Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
Probably so, and that may account for more respect being given to his feelings toward Iowa State. The people who are familiar with Iowa State and Ames in general, where his parents work and he has had relationships with the program are the closest. I doubt Barnes would like to alienate or act disrespectful to the possibility of being a Cyclone to them. Hey, I would never say never, but it seems from most following his recruitment thet Iowa State is more a familiarity thing and he is showing them respect, but not a top contender. I would much rather see him there then Duke though, so good luck if UNC can't win him over to wear Carolina blue.

Barnes has kept it pretty close to the vest about his feelings to this point though, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up anywhere left on his list.

His dad isn't really a big part of his life anymore. His mom works in the music department.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be an amazing weekend for Barnes.

BLUE TEAM

Shammond Williams

Ed Cota

Ty Lawson

Vince Carter

Dante Calabria

Jawad Williams

Wayne Ellington

Rashad McCants

Brandan Wright

Sean May

WHITE TEAM

Brendan Haywood

Raymond Felton

Bobby Frasor

Jackie Manuel

Jeff McInnis

Danny Green

Marvin Williams

Rasheed Wallace

Antawn Jamison

Jerry Stackhouse

"Coaches expected to attend include Larry Brown, John Kuester, George Karl, Dave Hanners, Pat Sullivan and Phil Ford. A host of other former players, including Ademola Okulaja, Hubert Davis, Eric Montross and Julius Peppers are expected to attend but will not play."

Michael Jordan will also be in the house.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Why be Elton Brand when you can be Marcus Fizer?

Why be Shane Battier when you can be Fred Hoiberg?

:huh

I hope he is thinking like that! Duke appears to be the leader but the normally tight lipped Barnes and family are openly impressed about their trip to Carolina for the alumni game. He mentioned sitting 15 feet from Jordan and watching Vince Carter put on a show during the game, and how his family was wowed with all that the Carolina "family" has to offer. The Heels are making a big impact on the Barnes family, but he still seems to be Dukes' to lose at this point.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
I hope he is thinking like that! Duke appears to be the leader but the normally tight lipped Barnes and family are openly impressed about their trip to Carolina for the alumni game. He mentioned sitting 15 feet from Jordan and watching Vince Carter put on a show during the game, and how his family was wowed with all that the Carolina "family" has to offer. The Heels are making a big impact on the Barnes family, but he still seems to be Dukes' to lose at this point.

He had a great in home with Roy last night, leading to a lot of good feelings about UNC's chances. It seems to be down to UNC and Duke with Kansas behind now, with UNC in the lead and visits to Duke and Kansas to go.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
He had a great in home with Roy last night, leading to a lot of good feelings about UNC's chances. It seems to be down to UNC and Duke with Kansas behind now, with UNC in the lead and visits to Duke and Kansas to go.
I hope you are right, but I still think Duke is in the best position at this point. I see UNC cancelled their home visit with Jones though. Roy is amazing with his recruits, I hope we have another "surprise" like when Brandon Wright verballed at late night with Roy! Edited by JuiceCruz16

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Well crap. Ryan Hare suspended indefinitely from the Salukis squad for some incident. Downer.

Beat somebody up for messing with his girl. Fay also got a drinking ticket this past weekend so we'll see if anything happens with him. All of our players are banned from bars for a while now too which is a good thing considering Nick Evans and Carlton Fay spend almost as much time there as I do, and that's not a good thing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 01:28 PM)
Beat somebody up for messing with his girl. Fay also got a drinking ticket this past weekend so we'll see if anything happens with him. All of our players are banned from bars for a while now too which is a good thing considering Nick Evans and Carlton Fay spend almost as much time there as I do, and that's not a good thing.

Maybe Nick will have more time to practice not dropping rebounds and dribbling, as well as shooting. He was talking a lot of s*** at the rec today, he's cocky for someone that's proved nothing except being tall. I really do hope he will back it up this season.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
New book by ESPN uses Sagarin rankings to rate best all-time college basketball programs...the kicker...Illinois is 6th.

Sagarin rankings

I may be an Illini hater and all but how can you put them over any school that has multiple championships. Duke has 3 titles and still is below Illinois? Doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
I may be an Illini hater and all but how can you put them over any school that has multiple championships. Duke has 3 titles and still is below Illinois? Doesn't make sense to me.

There are three teams in the Big Ten that are behind them don't deserve it.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)

Because it is based on win loss record and the strength of teams you have played. Probably a similar formula to the RPI. Just shows how much Illinois has underachieved in the tournament more than anything.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
Because it is based on win loss record and the strength of teams you have played. Probably a similar formula to the RPI. Just shows how much Illinois has underachieved in the tournament more than anything.

Sagarin talked with Katz yesterday and they discussed Illinois. Basically they've been a good program throughout the span of this report (from '38 to last year), so that's why they're really high. It's all about consistency.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Sagarin talked with Katz yesterday and they discussed Illinois. Basically they've been a good program throughout the span of this report (from '38 to last year), so that's why they're really high. It's all about consistency.

Duke was s***ty before Coach K.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Duke was s***ty before Coach K.
I hate Duke, but they were far from s***ty before Coach K. They had some down times, for their standards, but other then Carolina, UCLA, and Kentucky along with possibly Kansas and Indiana nobody matches up with the consistency of Duke being a legit national championship contender throughout the history of their program. Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
So can any Illini fans tell me about Nnanna Egwu? Looks like he just committed. The Illiniloyalty board is acting like we just landed Patrick Ewing. All I know is this guy has only been playing ball for a few years and is extremely raw.

Very raw, but a ton of talent. Perfect fit for the Illini IMO because he's a guy that needs coaching and development, and Weber and his staff should be able to do that. The 2009 class for Illinois is really good, the 2010 class is even better, but the 2011 class might be the topper if done properly.

As for the obligatory talk about my school part of the post since everybody else did it, NIU should rebound this year after 3 horrible seasons. We won the MAC West in 2005-2006 and Sporting News predicts we will do it again this year, which I could certainly see happening. Of course, the MAC West absolutely blows, but I'll leave that small detail out ;). We should have one of the, if not the best backcourt in the MAC with Jake Anderson (first team all MAC player), Xavier Silias (Colorado transfer) and Tony Nixon (true freshman). Need somebody other than Sean Kowal to step up in the frontcourt though, and our free throw shooting percentage needs to go up and turnovers need to go down. Our first two games are at Northwestern and at Illinois (wow that will be weird for me, as will be the football game there next season). I am hopeful I can get to one of them if not both.

Edited by whitesoxfan101