FUN BAD ?!?!?

clyons

Even in a bad season, this has been one weird week: the team teases right before the deadline; Rios gets "benched" without any loss of playing time; an opposing runner scores from first on a single for the third time this year; the Guillen boys again display their astonishing media savvy; we hit the 13 run pool by the third inning.

In the immortal words of noted Assistant Greenskeeper Carl Spackler, "I have to laugh."

Edit: I tried to make this a poll but apparently screwed it up:

Choices were going to be: "Yes, this has become theater of the absurd" or "No, losing is never amusing." Weigh in if you feel like it.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
I enjoyed a very entertaining episode of Leverage once I saw the score in the 3rd inning.

I should have watched Modern Family reruns last night, but instead I suffered to the end with the Sox. Maybe they will turn it around tonight?

It's just that part of you that wants everything to get worse. You want to see Guillen fall apart, Williams make a few more ridiculous roster decisions, Dunn strikeout a few more times, Rios make a few more defensive miscues, etc., because you know they're not going anywhere. If they're destined to lose, why not make it a bit more interesting? I believe that's the appeal of fun-bad.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
I should have watched Modern Family reruns last night, but instead I suffered to the end with the Sox. Maybe they will turn it around tonight?

That is simply the curse of being an out of town Sox fan. It was 17-7 when I turned it on, and I watched the last couple of innings.

And, fun bad can't apply to a veteran team. If it's young guys at least you have hope for the future and can see potential. With this veteran team, it's just a waste of money & time.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

God, the Liriano no-hitter; I forgot about that.

I think that was probably the first red flag that all is not as it seems with our "All-In" Sox.

To the OP: I can't laugh at this, although I don't mind people who want to view it as comedy. If I want fun bad that's what the Cubs are for but seriously, at this point, they've at least totally sucked all year. There were no expectations.

We, on the other hand, were lead to believe that the Comedy Central would be a given with this lineup and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the cellar. Nothing like spending $127MM to suck.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
God, the Liriano no-hitter; I forgot about that.

I think that was probably the first red flag that all is not as it seems with our "All-In" Sox.

To the OP: I can't laugh at this, although I don't mind people who want to view it as comedy. If I want fun bad that's what the Cubs are for but seriously, at this point, they've at least totally sucked all year. There were no expectations.

We, on the other hand, were lead to believe that the Comedy Central would be a given with this lineup and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the cellar. Nothing like spending $127MM to suck.

The no hitter was the first low point, then they crept their way back up and hit rock bottom again last night. I just find it amazing that all of this happened immediately after the deadline. We were 3 games out just 5 days ago, ridiculous.

Fun-bad? I don't think so. More like Boring-bad. I hardly watch games any more. The White Sox are flat out boring as hell. To my way of thinking fun-bad is when there are players who are fun to watch even though the team is bad. Dunn falls into that category for me. I like to watch his at bats just to see if he does something besides strikeout.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
There is nothing fun about this season. It is all bad.

It would be "Fun Bad" if it wasn't a team that I so heavily have involved myself with emotionally half my life.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Fun-bad? I don't think so. More like Boring-bad. I hardly watch games any more. The White Sox are flat out boring as hell. To my way of thinking fun-bad is when there are players who are fun to watch even though the team is bad. Dunn falls into that category for me. I like to watch his at bats just to see if he does something besides strikeout.

This. For a payroll such as ours, it's amazing to me the number of guys on this roster you couldn't pay me to watch if I weren't a White Sox fan. Even the late 90's teams were more fun to watch.

2007 was fun bad. This is frustratingly depressing bad. It does not help the girlfriend is a fairweather Yankee fan and I've had to watch the games at a bar full of Yankees fans all week. At least tonight's game is on WGN and I can stay home to watch.

If the Yanks complete the sweep and then the Twinks sweep past us, then I'll be ready for fun bad. Too invested to be ready for fun bad right now.

You have to be able to make your own fun out of it.

For example, in Dunn's 2nd at bat on Monday against captain cheeseburger, he went down 0-1 in the count, and I started typing that he would strike out on 3 pitches in a race to post that before he struck out on 3 pitches. I only narrowly lost!

I second the boring-bad movement.

It's really sad to think back and realize this team was fun to watch and in contention for about 6 innings on April 1st. They scored 15 runs, but gave up 10, and we were all like "Huh... well we won but didn't need that 10 runs given up...Oh well" it's literally all been downhill since then.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
The no hitter was the first low point, then they crept their way back up and hit rock bottom again last night. I just find it amazing that all of this happened immediately after the deadline. We were 3 games out just 5 days ago, ridiculous.

For future reference, if we're with a similar team that is meddling around. 500 but still within range of 1st, I hope we have a general manager with some balls to do what's right. There was that post on Twitter before the deadline were an anonymous source believed Williams didn't foresee the team as a contender. He should have went his instinct instead of worrying about people screaming "White Flag!!" or not attending games after a sell off. Now look at the result -- we're worse off for not dealing Quentin/Thornton, basically look dead as a team, AND people are not attending games!

I agree the season is just bad and not enjoyable to watch at all. However, when Rios tanked that play last night to allow the triple, I got up and cheered with the Yankees fans near me, hoping for an inside the park home run just out of spite to Rios and Guillen. That WAS fun.