2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

C.C. is picking it up, as he's allowed only 1 run in his last 20 innings or so.

Quick question for those lurking: who would you say were the players most associated with the Sox this offseason? I was thinking it was M. Cabrera, Rowand, Fukudome, and T. Hunter. Anyone else?

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)
Owings vs Dempster....your thoughts?

Seriously? I wouldn't bet money either way, baseball's too variable and I don't know enough about Owings. If forced I'd lean towards Owings because even if he's a 5.00 ERA pitcher, he still adds value on offense. Your implication in your posts about Dempster are hilarious, though. You're certainly correct about Dempster, though -- his 22-to-19 K-to-BB ratio and his .192 BABIP don't scream "luck" one bit. Nope, not at all.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2008 -> 03:07 AM)
Seriously? I wouldn't bet money either way, baseball's too variable and I don't know enough about Owings. If forced I'd lean towards Owings because even if he's a 5.00 ERA pitcher, he still adds value on offense. Your implication in your posts about Dempster are hilarious, though. You're certainly correct about Dempster, though -- his 22-to-19 K-to-BB ratio and his .192 BABIP don't scream "luck" one bit. Nope, not at all.

What's his GO/FO ratio this year? It's been interesting watching him, as he's about 5 mph slower this season.

I'm not even saying Dempster is great. It was just in response to J4Life's post that if Dempster was on Sox, I'd want him out of rotation.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
Yeah, that 3.16 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, and .173 batting average makes me think he should be out of the rotation. 4 of Owings 6 starts have been against the offensive powerhouses of the Giants/Padres/Dodgers to account for a 4.66 ERA. I like Owings, but he wouldn't even be higher than a 5th starter in the AL.

LMAO. You are so full of it sometimes. Ryan Dempster's career ERA as a starter is well over 5. s***, it might be over 6. And you're slurping his ass because of a few decent starts? Lou has been babying his sorry ass all year. Taking him out just before he's about to get slammed. How many times has he gone past the 6th inning? Once? And you want to talk about competiton? He's faced the Pirates twice and the Nationals. Not to mention a Brewers team that's fallen way short of offensive expecations. He could be sporting the exact same numbers he is now with the Sox and you would be saying s*** like "it's a fluke" or "it's just a matter of time before he's exposed." Just admit you like the Cubs. It's not that difficult.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)
LMAO. You are so full of it sometimes. Ryan Dempster's career ERA as a starter is well over 5. s***, it might be over 6. And you're slurping his ass because of a few decent starts? Lou has been babying his sorry ass all year. Taking him out just before he's about to get slammed. How many times has he gone past the 6th inning? Once? And you want to talk about competiton? He's faced the Pirates twice and the Nationals. Not to mention a Brewers team that's fallen way short of offensive expecations. He could be sporting the exact same numbers he is now with the Sox and you would be saying s*** like "it's a fluke" or "it's just a matter of time before he's exposed." Just admit you like the Cubs. It's not that difficult.

Yep, I like the Cubs. There's probably no one on the planet who hates them more than I do. You were probably one of those posters earlier in the year that said their offense isn't good. It's very possible their offense ends up with one of the best hitting players at the following positions: catcher/1b/3b/lf/rf

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)

Would you say that Gavin Floyd is a fluke then? His career ERA is worse than Dempster's as a starter. And BTW, I mentioned the teams that Owings has faced because I knew you'd bring up who Dempster faced.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:17 AM)
Find me a post where I said Floyd or Danks are the real deal based off nice April's and I'll never post on this board again. But atleast with them they're young and there's upside. There's no upside with Dempster. He's just not that good.

I hope you're right...please, please don't think I'm rooting for him to do well.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Would you say that Gavin Floyd is a fluke then? His career ERA is worse than Dempster's as a starter. And BTW, I mentioned the teams that Owings has faced because I knew you'd bring up who Dempster faced.

Gavin Floyd isn't a 31 year old pitcher with a long history of sucking. And he very well could be a fluke. Dempster had one season out of 6 (including his rookie year where he made 11 starts) as a starter with an ERA under 4.7. He was good in 2000 posting a 3.66 ERA but that was 8 years ago and he has basically sucked since then. 3 of his 6 seasons as a starter his ERA was over 5. The evidence weighs heavily that Dempster's start is a fluke.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Did anyone see the two throws Rick Ankiel made tonight?

His arm is sick, you DONT run on Ankiel. Too bad he couldnt keep that aim while on the mound

Richie Sexson charged the mound on a pitch that was head high, but down the middle of the plate. Kinsler got hit the inning before.

Seemed like a desperate attempt to ignite his team, IMO.

Sexson will miss some games this weekend, I'm guessing. Threw his helmet and connected with Gabbard and took him down in a head lock.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
Richie Sexson charged the mound on a pitch that was head high, but down the middle of the plate. Kinsler got hit the inning before.

Seemed like a desperate attempt to ignite his team, IMO.

Sexson will miss some games this weekend, I'm guessing. Threw his helmet and connected with Gabbard and took him down in a head lock.

that was crazy. the ball was not even coming towards him. I would guess at least a 5 game suspension. You cant throw your helmet at a dude

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ May 8, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
that was crazy. the ball was not even coming towards him. I would guess at least a 5 game suspension. You cant throw your helmet at a dude

Sexson's HR agains the Cubs in AZ when he was with the D'Backs was insane. He hit it so high off that centerfield wall. It was one of the most memorable HRs that I've seen as it happened as far as power goes, obviously PK and Pods hit a couple that were more memorable, that I've seen. It's right up there with one Canseco hit in Milwaukee when he was with the Sox

How about those fighting fish? 21-14, best start in franchise history.

I actually really enjoy watching their games. I set up my laptop with a Sox game and then put the Marlins on the TV since we get all of their games. I never really watched any games before last year (last year was my first summer down here), but I love their announcers. Even when they sucked last year, they still made it very enjoyable to watch.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ May 9, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)
How about those fighting fish? 21-14, best start in franchise history.

I actually really enjoy watching their games. I set up my laptop with a Sox game and then put the Marlins on the TV since we get all of their games. I never really watched any games before last year (last year was my first summer down here), but I love their announcers. Even when they sucked last year, they still made it very enjoyable to watch.

Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton are glorious. I've been watching them since 2003 though, I got into them a bit that year with Cabrera and Willis, of course they did their thing against the Cubs, and I have friends down there so I've followed them for a while now. They used to have Kasper before he went to the Cubs and he and Hutton were great too doing the games. They entered this year with a payroll of 24 million, less than A-Rod makes by himself this season. I'm not sure how that's affected with today's news, but they locked up baseball's best all around player, Hanley Ramirez, for 6 years and 72 million and he'll be on the team when their new stadium opens in 2011. So yeah, love the fighting fish. :headbang

Btw, off topic, but are closers blowing more games than usual so far this year? Sure as hell seems like it, this is me calling for help. I know you'll see this post Kalapse, can you find out if closers are struggling more than usual this year ie blown saves around baseball?

Edited by whitesoxfan101