Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
GMAB man, the Cardinals have been thought have a bottom of the league system almost every year. They occasionally pull out a couple of pieces but then they're gone before they get to the big leagues, a-la the Mulder trade or the Holliday trade.

Except for now they have two of the top ten prospects in baseball, so hopefully the pan out for the Cardinals.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
GMAB man, the Cardinals have been thought have a bottom of the league system almost every year. They occasionally pull out a couple of pieces but then they're gone before they get to the big leagues, a-la the Mulder trade or the Holliday trade.

In the past yes, but this last year they've taken strides. Find me an article posted more recently than last season to criticize their system.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Rasmus isn't worth both of them, they would have throw in miller or martinez

Ya, that's absolutely not going to happen.

Whether you like it or not, Rasmus still has a LOT of value. Guys who put up .860 OPS at age 23 in CF don't grow on trees. Jackson would be a rental and Thornton is 35 and making good money. The 2 of them for Rasmus not only frees up a lot of money, but it also gives you a cornerstone to build around for a long time that you can pair with the big Cuban guy you have sitting in AAA.

The Sox would be dealing from an area of strength where they have a surplus (and valid replacements) to improve (potentially long-term) an area of weakness. Not many GM's in the league, if any, would hesitate moving Jackson/Thornton for Rasmus.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)

Whether you like it or not, Rasmus still has a LOT of value. Guys who put up .860 OPS at age 23 in CF don't grow on trees. Jackson would be a rental and Thornton is 35 and making good money. The 2 of them for Rasmus not only frees up a lot of money, but it also gives you a cornerstone to build around for a long time that you can pair with the big Cuban guy you have sitting in AAA.

The Sox would be dealing from an area of strength where they have a surplus (and valid replacements) to improve (potentially long-term) an area of weakness.

Yeah, Rasmus has so much value based on age? What has he done or proven to have so much worth? Why do many here have him in so high regard? And to be clear if we got him I wouldn't mind but even if Jackson is a rental for them you still have to play them being desperate

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)

The Sox would be dealing from an area of strength where they have a surplus (and valid replacements) to improve (potentially long-term) an area of weakness. Not many GM's in the league, if any, would hesitate moving Jackson/Thornton for Rasmus.

I'd agree with you except for around this time of year...and in this pitching market...were you to make it known these two were available, I think you could do better...there aren't many SP's on the market with sub-4 ERAs and not many southpaw relievers throwing 96 out there right now...

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Yeah, Rasmus has so much value based on age? What has he done or proven to have so much worth? Why do many here have him in so high regard? And to be clear if we got him I wouldn't mind but even if Jackson is a rental for them you still have to play them being desperate

Put up an .864 OPS while playing CF.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)

You obviously chose not to read the line about the .860 OPS as a full-time CF at age 23.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I'd agree with you except for around this time of year...and in this pitching market...were you to make it known these two were available, I think you could do better...there aren't many SP's on the market with sub-4 ERAs and not many southpaw relievers throwing 96 out there right now...

What team (realistically) could give us more for Jackson than Rasmus?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Rasmus isn't worth both of them, they would have throw in miller or martinez

EJ and Thornton have never been more overvalued than this thread, you will NOT be getting anything from STL but Rasmus.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
You obviously chose not to read the line about the .860 OPS as a full-time CF at age 23.

You have to wonder why a team would give up a guy like Rasmus if he was anything near a sure thing. Usually young hyped up guys who get traded wind up be dissappointments. See Young, Delmon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
You have to wonder why a team would give up a guy like Rasmus if he was anything near a sure thing. Usually young hyped up guys who get traded wind up be dissappointments. See Young, Delmon.

We already know that he didn't get along well with Tony LaRussa. There are supposedly some attitude issues with the talented youngster.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)

I'm not saying more for one of them...I am saying more for both of them...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)

Delmon Young has a .826 OPS last season and is still 25 years old.

I hope Kenny doesn't think we can win this and trade Viciedo for some crap. I would try to rebuild now. The sox gotta choose, and let mark know what's going down, why? Easy either he wants to resign and go through a rebuild or go somewhere else or in a rare case is get traded and sign back in the offseason( it was happend see Rickey Henderson in 93) my trading pieces are Jackson, mark buehrle, Quentin and maybe even thoronton, trade Pierre while he is hot too. Play morel and Viciedo even if we end up bad for the year youcan get a draft pick a la beckham

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)

I read it, he did that once! We want consistency, again if we get the dude in a nice package go for it

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
I read it, he did that once! We want consistency, again if we get the dude in a nice package go for it

He's been in the MLB for 382 games and is 24 years old. These things take time.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Then that would really be White Flag part II, because I don't see us making it without him.

I don't see how trading for two cheap, young major league players is a sign of us bowing out of the division race.