Octavio Dotel

Quin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
Do we have any idea how much we will need to pay him in arb? I thought it was a small enough amount where he wouldn't definitely accept it.

I don't think you can offer him any less than 80% or something of what he made this year. So it's going to have to be at least $4.4 million or so.

I can't see him passing that up...

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
Offer arb and if he accepts, trade him and pay some salary, the better the propects, the more we pay, bullpen arms are hard to come by nowadays, I'm sure someone will bite.

I don't believe you can trade a player who accepts arbitration until sometime in June.

And I would say that Tony Pena is exactly Octavio Dotel lite. And I bet he improves on his numbers next year (and while he hasn't been good, he hasn't been as bad as a lot of people would like to think. Just look at his numbers since coming to the White Sox, and look at his last 10 outings or so).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
I don't think you can offer him any less than 80% or something of what he made this year. So it's going to have to be at least $4.4 million or so.

I can't see him passing that up...

And if Dotel countered with $6M he'd win.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
offer arb and let his ass go

I agree. I think Dotel is showing you the equivalent of Jermaine Dye 2nd half weardown after age and innings pile up. Though we do need to add couple "go to" guys in the pen, i dont think Dotel fits into those plans in 2010 and beyond.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
If we were to offer Dotel arbitration, and he accepted for say 4.4M would you then;

Try and trade Dotel for a spect or 2

OR

Keep him at that price?

You're going to have to pay for him for at least half the year. If you then trade him in July, you're not going to get the picks.

So the question then becomes is he worth $2.5 million through July, and then whatever assets he brings back via trade?

You may have to include money in the deal to trade him, and you may not get much back for him considering many teams are concerned about the exact same thing the Sox are - paying an inflated arb price or having him walk away and leaving you with nothing.

It's really a tough call.

and he's going to get more than $4.4 mill, because there is nothing he has done this season to deserve a pay cut; as Kalapse said, he'll go to the arbiter with $6 mill at the minimum, and he'll win, and he could even go with $6.25, and he could probably justify getting that too.

With the scare Williams got last year with Cabrera, there is no shot in hell he is going to offer arbitration to Dotel.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
and he's going to get more than $4.4 mill, because there is nothing he has done this season to deserve a pay cut; as Kalapse said, he'll go to the arbiter with $6 mill at the minimum, and he'll win, and he could even go with $6.25, and he could probably justify getting that too.

With the scare Williams got last year with Cabrera, there is no shot in hell he is going to offer arbitration to Dotel.

I wouldn't say there is no chance. I think if there was literally no chance, he would have been dealt after the non-waiver deadline. But that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
I wouldn't say there is no chance. I think if there was literally no chance, he would have been dealt after the non-waiver deadline. But that's just my opinion.

Depends on who claimed him and if they were willing to give anything up. It also depends on if Williams and company would be just fine with giving him $6 mill next year; if they are, then they will offer him arbitration. It's not as if Dotel has been bad, he's just been shaky at times.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
If we were to offer Dotel arbitration, and he accepted for say 4.4M would you then;

Try and trade Dotel for a spect or 2

OR

Keep him at that price?

Why would he "accept" for $4.4 million. Dotel would submit his figure and the arbitor would decide. How they work is they split the difference between the 2 figures, so lets say the Sox offered $4.4 million and Dotel countered with $6 million. $5.2 million is the center. If the arbitor feels he's worth $5,199,999, the Sox would win. If he or she feels he's worth $5,200,001, Dotel would get $6 million. Considering that would be a pretty big cut and he's still considered type A compension, Dotel would definitely win. There's a good chance the Sox would wind up paying him $7 million.

Considering no team apparently was interested in paying Dotel his current salary for a month, trading him a year older with just as big of contract most likely isn't a reality, unless you pick up some of it, and that wouldn't be very wise.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)
Why would we want Dotel back, at even half of his current price? He'll be 36 in November and has a 1.53 WHIP this year. We can get below-average pitching from our farm system at a fraction of his salary.

I'd imagine Jhonny Nunez is definitely going to be on our roster most likely come 2010.

But then again, guys like Adam Russell haven't done the job in the past either.

It all depends how KW uses the money.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 08:12 AM)
I'd imagine Jhonny Nunez is definitely going to be on our roster most likely come 2010.

But then again, guys like Adam Russell haven't done the job in the past either.

It all depends how KW uses the money.

If Kenny has money left over to sign Dotel to a one-year deal, I'd rather he allocate those funds towards giving Jenks (who can still pitch effectively) arbitration. If there's money left over, he's going to have to hit the FA market.