news is both free agency and the draft are pretty deep in that regard.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oline and a legit WR should be the focus in free agency.  I like Mooney as the next guy, but we desperately a #1 type in addition to a WR prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round.  Good news is both free agency and the draft are pretty deep in that regard.

And if Rodgers is really done with GB.....I actually do think the Bears could be a player for the NFC North in 2022 with a big offseason. An offseason that could still include trading someone like Mack, but also adding some legit OL and WR help like you mentioned. 

Poles has a lot of work to do and I think the Bears situation is closer to a rebuild than retool.....but it could be done with a very well-executed off-season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I mean - I am not surprised. It just seems like the anatomy of a rumor.  Teams usually go through the interview process and probably have a lean. I bet if you checked the Bears candidates phones there might have been people who said the same thing. Bears may have hired that candidate - may not have.  Poor Bill B though - he probably was like oh crap.  He was just trying to reach out to one of his former coaches (in this case they both are).  

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Holy shit Stephen Ross fucked up bad.  He has to sell the team if he really offered Flores 100k per loss to tank 2 years ago 

HAHA - I wish Gar and Pax paid that to Forman (or Hoiberg) back when the Bulls were trying to tank but Nikolai and some scrubs got hot and they ended up missing out on a difference maker.  But in all seriousness - not the smartest. Maybe they should bank some incentives in the contract - year 1, escalator clause for team getting #1 overall pick or winning a superbowl (hey - either be great or suck really really bad).  

This situation sucks. I get that Flores may not be the best people manager, but it really does seem like he was set in a poisonous situation. It is crazy to me that a guy like Raheem Morris just can't find his way back despite the very interesting background of now having been a former head coach, coaching a dominant defense, and having been an offensive coach (WRs).

And Flores turning chicken crap into a real football team, only to have the toxic relationship likely put upon him as a reason he can't be hired just sucks. I wish Bears would have given him a stronger look. I don't know re: Giants, but if they were putting out rumors that they were leaning into him because of Brookly ties just to cover that up it sucks, but the Rooney Rule will set some of this awkwardness up.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

HAHA - I wish Gar and Pax paid that to Forman (or Hoiberg) back when the Bulls were trying to tank but Nikolai and some scrubs got hot and they ended up missing out on a difference maker.  But in all seriousness - not the smartest. Maybe they should bank some incentives in the contract - year 1, escalator clause for team getting #1 overall pick or winning a superbowl (hey - either be great or suck really really bad).  

The story goes that Ross tried to get him to a meeting on his boat to offer him the money again(apparently had been trying to get Flores to agree with him to tank for a little while) and Flores realized what he was doing and refused the meeting, and from that point forward Ross didn't like him and was not friendly towards him, and this all ended with him getting fired.  Man this story is crazy

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Ugh who was the guy they signed to meet the salary floor that then promptly went hot and won two games in what was the luka, ayton, trae draft?

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

The story goes that Ross tried to get him to a meeting on his boat to offer him the money again(apparently had been trying to get Flores to agree with him to tank for a little while) and Flores realized what he was doing and refused the meeting, and from that point forward Ross didn't like him and was not friendly towards him, and this all ended with him getting fired.  Man this story is crazy

Also tried to get him to recruit a "prominent QB" in violation of tampering rules

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yeah this one might get pretty ugly and have some lasting impacts in the league 

I will point out - we all like to rip on George and the McCaskeys - and obviously I don't know the inner workings of what they wanted to do, etc - but I feel like they handled their hires very appropriate - they evaluated many diverse backgrounds (both in terms of race, but also just in terms of various levels of expertise and broad backgrounds) and seemed to have a very open mind throughout the way, eventually hiring for both roles, who they thought was best for their org(s).  Pretty proud of that fact.  

Unrelated - but Joe Brady apparently interviewing today (per Albert Breer). A lot of speculated on him being QB coach/having a role - but all the reports were from "bloggers" vs. major reporters.  Mike Munchack also likely out in Denver, so that is a possibility for Bears (very good oline coach). That said - Muncack isn't pairing up with Hackett because Hackett prefers a different style of blocking to support his ground attack (so I would think some of those differences might exist with Getsy too...but maybe not).