Comments Thread - 50 Fav Rock Acts

knightni

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)
I'm pretty shocked the Pixies aren't on this list. They were certainly in my top 20, and I think they even made my top 10 (although I don't really remember).

I've heard a little bit of stuff from the Pixies but I'll have to look into them further.

I think it would be pretty neat to see what didn't make the Top 50, what everybody picked that didn't make the list. For the record mine were MC5, Stooges, Chocolate Watch Band, Byrds, Animals, Pretty Things, Yardbirds, Flamin' Groovies and Captain Beefheart.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
This is gonna be a completely unpopular position, but I'll say it anyway.

I understand what those top 4 bands did for music and that they inspired bands I listen to now etc. But I could really give a s***. I can't connect with a band that had their height in popularity and influence decades before i was born. I think it's a little weird to be 25 and the Beatles are your favorite band ever. My mom lived through Beatlemania, I could never like or appreciate that band as much as she did.

I was in my teens in the late 80s/early 90s,long after the Beatles heyday yet they are my favorite band.

You would think Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zep,Beatles,etc. would be huge today considering that today's rock is the crappiest it's been since rock and roll music started.

My list:

1. Frank Zappa

2. The Beatles

3. Jimi Hendrix

4. Bob Dylan

5. The Who

6. Sly and the Family Stone

7. Nirvana

8. Led Zeppelin

9. The Kinks

10. Pink Floyd

11. Talking Heads

12. The Pixies

13. The Rolling Stones

14. Queens of the Stone Age

15. Rush

16. Blue Oyster Cult

17. That Handsome Devil

18. The Velvet Underground

19. Muse

20. Ween

In retrospect, I probably would have put the Doors on there before Ween (although Ween is awesome). I've got the Stones fairly low on this list, but that probably wouldn't change.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
I'm a sucker for 70s/80s pop rock bands. I had Heart, BOC, Journey, Kiss and Def Leppard plus They Might Be Giants (!)

Just missed on Pat Benatar and Van Halen.

I have very little music newer than 1992.

I love They Might Be Giants, but then again I have a weakness for groups that don't take themselves too seriously. That explains my liking of groups like TMBG, and people like Weird Al, Wally Pleasant and Rich Hardesty.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Let me also point out a sad irony for anybody who hasn't noticed: The top four spots (well-deserved) in the pantheon of rock and roll — an American invention — are all Brits!

Simply put, British bands absolutely trump American bands...or any band in general.

I hope Knight posts my list because I can't remember the order cept for the Beatles at number 1 and AC/DC at 2,all the rest of the bands can go at any order depending on my mood...

Times like these I regret smoking weed cuz I have a really s***ty memory but the bands I had in my list as far as I can remember were Pink Floyd,Red Hot Chili Peppers,Iron Maiden,Soundgarden,Alice In Chains,Radiohead,Megadeth,Black Sabbath,The Who,Pearl Jam,Metallica,Led Zeppelin,System Of A Down,U2,Tool,Rage Against the Machine,Smashing Pumpkins...

Bands that just missed the cut for me were Van Halen,Anthrax,Judas Priest,The Doors,Rolling Stones,Guns N' Roses,Pixies and Bjork.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
I was in my teens in the late 80s/early 90s,long after the Beatles heyday yet they are my favorite band.

You would think Pink Floyd,The Who,Led Zep,Beatles,etc. would be huge today considering that today's rock is the crappiest it's been since rock and roll music started.

The method I use to validate your point is our local "rock and alternative" station Q101. On days when they have requests, most are from that grudge/alternative phase of the mid 90's. People don't listen in to hear new music, it would seem. I remember someone saying a few years ago Rock and Roll died at Woodstock 99'. Maybe, atleast symbolically, it did.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)

There's good rock bands out there, you just have to look a little harder to find them.

Big shock, I was one of the four without the beatles on my list:

1. Bright Eyes

2. Jimmy Eat World

3. Alkaline Trio

4. The Killers

5. Manchester Orchestra 

6. Green Day

7. Death Cab for Cutie

8. Alice in Chains

9. Weezer

10. The Dillinger Escape Plan

11. Thrice

12. Dredg

13. Every Time I Die

14. Machine Head

15. Nirvana

16. Soundgarden

17. Thursday 

18. Angels & Airwaves

19. Muse

20. The Gaslight Anthem 

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)

1. Bright Eyes

2. Jimmy Eat World

3. Alkaline Trio

4. The Killers

5. Manchester Orchestra 

6. Green Day

7. Death Cab for Cutie

8. Alice in Chains

9. Weezer

11. Thrice

12. Dredg

13. Every Time I Die

14. Machine Head

15. Nirvana

16. Soundgarden

17. Thursday 

18. Angels & Airwaves

19. Muse

20. The Gaslight Anthem 

I've never heard of 12 of those bands.

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

1. Bright Eyes

2. Jimmy Eat World

3. Alkaline Trio

4. The Killers

5. Manchester Orchestra 

6. Green Day

7. Death Cab for Cutie

8. Alice in Chains

9. Weezer

11. Thrice

12. Dredg

13. Every Time I Die

14. Machine Head

15. Nirvana

16. Soundgarden

17. Thursday 

18. Angels & Airwaves

19. Muse

20. The Gaslight Anthem 

You and I both had Muse at #19, but I think that's where the similarities end :P

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
I've never heard of 12 of those bands.

I've never heard of 10 of 'em. I actually like Muse quite a bit. They had one song that my son played a lot that really knocked me out. Don't know the name of it.