The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Reading the new agreement, I wonder if the new service time rule will backfire. Since the only oy the top few of the ROY finishers get the time, will teams keep the players down longer so he won't win the award?

I don't see the draft pick compensation helping much because teams can only be in the top 10 every other year for small market teams and every third year for big market teams.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Reading the new agreement, I wonder if the new service time rule will backfire. Since the only oy the top few of the ROY finishers get the time, will teams keep the players down longer so he won't win the award?

I don't see the draft pick compensation helping much because teams can only be in the top 10 every other year for small market teams and every third year for big market teams.

Honestly it might do the exact opposite. You’ve got the number 1 prospect in baseball, you want him on your club and don’t want to keep him at AAA for a season and a half, you don’t want to lose the year of control if he wins ROY, so you bring him up the previous July rather than September or April so that he gets enough ABs that he no longer qualifies for the ROY award the next year. That’s the only way to guarantee he won’t win that award. The players would be totally ok with that.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Honestly it might do the exact opposite. You’ve got the number 1 prospect in baseball, you want him on your club and don’t want to keep him at AAA for a season and a half, you don’t want to lose the year of control if he wins ROY, so you bring him up the previous July rather than September or April so that he gets enough ABs that he no longer qualifies for the ROY award the next year. That’s the only way to guarantee he won’t win that award. The players would be totally ok with that.

But in this scenario he is already up for 1/2 a season and he begin the next season n the roster so they don't gain much more control of the player. If they wait the next July, they gain an extra year. 

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

But in this scenario he is already up for 1/2 a season and he begin the next season n the roster so they don't gain much more control of the player. If they wait the next July, they gain an extra year. 

Yeah, but you’re literally talking about locking some prospects who are ready enough to win ROY at AAA for a year or more. It might happen to one or two guys, but this would be very tough to justify and probably would provoke a grievance. Rare at best.

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah, but you’re literally talking about locking some prospects who are ready enough to win ROY at AAA for a year or more. It might happen to one or two guys, but this would be very tough to justify and probably would provoke a grievance. Rare at best.

Possible. It will be interesting to see teams manipulate the rule once they have time to work with it. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Basically what the Sox did with Moncada.  

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Moncada was already on the 40 with major league time when we got him.

Didn't he have like 20 at bats and a week or two of service with Boston, and then the Sox sent him back to AAA for half a season?  Not sure that week or two really changes the point. He was still rookie eligible in 17, and didn't get enough ABs to truly garner any real ROY consideration even if he was good enough to do so (he wasn't). 

Edited by ChiSox59

I would prefer five teams per league in playoffs where 4-5 seeds have a three game play-in. With extra DHs this year maybe they should have kept the seven inning games for now. Also wondering if they will have enough pitchers to cover those games. I know some owners are cheep but they could have used expanded rosters this year.

Okay so not to be this guy but I am totally being this guy

I've been too busy the past couple of days to read many details about the resolution of the various points of contention they had - can someone either summarize it for me if it's not too much trouble, or point me to somewhere that someone already did that?