2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen spent the morning at the hospital passing a kidney stone, but is in the dugout with the team for Sunday's game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Guillen passed a kidney stone in 2004 and immediately knew what was causing him pain as he took a shower early Sunday, a team spokesman said. He went to a Phoenix hospital with the team's trainer and passed the stone quickly, returning to Chase Field about two hours before the game's start.

Left-hander John Danks also spent time at the hospital, getting a CT scan Saturday night after being hit in the head by a line drive in Chicago's 6-2 win over Arizona. Everything checked out for Danks, who remained in the game after being struck and is expected to make his next start.

White Sox Triage unit.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Edwin Rodriguez done as a Marlins manager.

Writers are reporting Marlins want Ozzie long term, but will hire interim and go after him in the offseason. :jerry

Since Ozzie's under contract, it would have to be post-firing or via trade, no?

KW will have to make nice now, perhaps, for the rest of the season. This could get interesting, or more frustrating. If Ozzie wants out, but the org. wants more than the Marlins are willing to give up, he'll probably send Oney on a "scorched-earth" campaign.

Seriously though, Ozzie knows that his relationship with JR has bought him a lot of leeway, and that a loose-cannon like Loria would not tolerate Oney being Oney.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Who was that jeff Marquez pitching for the yanks? Is that our Jeff marquez from the swish trade?

Yes, the Yankees claimed him when the Sox sent him to the minors.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
That trade was awful. We did not get anything after we gave up gio, sweeney for swish.

You could use the term "awful" to describe every trade KW has made for the last three + years. Fortunately for him, we're in a second-rate division. But now that the 20 ton elephant that is the Twins are right back in this thing, it appears once again that will have to beat them when it counts. And I don't like those odds one bit.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 05:04 AM)
You could use the term "awful" to describe every trade KW has made for the last three + years. Fortunately for him, we're in a second-rate division. But now that the 20 ton elephant that is the Twins are right back in this thing, it appears once again that will have to beat them when it counts. And I don't like those odds one bit.

The Sox are going to have to beat the Twins one way or another. Regardless of whether the Twins are actually in the race - they apparently will be - the Sox have to make it a priority to beat those f***bags.

f***ing 0-4 this year, 5-13 last year...you think they might get the concept that this is THE team you have to beat. Yeah, no, of course not. ALWAYS CATCH EM WHEN THEY'RE PLAYING WELL (with a AAA lineup and a garbage pitching staff)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 05:04 AM)

The Sox are going to have to beat the Twins one way or another. Regardless of whether the Twins are actually in the race - they apparently will be - the Sox have to make it a priority to beat those f***bags.

f***ing 0-4 this year, 5-13 last year...you think they might get the concept that this is THE team you have to beat. Yeah, no, of course not. ALWAYS CATCH EM WHEN THEY'RE PLAYING WELL (with a AAA lineup and a garbage pitching staff)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Just thinking out loud but it's so odd that we're 3 games under .500 yet have a bunch of guys that can make a legit claim to be allstars.

I looked at the projected All-Stars and remembered why I hate fan voting... Derek Jeter is slugging .324 (Juan Pierre is slugging .300), Alexei Ramirez is better at basically every facet of the game, and he's probably going to be watching Jeter start the game

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)

I should clarify. I figured when the Twins were 16-33 that they were done. If we're playing the Twins in September and they're 12 games out, I don't think we'd have a problem beating them. There's no mental resolve involved in beating a team that's already out of it. But if we have to absolutely beat the Twins, that's what scares the s*** out of me. Because we've never done it save game #163. They're f***ing 1 game behind us in the loss column. That's mind-boggling.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 06:31 AM)
I looked at the projected All-Stars and remembered why I hate fan voting... Derek Jeter is slugging .324 (Juan Pierre is slugging .300), Alexei Ramirez is better at basically every facet of the game, and he's probably going to be watching Jeter start the game

Check out this piece by the great Jeff Passan when you get the chance - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ApKs...ar_snubs_061911

We very well could see Felix Hernadnez, Tex and Bruce left out. Which would be a travesty. Baseball really needs to do away with every team requiring one player and letting managers pick more than one of their own players.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
Just thinking out loud but it's so odd that we're 3 games under .500 yet have a bunch of guys that can make a legit claim to be allstars.

Konerko is virtually a lock. Although, with AGon, Teixera or however you spell it and Cabrera, it might be tough.

Humber has earned it also - though he most likely will get snubbed.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
Konerko is virtually a lock. Although, with AGon, Teixera or however you spell it and Cabrera, it might be tough.

Humber has earned it also - though he most likely will get snubbed.

A really good 1B is going to be left out in both leagues. The position is insanely deep this year. Adam Lind and Gaby Sanchez should both be there. But you can't have 5 1B on each roster. The only way Humber would sniff the all-star game is if he were on a team like the Padres, in which case you're required to take at least one scrub that has no business being there (not that Humber has been a scrub).

Humber ranks 8th in ERA and 5th in WHIP in the AL this year. He has surrendered the 5th fewest walks of any qualified starter in the AL, 6th lowest avg. against. If only his strikeout numbers were there with the league leaders he would be a lock for the ASG.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
Humber ranks 8th in ERA and 5th in WHIP in the AL this year. He has surrendered the 5th fewest walks of any qualified starter in the AL, 6th lowest avg. against. If only his strikeout numbers were there with the league leaders he would be a lock for the ASG.

SP in the AL is just too deep. And I don't think Humber has that league-wide recognition as of yet, even with the great numbers he's putting up that you've alluded to. To put it in perspective, which one of these pitchers would you boot in favor of Humber?

Felix

Verlander

Weaver

Haren

Pineda

Beckett

Lester

Ogando

Price

Sabathia

Shields

Gonzalez

Romero

Wilson

Buchholz

Those are starting pitchers I came up with right off the top of my head. Now obviously all 15 of these guys aren't going to make it regardless. Felix, Verlander, Weaver, Haren, Beckett, Lester, Price, Sabathia should all be locks. Not only based off of their performance this year, but their proven pedigrees. James Shields and Michael Pineda have been flat out better than Humber. I don't think anybody would question that. That leaves you with Gonzalez, Romero, Wilson, Ogando abd Buchholz. Gonzalez will be their simply because you have to take at least one guy from each team (not that he's not worthy). Wilson and Ogando, or at least one of them, will be there because Ron Washington is the manager. Romero is on his second consecutive really good year (he's even better better than last year) and pitches in that beast of a division. Then you're left with Buchholz, who's a 'name' and pitches for arguably the second most popular organization in baseball. There's just no way Humber would be able to overcome all that unless he threw a perfect game and forced the rest of the baseball world to take notice. I'm more than fairly certain that nobody outside of a White Sox fan has recognized the great year Humber has had to this point. He just hasn't been doing it long enough, nor is he viewed as a premium talent (like Pineda) and is not a 'brand' name.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
SP in the AL is just too deep. And I don't think Humber has that league-wide recognition as of yet. Even with the great numbers he's putting up that you've alluded to. To put it in perspective. Which one of these pitchers would you boot in favor of Humber?

Felix

Verlander

Weaver

Haren

Pineda

Beckett

Lester

Ogando

Price

Sabathia

Shields

Gonzalez

Romero

Wilson

Buchholz

Those are starting pitchers I came up with right off the top of my head. Now obviously all 15 of these guys aren't going to make it regardless. Now Felix, Verlander, Weaver, Haren, Beckett, Lester, Price, Sabathia should all be locks. Not only based off of their performance this year, but their proven pedigrees. James Shields and Michael Pineda have been flat out better than Humber. I don't think anybody would question that. That leaves you with Gonzalez, Romero, Wilson, Ogando abd Buchholz. Gonzalez will be their simply because you have to take at least one guy from each team (not that he's not worthy). Wilson and Ogando, or at least one of them, will be there because Ron Washington is the manager. Romero is on his second consecutive really good year (he's even better better than last year) and pitches in that beast of a division. Then you're left with Buchholz, who's a 'name' and pitches for arguably the second most popular organization in baseball. There's just no way Humber would be able to overcome all that unless he threw a perfect game or something. He just hasn't been doing it long enough, nor is he viewed as a premium talent (like Pineda) and is not a 'brand' name.

Right, I definitely agree with you. I was moreso just surprised by just how well he ranks in the AL from a pure numbers standpoints. It really is incredible what he has given us this year. The fact that he is legitimately a part of this All-Star conversation is awesome.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
SP in the AL is just too deep. And I don't think Humber has that league-wide recognition as of yet. Even with the great numbers he's putting up that you've alluded to. To put it in perspective. Which one of these pitchers would you boot in favor of Humber?

Felix

Verlander

Weaver

Haren

Pineda

Beckett

Lester

Ogando

Price

Sabathia

Shields

Gonzalez

Romero

Wilson

Buchholz

Those are starting pitchers I came up with right off the top of my head. Now obviously all 15 of these guys aren't going to make it regardless. Now Felix, Verlander, Weaver, Haren, Beckett, Lester, Price, Sabathia should all be locks. Not only based off of their performance this year, but their proven pedigrees. James Shields and Michael Pineda have been flat out better than Humber. I don't think anybody would question that. That leaves you with Gonzalez, Romero, Wilson, Ogando abd Buchholz. Gonzalez will be their simply because you have to take at least one guy from each team (not that he's not worthy). Wilson and Ogando, or at least one of them, will be there because Ron Washington is the manager. Romero is on his second consecutive really good year (he's even better better than last year) and pitches in that beast of a division. Then you're left with Buchholz, who's a 'name' and pitches for arguably the second most popular organization in baseball. There's just no way Humber would be able to overcome all that unless he threw a perfect game or something. He just hasn't been doing it long enough, nor is he viewed as a premium talent (like Pineda) and is not a 'brand' name.

Honestly, I'd rather have Humber pitch than Buchholz, Gio, and maybe Romero.

Every time Humber goes out there, I feel extremely confident in the Sox' ability to win that game. His peripherals may be a lot less impressive than his ERA and WHIP, but until he starts regressing, I'm going to remain confident in his abilities. The only flaw I see in him thus far is that he tires pretty easily. Once he hits the 90 pitch mark, his stuff starts deteriorating and he gets into trouble.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Honestly, I'd rather have Humber pitch than Buchholz, Gio, and maybe Romero.

Every time Humber goes out there, I feel extremely confident in the Sox' ability to win that game. His peripherals may be a lot less impressive than his ERA and WHIP, but until he starts regressing, I'm going to remain confident in his abilities. The only flaw I see in him thus far is that he tires pretty easily. Once he hits the 90 pitch mark, his stuff starts deteriorating and he gets into trouble.

Like I said, Gio is a lock. If not Gonzalez it'll be Cahill. Romero has been pretty damn good. I just couldn't see Ron Washington going with Humber over Romero if it came down to it. Buchholz would be there regardless because of the team he pitches for. I guess PK is the guy we have to blame. He was supposed to regress. lol. He's been as good as he was last year.

Hopefully Washington can look past players that are proven pedigrees, cause CC, Price, & Lester are not deserving All-Stars this season. Beckett, Weaver, Verlander , Shields, Pineda, & Ogando have all been better than Humber. Like you mentioned, Gonzalez is the only deserving Athletic, Wilson being a Ranger helps his cause as well. Then it would come down to Humber or Haren, Romero, Felix (who hasn't been Cy Felix this year). His odds are pretty slim it appears. Last year they selected 8 starters, then 3 more were added due to injury/ineligibility.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
Hopefully Washington can look past players that are proven pedigrees, cause CC, Price, & Lester are not deserving All-Stars this season. Beckett, Weaver, Verlander , Shields, Pineda, & Ogando have all been better than Humber. Like you mentioned, Gonzalez is the only deserving Athletic, Wilson being a Ranger helps his cause as well. Then it would come down to Humber or Haren, Romero, Felix (who hasn't been Cy Felix this year). His odds are pretty slim it appears. Last year they selected 8 starters, then 3 more were added due to injury/ineligibility.

Washington's probably too coked up to realize anything.