Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
The best thing that would save the NFL would be a rookie cap.

Honestly, I see where that's coming from, but are there that many teams that draft well, sign a guy to a big, early draft contract, and then stay mediocre for years? The real guys who get hurt are the guys who draft busts, and is that really that different from spending big bucks to sign an FA bust?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Honestly, I see where that's coming from, but are there that many teams that draft well, sign a guy to a big, early draft contract, and then stay mediocre for years? The real guys who get hurt are the guys who draft busts, and is that really that different from spending big bucks to sign an FA bust?

Huh?

No player who hasn't played a pro-snap should be the highest paid player at his position. There's no argument, its the dumbest system in sports

Some guy on facebook claims it is a done deal and Kaplan said that the Bears will not be outpid for Peppers. I don't know why they would spend all of the money on the pass rusher when they are lacking at defensive back and safety.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
His best days are behind him...ick.

^.

But he's still a pretty damn good pass rusher, although I'm surprised he wants to play in a 4-3 system again. But the Bears have to overpay for FA's obviously because they don't have any early picks.

I think the Bears would be targeting some offensive lineman, but there just aren't that many good ones in FA this off-season also.

This is so unlike the Bears.

Let's just hope that they make the most of whatever they spend their money on. I'm really liking this Chester Taylor move if it's done. I'd like to see what he can do if Forte sucks again this year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 01:12 AM)
Rolle wants $8 mil a year.

Yea, Bears officially out of that race (they don't like his price) so look for them to go after Atogwe (who, IMO, fits more with their scheme anyway).

Peppers, Taylor (don't remember how well he catches passes as I think Martz will use him there ala Priest Holmes, not to mention backup Forte), Atogwe, Manumaleuna would make for one hell of an offseason already. (still need OL help too, maybe a WR though I think the Bears believe they are fine with their group as Lovie, Martz, etc.. have been hyping them up)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
Rolle to Miami or New York. Bears now have to overpay for him.

Miami aint signing Rolle, especially not for $8 million a year after resigning Bell for $5 million and then signing Wilson for 5.5 million last offseason..

Plus they are signing Dansby tomorrow and that's gonna take up a big chunk of change for them.. but its a major need being filled..

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Anyone see the article on yahoo.com about the "fake" Florida 40 time board? There were like 8 players listed under a 4.4 on their board including Hayden who ran a 4.57 at the combine.

Didn't see the article (although it sounds good, I'll be looking for it) but that's not a surprise. I love to hate on Florida at any chance, but they aren't the only ones doing that. Virginia Tech is another school notorious for shenanigans like that, for instance.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Some guy on facebook claims it is a done deal and Kaplan said that the Bears will not be outpid for Peppers. I don't know why they would spend all of the money on the pass rusher when they are lacking at defensive back and safety.

The Cover 2 defense is designed to get pressure on the QB with the front four. If those four are getting pressure on the QB, it will force the QB to either make a decision - throw the ball away (if he can escape the pocket), make a bad pass, or perhaps find an open man. In a Cover 2, if your front four are, at all times, outstanding, your secondary can be replacement level players and the defense will be just fine. You just need a linebacking crew and a good strong safety to be able to stop the run.

If you can run a Cover 2 defense and stop the run, you can do quite a few things as a team. Ask the Colts, Vikings, or even the Bears.

In regards to Lovie's system, Julius Peppers is much, much more valuable than Antrel Rolle is, even if his motor is only on half-speed.