2011 Video Game Catch-All Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Oh crap.. all this talk about The Show made me realize that im over a week late on my blockbuster return!

haha I remember when you were copying games and had them overdue for like a month

So e3 is next week. Any thoughts? All eyes are on Nintendo since they will be the first to delve into the next gen with a full unveiling of their Project Cafe. Sony's next portable will finally be unveiled as well. Those are the two big things, of course.

But we will also see a new Zelda title (as well as more on Skyward Sword) and more on Modern Warfare 3. Most all else is being held quite to the chest. Microsoft looks like they will focus on Kinect, which will make their conference boring. Sony will be doing a lot of apologizing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
So e3 is next week. Any thoughts? All eyes are on Nintendo since they will be the first to delve into the next gen with a full unveiling of their Project Cafe. Sony's next portable will finally be unveiled as well. Those are the two big things, of course.

But we will also see a new Zelda title (as well as more on Skyward Sword) and more on Modern Warfare 3. Most all else is being held quite to the chest. Microsoft looks like they will focus on Kinect, which will make their conference boring. Sony will be doing a lot of apologizing.

That new Nintendo console will probably be a bit more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Nothing more. Nintendo always tends to lag behind in terms of processing power. That's been the case the past two generations.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
That new Nintendo console will probably be a bit more powerful than the PS3 and 360. Nothing more. Nintendo always tends to lag behind in terms of processing power. That's been the case the past two generations.

The thing about the controllers having their own screens, and thus making the controllers like portable systems in themselves sounds cool, but probably very expensive for each controller.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)

Yeah, it is always true they lag on the processing power. I didnt understand why they chose that route with the Wii, but it didnt make a difference, they sold plenty of Wii's because of the motion controls. Im interested to see what they choose to do with this next system. If Sony and Microsoft hold true to their stance that they are going to ride out the PS3 and 360 until 2014, that means Nintendo will have 2 full years of being the new toy on the shelf, all by itself. It is crucial that Nintendo establishes the same demand that they did with the Wii in the first two years, and they also have to focus on bringing in the hardcore gamers with their upgraded hardware. The Marios and Zeldas will sell themselves but that will take them only so far, Nintendo will have to create their own Halo to sell this system IMO. Once Sony and Microsoft bring their next gen systems into the mix, Nintendo better have a strong hold on the market.

IMO Project Cafe will remain pretty under wraps at E3, with a few hints here and there. Nintendo is going to focus on the 3DS. My buddy bought a 3DS and he is really pissed about the launch catalog of games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)

Gcn way way more powerful than the ps2, about on par with the xbox. The cafe, Nintendo said it wants to take the core audience back so I expect it to be pretty powerful, but it may still lag because they're launching early.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
Gcn way way more powerful than the ps2, about on par with the xbox. The cafe, Nintendo said it wants to take the core audience back so I expect it to be pretty powerful, but it may still lag because they're launching early.

Which they'll never do.

The third party franchises are pretty well established for 360 and PS3, why learn new technology when those two will only be slightly less powerful and haven't even been fully tapped yet?

Nintendo will have to make it's own Uncharted or Halo to get the core audience back, and family friendly Nintendo won't do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
Nintendo will have to create their own Halo to sell this system IMO.

I think it's that simple. The games for the Wii are severely lacking. Most non-exclusive releases are on PS3 and 360, but not Wii. If they can somehow change that or at least have a top tier exclusive (as much as I think the FPS market is over saturated, they need a good FPS like Killzone or Halo) that could change things. Wii was a a gimmick that people got tired of.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 03:29 AM)
Which they'll never do.

The third party franchises are pretty well established for 360 and PS3, why learn new technology when those two will only be slightly less powerful and haven't even been fully tapped yet?

Well that's the whole point. The core system itself will be more in line with what the xbox and ps3 are, allowing for proper ports. They've even outsourced their online service to someone, rumored to be valve, but that would be too big of a home run to believe. If Nintendo pulled that off, they would destroy their competitors again.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
Well that's the whole point. The core system itself will be more in line with what the xbox and ps3 are, allowing for proper ports. They've even outsourced their online service to someone, rumored to be valve, but that would be too big of a home run to believe. If Nintendo pulled that off, they would destroy their competitors again.

Brand loyalty.

Who's jumping ship to a new Nintendo console when they can get the same games on their current consoles?

The initial Cafe adopters will be current Wii owners, who probably won't be jumping up and down for the FPSs like Halo or Killzone.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:50 AM)
So I finally found the time to play GTA IV recently and I beat it today. Now the game feels completely useless. Is Episodes from Liberty City worth getting?

No idea, but I started playing it a week ago and it just reminded me how much more I like San Andreas, so I'm playing that again.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
Brand loyalty.

Who's jumping ship to a new Nintendo console when they can get the same games on their current consoles?

The initial Cafe adopters will be current Wii owners, who probably won't be jumping up and down for the FPSs like Halo or Killzone.

Gamers will jump if the game meets expectations. Brand loyalty is as good as the next big hit.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
So I finally found the time to play GTA IV recently and I beat it today. Now the game feels completely useless. Is Episodes from Liberty City worth getting?

It's just more of the same with new characters. If you're not burned out yet and you enjoyed GTA IV, it's probably worth it.

On a similar note, anyone else get LA Noire? I'm probably half way through (4-5 cases into the homicide desk) and i'm already burned out. I've reached the proverbial Mexico in RDR. Typical Rockstar game for me.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
PS Store is back! Time to download my free games!

The Welcome Back offer isn't available yet. They have planned store updates on the 3rd and the 7th. I would guess it fits in with one of those, probably the 7th.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
It's just more of the same with new characters. If you're not burned out yet and you enjoyed GTA IV, it's probably worth it.

On a similar note, anyone else get LA Noire? I'm probably half way through (4-5 cases into the homicide desk) and i'm already burned out. I've reached the proverbial Mexico in RDR. Typical Rockstar game for me.

I just finished the Homicide desk. The Quarter Moons was damn exciting, but feels alot like RDR Mexico.

I need to get GTA IV eventually. And both Dragon Ages.

And I still have plenty of old games to finish (Motorstorm: Apocalypse, Mass Effect 2 now that I can get Arrival, LA Noire, Killzone 3, etc.). Looks like I'll have a fun summer.