KW Dangling Dunn

SoxFan1

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
That would be excellent, but here's my question: would you unload him and his contract if someone claimed him off of waivers?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
In a heart beat.

If you're doing a massive sell-off at the deadline, yes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)

You'd now have that money that was allocated for him and you can use it to try and pick up Fielder or some other needs.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)

What if you're not doing a sell-off, and more looking at how you can compete next few years. Would you want to get out of that 42 million dollar obligation we have with him from '12-'14? My answer would be Hell Yes you let him go, as you would figure that the older he gets, the less productive he'll be.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
You'd now have that money was allocated for him and you can use it to try and pick up Fielder or some other needs.

I highly, highly doubt you'll see JR going after big name free agents for a while.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
What are the odds that we'd be in a situation that would prove him wrong? We'd have to move a ton of salary to be in that position.

JR wins the Powerball two times prior to the 2012 season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
I highly, highly doubt you'll see JR going after big name free agents for a while.

yeah, seriously the last four times he has gone outside of the organization for "big" free agents was Jaime Navarro, Albert Belle, Alex Rios (essentially), and Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
I'd be ok doing it. Probably would be willing to eat 10-25% of his contract to do it. Or depending on what you get back, taking some other sort of contract back that could be serviceable.

If the Sox could hit the undo on him and Rios that would be exceptional and would theoritically provide the Sox with a ton of payroll flexibility. Of course the downside is, I'm pretty sure next years payroll will not be anything close to our current year payroll so some of that savings will not be reinvested.

You'd have to eat a lot more of 25% of his contract considering he's batting .160 and hasn't shown much power.

If he has 3 year and around $42 million his deal after this season, the Sox would have to eat at least $20 million, roughly half, of his contract. Maybe they could work out some performance type of deal where if he regains his form, the Sox pay less......saying all that, I really don't see a team taking him on considering how historically bad he's been this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
What if you're not doing a sell-off, and more looking at how you can compete next few years. Would you want to get out of that 42 million dollar obligation we have with him from '12-'14? My answer would be Hell Yes you let him go, as you would figure that the older he gets, the less productive he'll be.

I'd much rather move Rios than Dunn. The way I see it, Konerko is going to be here for the duration of his deal. As long as he's here, you have to protect him with something. This is my thinking, which I think would be in line with the line of thinking of KW/JR, if that makes sense. I like Dunn's chances of being good again FAR more than Rios'.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
You'd have to eat a lot more of 25% of his contract considering he's batting .160 and hasn't shown much power.

If he has 3 year and around $42 million his deal after this season, the Sox would have to eat at least $20 million, roughly half, of his contract. Maybe they could work out some performance type of deal where if he regains his form, the Sox pay less......saying all that, I really don't see a team taking him on considering how historically bad he's been this season.

I wouldn't do that. I'd rather take my chances and hope he figures it out next year. If you are eating 20M and the team that gets Dunn is basically gettin him at 7M per year, well, quite frankly, I think you could potentially get something back.

But you might be right in that is how much money it would take.

Just when Dunn has reached fun bad status we trade him? Who else gives us so many laughs? I watch most every game and have started laughing out loud at his at bats. Its even more fun when he gets the occasional hit.

On another note, maybe I'm kicking a dead horse but we have had a hole in center field since we traded Rowand. How many years now 5?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
Why wouldn't he? The worst that happens is that no one wants him and nothing changes.

Yup, might as well trade to trade the big ox.

Can't blame Kenny for trying.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Just when Dunn has reached fun bad status we trade him? Who else gives us so many laughs? I watch most every game and have started laughing out loud at his at bats. Its even more fun when he gets the occasional hit.

On another note, maybe I'm kicking a dead horse but we have had a hole in center field since we traded Rowand. How many years now 5?

Don't u dare mention the name Rowand around here. I've done it before and gotten eaten alive.