Carlos Quentin - Nick Swisher - Jermaine Dye

Steve9347

Yeah, he looks good in the lineup... plus, I don't know when the Sox have had a cannon like that in their outfield. Surgically repaired what??

I am 100% against Jerry Owens being anything more than a 4th outfielder upon his return from the DL. I thought Swisher leading off was a waste of his power, but the dude is always getting on base. I love it. I also believe he is a plus defender in centerfield. What a talent!

Quentin - Swisher - Dye is fine with me for awhile.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
I prefer to keep BA as the 4th OF right now. Much better defense off the bench, and if his ST numbers hold true to his development, the potential of a much better bat off the bench as well

I prefer BA as well, but there is no way Ozzie does. JO was the starter in spring, if he is healthy, he is coming up and BA going down as much suckage as that is.

Steve, I agree with everything except for Swish being above average in center.An above average CF would be able to take their eye off the ball and run to the spot and wait for the ball to get to them,Swish watches the ball the whole way through and that slows him down alot.

QUOTE(shipps @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Steve, I agree with everything except for Swish being above average in center.An above average CF would be able to take their eye off the ball and run to the spot and wait for the ball to get to them,Swish watches the ball the whole way through and that slows him down alot.

I said the same thing when I saw Swisher keep his eye on a ball yesterday that was hit out to the warning track in CF. Like you said, a good CF, right after contact, puts their head down and runs to the spot, then looks up to find the ball and then catch it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
I said the same thing when I saw Swisher keep his eye on a ball yesterday that was hit out to the warning track in CF. Like you said, a good CF, right after contact, puts their head down and runs to the spot, then looks up to find the ball and then catch it.

he caught it, Thats all I am concerned about right now. Such a petty thing to gripe about, whether he put his head down or not, sometimes outfielders lose the ball when they put their head down and run to the spot they think the ball is going to.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
he caught it, Thats all I am concerned about right now. Such a petty thing to gripe about, whether he put his head down or not, sometimes outfielders lose the ball when they put their head down and run to the spot they think the ball is going to.

Its not a gripe.Its a concern for future fly balls that he is not going to get to because his ass and face are pointing the same direction.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)

I agree!

Enough nitpicking. For Christ's sake, it isn't like he is Mackowiak out there...

He may not be "ideal". But nothing he has done so far would lead me to believe that during the course of the season, should it stay this way, that he can't be good enough at the position to play it well.

I think CQ has made a case for himself to stay in this lineup. With that said, Swish will be our centerfielder.

QUOTE(shipps @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Its not a gripe.Its a concern for future fly balls that he is not going to get to because his ass and face are pointing the same direction.

However, he's already had a ton of opportunities, and he's been right where he's been needed each and everytime. He's easily as good a CF'er as the overrated Aaron Rowand out there. He also blows Jerry Owens away. The only better OF'er we have defensively is Brian Anderson, and he'll never get another shot anyway.

Carlos Quentin truly looks legit. Does anyone else think he looks ridiculously similar to Jose Canseco at times? His batting stance is a dead ringer, and when he's in the outfield with the shades on, my God the similarities are just too many!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
However, he's already had a ton of opportunities, and he's been right where he's been needed each and everytime. He's easily as good a CF'er as the overrated Aaron Rowand out there. He also blows Jerry Owens away. The only better OF'er we have defensively is Brian Anderson, and he'll never get another shot anyway.

Carlos Quentin truly looks legit. Does anyone else think he looks ridiculously similar to Jose Canseco at times? His batting stance is a dead ringer, and when he's in the outfield with the shades on, my God the similarities are just too many!

It is uncanny. And he looks to have that same sort of unreal power, except it looks to be legit, and not pharmaceutical. I just hope he doesnt end up with the same sort of back problems that Canseco ended up with because of his corkscrew swing.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)

That's the bottom line for me. Does he make the plays he needs to make? Yes. He made a couple of plays yesterday that were better than an average CF would make.

QUOTE(shipps @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)

Rowand always had his ass and face pointing in the wrong direction, and so does Jim Edmonds. I could care less about the graceful run to the ball as long as he does indeed run to the ball

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
It is uncanny. And he looks to have that same sort of unreal power, except it looks to be legit, and not pharmaceutical. I just hope he doesnt end up with the same sort of back problems that Canseco ended up with because of his corkscrew swing.

And the team obviously realizes it too, as Swish called him Carlos "Consequito" Quentin yesterday...

After the Spring, I'm happy with BA as the 3/4 CF and actually would like to see him have opportunities to be successful. Increasing value in players is not a bad idea as long as it doesn't hurt the team.

And it is great to see that Oz has some options there. In fact he has some options all around the field.

I don't think Jerry Owens is ready to come back yet and needs time rehabbing at Charlotte. Plus we need to see Brian Anderson perform before making early season changes. If things happen with roster changes the first person that needs to be looked at is Alexei R as I haven't seen a sign yet at the start of the real season that he is ready for big league pitching.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
but what so ever shall we do with Ramirez?? Oh yea! 2nd Base!!!

I'll definitely take Uribe over Ramirez at 2B until Richar is healthy. Alexei should be in AAA right now learning how to hit a pitch that isn't a 90 MPH straight fastball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
I'll definitely take Uribe over Ramirez at 2B until Richar is healthy. Alexei should be in AAA right now learning how to hit a pitch that isn't a 90 MPH straight fastball.

When is Richar expected to return?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)

There was no need to put his head down and run for the ball because the CF wall was 420 ft. away. The main reason you put your head down is so you can gauge where the wall is, and that obviously wasn't necessary.