AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!!!!!!

Sonik22

Grinderstad's hit that made it 3-0 was the sole reason we won IMO....if he makes an out and we turn bases loaded no out into zero additional runs, I bet we curl up and hide the rest of the night. Count with a strange outing, but it ends up good on paper.

Thornton is our #1 setup guy right now, I really don't care what hand he throws with, and I give Ozzie credit for getting Jose out and putting the right guy in for a tough spot in the 7th. Logan got the LEFTY out (no Ozzie, LOOGY doesn't mean switch hitter or right, it means lefty), MacDougal still blows.

Not a whole lot surprising stuff tonight, although winning back to back games where we gave up 6 and 5 runs is a great sign. A.J. is hitting a lot better, Konerko is starting to hit a lot better, Dye's approach is looking better, Jim is back, even Cintron now that he seems to be refocused look good at the dish, and Terrero was good.

Tonight went pretty well.....but our bullpen has 2 trusty arms (one the closer, the 2nd a lefty) and a STRICT LOOGY only right now. Somebody needs to step up, and I wonder if something is coming with the bullpen considering we dumped vote for Pedro. This bullpen sucks right now, and we're toast if they don't wake up, even if we hit better.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Well to be fair, if Ozuna slows down and touches 3rd, it's 8-3 heading to the bottom of the 8th and the pen is still untouched. Pablo's defense will cost us at least 1 run a game at 3rd, which is why we have to decide if we DL Crede or not very quickly. MacDougal still looks awful though, despite that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(ROC Sox Fan @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
How come once our offense finally shows up, our pen starts to crumble?

Because we've been predicting this from the start of this offensive slide, but I think from the starters more than the bullpen. Our rotation is still surprisingly consistent.

Hopefully things right themselves and we get on a serious roll, since it hasn't happened since mid 05.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
I loved our offense this game.

MacDougal needs to throw strikes.

Two Fridays ago, the White Sox fielded a lineup in which the top hitter was Darin Erstad (.258), next was Tadahito Iguchi (.236) -- and not one of the other seven hitters was over .216. The White Sox as a team entered Sunday's series finale with the Cubs batting only .223 -- leaving talk-show callers screaming for the head of hitting coach Greg Walker.

"You know when you sign on as a hitting coach that there is a termination date," says Walker, who already has received votes of confidence this season from both general manager Kenny Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen. "There's going to be a day when I decide -- or they decide -- that I'm not going to do this anymore. Right now, the White Sox family thinks I'm the best guy for this job. As long as they feel that way, I'm going to come here and keep working just as hard."

Those in the industry point to the usual contributing factors as to why so many hitters are off to such slow starts, among them:

The natural arc as steroid testing becomes entrenched in the game.

Cold and wet weather early in the season.

The recent influx of good, young arms like San Diego's Jake Peavy, Detroit's Justin Verlander, Boston's Jonathan Papelbon, Philadelphia's Cole Hamels, Seattle's Felix Hernandez, the Angels' Jered Weaver, Pittsburgh's Ian Snell, San Francisco's Matt Cain and others.

from cbssportsline.com

MMac better get his s*** together. We already have a collection of shaky guys out in the pen, with supposedly a few dependables(MMac, Thornton, FlapjackBobby). If MMac decides to suck for a little while, we're gonna be hurting for an alternate setup man.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
Well to be fair, if Ozuna slows down and touches 3rd, it's 8-3 heading to the bottom of the 8th and the pen is still untouched. Pablo's defense will cost us at least 1 run a game at 3rd, which is why we have to decide if we DL Crede or not very quickly. MacDougal still looks awful though, despite that.

I thought Ozuna actually made a good play there and the ump blew it. I mean Ozuna had a brain fart that there were two outs, but I thought he made the play. He stepped right on the bag and caught the ball and then fired to first. He was trying to make a double play, which was uneccessary and a mistake, but the ump blew that call.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 21, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
MMac better get his s*** together. We already have a collection of shaky guys out in the pen, with supposedly a few dependables(MMac, Thornton, FlapjackBobby). If MMac decides to suck for a little while, we're gonna be hurting for an alternate setup man.

Other than Bobby I have no faith in anyone coming out of the bullpen. It feels like a coin flip whether a guy will be effective or not when they take the hill.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
It was nice to see the Sox kick the s*** out of a very good pitcher in Joe Blanton, and take advantage of some opportunities on offense. I think you are slowly seeing the confidence come back to our hitters.

I would have to agree. The upcoming schedule is very favorable. I can see us gaining some ground in the next few weeks as Detroit and Cleveland are bound to cool off at some point.