Thank You Frank Thomas.

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 07:08 AM)
Forgive me.. kindof.. but I think I've said exactly that several times already.

And, again, I don't know where you heard Frank and Kenny are "friends".. but aside from professional courtesy, they are not. "Friends" don't try to trade you away when they think their boss isn't looking... "friends" don't talk s*** about you to the media... and "friends" don't disclose personal rifts. Kenny has been nothing but UNPROFESSIONAL where Frank is concerned.. and was called on it a few years ago at Soxfest -  :nono  - and admitted as much.

Even before he was GM.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me.. kindof.. but I think I've said exactly that several times already.

And, again, I don't know where you heard Frank and Kenny are "friends".. but aside from professional courtesy, they are not. "Friends" don't try to trade you away when they think their boss isn't looking... "friends" don't talk s*** about you to the media... and "friends" don't disclose personal rifts. Kenny has been nothing but UNPROFESSIONAL where Frank is concerned.. and was called on it a few years ago at Soxfest -  :nono  - and admitted as much.

Who did Kenny try to trade Frank for? Just curious, because I never heard those rumors.

I think it is way too early to be singing the swan song. Thome gave Shapiro first crack to trade for him & Shapiro turned down the offer. The consensus around the league was that teams needed to see him in action in ST before making a decision. So no matter how we fans want to spin it Thome is a rehabing player coming off major surgery. That is not a sure thing.

As for Kong he did not receive a clean bill of health either. A degenerative hip disorder is a significant risk. I would say no less significant than Crede's back disorder.

The general consensus with Thomas is that he came back to soon. So we can assume I think that he is going to take more time for the bone to heal this time around. That suggests to me the earliest he would be able to play for any team is after the all-star break.

Adding a healthy Thomas to the bench for the 2nd half would act like a mid-season trade. He might just be the best PH option in the game today when you consider his OBP. With the White Sox expected to add even more speed you can envision how Ozzie could use Thomas in the 2nd half.

Consider 2005: Kong 575 AB's, Jurrasic 490 AB's, Thomas 105 AB's.

That's not including the post season. If it's the same disorder that Ditka had then it would not be wise for the White Sox NOT to expect 575 AB's & another post-season out of Kong. It would be wise to trim that down to 450 AB.

With respect to Thome he had 193AB's last year. Now I certainly don't want to rain on the White Sox off-season parade but this is the first time in his career he is coming back from a major injury & rehab. It would be wise as well to expect no more than 450 AB from him as well. Which means there is another 200AB available for Thomas.

Aug has been this team's achilles heal for the past 5 yrs. Something always happens that tightens the screws on the White Sox. For Cleveland Aug has been the time to smell the roses. For two years in a row they have been amongst the best performers in Aug.

So having Thomas as insurance for the 2nd half is a smart move for the White Sox to make. As long as KW doesn't say anything to offend Frank I think it's in the cards.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Who did Kenny try to trade Frank for?  Just curious, because I never heard those rumors.

I recall his name coming up in trade talks to Boston in 2002. And Frank said he would have accepted any trade to anywhere, because if he wasn't wanted on the team, he'd go somewhere that he was wanted...or something to that extent.

I don't believe a trade was ever worked out, or I don't believe JR ever let KW work out a trade.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
They probably mean he won't be offerred arbitration. He's a free agent, his option was declined. He can't be released.

the only option the Sox really had was to work out a deal to have Frank decline the arbit offer so that they could keep negotiating... Short of that, unless Frank hangs out until May 1st, we have seen the last of Frank Thomas in a Sox uniform, because the deadline is quickly upon us (Dec 7th I believe)

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
Some of you have said this already, but I think our doctors realize he's physically a long shot at best to come back.

That said, now that we've won a World Series I wouldn't mind seeing him sign with the Cubs. The Cubs will never win a Series so they are no threat to our title, and it'd be great to see Frank whack a lot of homers in the small Wrigley.

My guess though is he's done.

Wow.

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
IF frank played for the Cubs, I'd f***ing vomit

Frank Thomas will not play for any national league team. Bank on that. If he does, it's as a pinch hitter only, and hell the White Sox could use him for that as easily as anyone else.

He hurt himself originally while fielding a ground ball from Juan Pierre. It's insanity to think that he could ever play the field again.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I think it is way too early to be singing the swan song.  Thome gave Shapiro first crack to trade for him & Shapiro turned down the offer.  The consensus around the league was that teams needed to see him in action in ST before making a decision.  So no matter how we fans want to spin it Thome is a rehabing player coming off major surgery.  That is not a sure thing.

As for Kong he did not receive a clean bill of health either.  A degenerative hip disorder is a significant risk.  I would say no less significant than Crede's back disorder. 

The general consensus with Thomas is that he came back to soon.  So we can assume I think that he is going to take more time for the bone to heal this time around.  That suggests to me the earliest he would be able to play for any team is after the all-star break. 

Adding a healthy Thomas to the bench for the 2nd half would act like a mid-season trade.  He might just be the best PH option in the game today when you consider his OBP.  With the White Sox expected to add even more speed you can envision how Ozzie could use Thomas in the 2nd half.

Consider 2005: Kong 575 AB's, Jurrasic 490 AB's, Thomas 105 AB's.

That's not including the post season.  If it's the same disorder that Ditka had then it would not be wise for the White Sox NOT to expect 575 AB's & another post-season out of Kong.  It would be wise to trim that down to 450 AB. 

With respect to Thome he had 193AB's last year.  Now I certainly don't want to rain on the White Sox off-season parade but this is the first time in his career he is coming back from a major injury & rehab.  It would be wise as well to expect no more than 450 AB from him as well.  Which means there is another 200AB available for Thomas. 

Aug has been this team's achilles heal for the past 5 yrs.  Something always happens that tightens the screws on the White Sox.  For Cleveland Aug has been the time to smell the roses.  For two years in a row they have been amongst the best performers in Aug. 

So having Thomas as insurance for the 2nd half is a smart move for the White Sox to make.  As long as KW doesn't say anything to offend Frank I think it's in the cards.

right on the money. The reason Konerko's average was so low in the 1st half was because he played everyday because Gload was injured. He was the only guy who could play a legit 1st Base. If Konerko got more time off I think he would be better. Thome can still play 1st Base just fine. While Thomas wouldn't play in the field he would Pinch Hit and if Konerko or Thome had a night off he would be the guy playing. He would still get 200 At Bats which is close enough to what he would get if Thome wasn't here (Frank probably comes back in June anyways.)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
To quote Hawk, "WHERE WOULD HE PLAY?!?"

Besides, I think the Cubs are okay with Derrek Lee at first base.

I think Derek Lee may very well be wearing pinstripes at the start of 2007, but that doesn't affect whether or not they'd want Frankt his year.

I still say Frank simply cannot play the field.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
I think Derek Lee may very well be wearing pinstripes at the start of 2007, but that doesn't affect whether or not they'd want Frankt his year.

I still say Frank simply cannot play the field.

What makes you think the Yankees can just get any player they want?