White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I doubt it will happen, and I've posted that it won't, I really would love to see Aaron back with the Pale Hose in '07. I realize that it likely won't happen, especially with our slew of outfield prospects who should be close to ready by then, but this is his home, and he shouldn't be anywhere else.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I used to love Thome but he really truly sucked last year when he wasn't hurt.

I hope he hasn't hit the brick wall career wise.

For a long time I was dying for him to be a Sox.

Now what a question mark.

Not only his health but are any of you worried he can't hit anymore?

I mean he truly was pathetic last season.

Also will miss Aaron. Wow what a performer.

I do trust Kenny, however, after bringing us a title.

This doesn't help our smart ball attack, however, does it?

Thome is another plodder like C. Lee was.

A couple things:

1) Thome was playing hurt last year. His injury didn't just come out of nowhere. He tried to play through it until he couldn't anymore. He actually had a DL stint for the same injury before coming back. Of course, he ended up going back on and ending his season. If he's as healthy as they say he is, he should be back to the old Thome.

2) Basically, Thome is replacing Everett. Anderson is (most likely) replacing Rowand. The philosophy isn't really changing. Just think of it as the same type of ball, with a much more productive Carl Everett.

2) Basically, Thome is replacing Everett. Anderson is (most likely) replacing Rowand. The philosophy isn't really changing. Just think of it as the same type of ball, with a much more productive Carl Everett.

Never thought of that. Good point.

I did watch Thome bat a lot last year, however, and I hope you are right. He couldn't get any loft on the ball in the many games I'd watch him. Weak grounders and one hoppers and pop ups.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
I did watch Thome bat a lot last year, however, and I hope you are right. He couldn't get any loft on the ball in the many games I'd watch him. Weak grounders and one hoppers and pop ups.

ok.... good point.... but the other day, i had my hand all bandaged up and when i tried to masterbate, i just seemed to shoot blank loads.... but now for some reason my hand is all better and im back to champ status!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
2) Basically, Thome is replacing Everett.  Anderson is (most likely) replacing Rowand.  The philosophy isn't really changing.  Just think of it as the same type of ball, with a much more productive Carl Everett.

Never thought of that. Good point.

People forget that Thome is 35 years old-an age when bat spead can go south. IMO, this was a terrible deal....Why trade two of your better prospects and ARow for a guy whose health is questionable, but also is old? Trading your best young pitchers only makes sense whern you , A. get something of value in return, and B. have an intention of signing Guys like Buehrle, Garland, Contreras to long term deals. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It seems as though a world championship hasn't changed Kenny....he still has an infatuation with over-the-hill players and a penchant for over paying to get them. Unfortunately, the rest of the baseball GMs know this which is why they typically pants him on deals. I thought that Kenny had a terrific off-season last year beacuse for once in his life, he was patient and let the deals come to him and not vice versa. Who else were the Phils going to stick Thome with? He had a no-trade contract and indicated that there were only two teams he would play for.

People forget that Thome is 35 years old-an age when bat spead can go south.  IMO, this was a terrible deal....Why trade two of your better prospects and ARow for a guy whose health is questionable, but also is old? Trading your best young pitchers only makes sense whern you , A. get something of value in return, and B. have an intention of signing Guys like Buehrle, Garland, Contreras to long term deals. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It seems as though a world championship hasn't changed Kenny....he still has an infatuation with over-the-hill players and a penchant for over paying to get them.  Unfortunately, the rest of the baseball GMs know this which is why they typically pants him on deals.  I thought that Kenny had a terrific off-season last year beacuse for once in his life, he was patient and let the deals come to him and not vice versa. Who else were the Phils going to stick Thome with? He had a no-trade contract and indicated that there were only two teams he would play for.

Perhaps the Indians for Coco Crisp and David Riske? Would you rather have seen Thome killing us again with the Indians like he did for all those years?

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:21 AM)
People forget that Thome is 35 years old-an age when bat spead can go south.  IMO, this was a terrible deal....Why trade two of your better prospects and ARow for a guy whose health is questionable, but also is old? Trading your best young pitchers only makes sense whern you , A. get something of value in return, and B. have an intention of signing Guys like Buehrle, Garland, Contreras to long term deals. I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

It seems as though a world championship hasn't changed Kenny....he still has an infatuation with over-the-hill players and a penchant for over paying to get them.  Unfortunately, the rest of the baseball GMs know this which is why they typically pants him on deals.  I thought that Kenny had a terrific off-season last year beacuse for once in his life, he was patient and let the deals come to him and not vice versa. Who else were the Phils going to stick Thome with? He had a no-trade contract and indicated that there were only two teams he would play for.

Wow, I don't know where to start. I guess my first question is, when was the last time Kenny got "pantsed" on a deal? Outside of the Todd Ritchie deal, its hard to find a deal where somebody totally got the best of Kenny. Yes, some of his deals didn't work out. But that doesn't mean he was wrong at the time for making them.

As far as the part about Kenny waiting for deals to come to him last offseason, I'd like to find out how you know this? All indications were that Kenny sought out the Lee for Podsednik deal.

Yes, Thome isn't exactly young, and yes, he did have some health issues last year. But he says he's healthy. Kenny says he's healthy. His physical said he's healthy. And if you base his performance on all the years he was healthy (basically every year before last), the guy should put up his usual big numbers.

Many often forget how poor our offense was throughout a good portion of the regular season. We seemed to lack consistant run production and guys who could get on base. A healthy Thome should fill both of these needs.

Yes, this is all speculation. But its probably safer to assume that Thome will perform at his normal level or close to it than to assume that these two minor leaguers will amount to anything, or that Aaron Rowand will become more than an average player.

I'm just so giddy after this deal. Of course, losing ARow sucks badly but to pick up the dominant LH bat that is Thome is astounding. I think what made the deal is the fact that Philly picked up 1/2 the contract (obviously). I like the deal and assuming (hopefully) that PK re-ups, our offense is way improved w/o losing any immediate pitching. Depending on who the CF will be and if PK re-signs, this is a great deal. I know I'll be watching the press conference at 1 CT.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Wow, I don't know where to start.  I guess my first question is, when was the last time Kenny got "pantsed" on a deal?  Outside of the Todd Ritchie deal, its hard to find a deal where somebody totally got the best of Kenny.  Yes, some of his deals didn't work out.  But that doesn't mean he was wrong at the time for making them.

As far as the part about Kenny waiting for deals to come to him last offseason, I'd like to find out how you know this?  All indications were that Kenny sought out the Lee for Podsednik deal.

Yes, Thome isn't exactly young, and yes, he did have some health issues last year.  But he says he's healthy.  Kenny says he's healthy.  His physical said he's healthy.  And if you base his performance on all the years he was healthy (basically every year before last), the guy should put up his usual big numbers.

Many often forget how poor our offense was throughout a good portion of the regular season.  We seemed to lack consistant run production and guys who could get on base.  A healthy Thome should fill both of these needs.

Yes, this is all speculation.  But its probably safer to assume that Thome will perform at his normal level or close to it than to assume that these two minor leaguers will amount to anything, or that Aaron Rowand will become more than an average player.

I have no problem with letting Aaron go. I think that Brian Andersen in the long term will be a better player. I only think Thome could have been had for less. I don't question is health. I do question his ability to maintain his skill level for the next three years, given his age.

This sucks. Aaron Rowand has been my favorite player on the Sox since he ran into the wall twice in the same week like 4 or 5 years ago. I hate this deal. It's just not right. Aaron deserves better. I don't care what his numbers were last year, I think he's the best outfielder we have (had). He added so much off the field too. At least I didn't already get the Rowand jersey I was gonna ask for for Christmas.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
The best OF we have had?  You didnt see Dye outperform his last season or all those seasons of Magglio and Carlos Lee?

I'm only talking about last year. I think you misunderstood me. Flat out, I think he is better than both Podsednik and Dye. And no I did not see Dye out-perform him last season, because he didn't. When you add up everything Rowand adds, on the field and off, I think he is better than Jermaine.

defensively he is better than Dye but what else... Neither of them really showed off a good arm last season well accurate arm.....

Dye hit for a higher avg, = amount of doubles, hit more than double the amount of HR's, and although neither of them were great in both categories Dye had more walks and less K's.

Also Dye's OPS was .100 higher than Rowands...

I'm just going to say this on the Thome trade. I'm very happy we brought in a bonafide middle of the order hitter, but I think we could have maybe given up a little less (e.g Ray Liotta instead of Gio), which is what the people against the trade are saying. But of course, we'll hav to wait and see how Gio and Dan do in the future.

On the Rowand vs. Dye, on last season, Dye wins easily. Better OPS, more power, better plate discipline etc. Now we don't know if that's going to continue, for all we know, Rowand could easily rebound in Philly, and Dye could regress back to his Oakland numbers. But I think Dye's going to stay around his 2005 numbers again, if he can stay healthy, which is of course always the key with him.

As of NOW, does anyone think Gio and Haigwood worth $22 millions? Answer that question, then answer the following question. If you are building a team RIGHT NOW, would you take Rowand OVER Thome?

My answers are NOT EVEN CLOSE! Kenny is trying to win a World Series ONE MORE TIME. In all of the papers that I have read regarding this trade, the experts have given Kenny a thumbs up. Kenny is not here to please you OR me. He's here trying to bring the trophy to the south side ONE MORE TIME.

Now my answers:

Regardless how potentially good you think Gio and Haigwood are, they are NOT worth $22 millions as of now.

Regardless of the difference in age, I take Thome in a heartbeat over Rowand.

Aaron Rowand is a World Series Champion center fielder.

Jim Thome is a career stud that is proven yet unproven.

Before we fall too much in love with KW, although we all do, lets consider what the PK & JG trade for Randy Johnson that didnt happen would have done for last years WS run. If Jerry Colangelo wouldnt have punted then KW would look very bad today....Thank Goodness!

Edited by whitesoxmanager

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)

Before we fall too much in love with KW, although we all do, lets consider what the PK & JG trade for Randy Johnson that didnt happen would have done for last years WS run.  If Jerry Colangelo wouldnt have punted then KW would look very bad today....Thank Goodness!

And Damaso Marte was a World Series Champion reliever, who actually got a World Series win in Game 3. Doesn't make him irreplaceable.

As for the possible Randy Johnson trade, yes it would have made things alot different. Doesn't mean that it didn't make sense at the time. Remember, last offseason Jon Garland was considered nothing more than a mediocre pitcher and Konerko was entering the last year of his contract. And don't forget, during a good portion of this past season, there were a lot of people around here (including me) that wouldn't have minded seeing Konerko walk at the end of the year.

Am I glad we didn't pull the trigger? Of course! But its hard to judge a GM by the moves he does not make, especially when we didn't know what the next season had in store for those who were going to be traded. The luxury of hindsight does not apply when it comes to these decisions.

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)

Before we fall too much in love with KW, although we all do, lets consider what the PK & JG trade for Randy Johnson that didnt happen would have done for last years WS run.  If Jerry Colangelo wouldnt have punted then KW would look very bad today....Thank Goodness!

No offense but you basically just pulled that out of your ass. There were rumors that PK and Garland were being offered but we have no freaking clue if that was true. I could tell you that Kenny balked at that trade because he didnt want to give up both Jon and Paul.