What bugs/creatures/whatever freak you out?

Steve9347

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)
my wife told me a horror story of one of the former managers at her restaurant getting one of those malicious parasites in her bloodstream from getting a cut while washing a dish. Within 3 hours the parasite had already taken a hold and was eating her skin from the inside out. 8 months after she came out of the hospital, my wife said her skin looked transparent on her arm up to her shoulder and you could see the muscle underneath.

The doctors said if it wouldnt have mattered even if she washed it immediately and applied some sort of alcohol based substance on the wound, it was just random chance that something was in the water.

So yea, that scares the s*** out of me too

A former co-worker got bit by a brown recluse spider. A f***ing spider bite.

2061_2.jpg

http://www.acponline.org/graphics/bioterro...own_spider2.jpg

He wound up in the hospital FOREVER. The spider bite f***ing kills s***.

http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/4...10729-42553.jpg (not co-worker, but similar.

Moral of the story? Shoot yourself in the head if you get bit by a recluse. His arm is still f***ed up.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
There's a photo out there of a woman who got bitten by them and didn't know it. Ugly stuff.

I first heard about the bot fly on the show Monsters Inside Me. They showed actual amateur footage of a young guy pulling two of those things out of himself. The one he pulled from his shin was enormous; it stretched out to like a foot long. I still get the chills thinking about that.

Luckily all of the stories I've read about them are in places like Belize. But the brown recluse spider is a real threat in the midwest, something I sure as hell hope to never encounter.

The wife turned the yard into flower heaven which in turn has made it insect hell.

Welcome our new friend who has moved in, the great black wasp. One of theses f***ers got into the house and wound up stinging me.

great-black-wasp-small.jpg

The other bug that can just go away are assassin bugs.

To me, creepiest bug ever title goes to the Tarantula Wasp. Bad enough it is a wasp big enough to win a fight with a tarantula, and worse that it can also give humans a painful sting, but that's not the kicker. When a female Tarantula Wasp has eggs, it attacks a tarantula, paralyzes it, and then lays its eggs inside the tarantula. Tarantula wakes up, goes about his life, and the baby wasps slowly eat their way out of the tarantula eventually killing it.

Yikes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
To me, creepiest bug ever title goes to the Tarantula Wasp. Bad enough it is a wasp big enough to win a fight with a tarantula, and worse that it can also give humans a painful sting, but that's not the kicker. When a female Tarantula Wasp has eggs, it attacks a tarantula, paralyzes it, and then lays its eggs inside the tarantula. Tarantula wakes up, goes about his life, and the baby wasps slowly eat their way out of the tarantula eventually killing it.

Yikes.

Wow, talk about a bad relationship.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)

Moral of the story? Shoot yourself in the head if you get bit by a recluse. His arm is still f***ed up.

Holy f***, I keep wishing that second photo is photoshopped.

Getting bit by a brown recluse scares the s*** out of me. My uncle got bit by one about 6 years ago. He still has a hole in his leg, although it's healed.

The black widow is another that scares me, but not as much. A friend of my dad was bitten by one, killed the spider and took it to show the doctor. The doctor just told him that he won't die, but he might wish he had. I guess the venom attacks the nervous system and just causes immense pain.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)

2061_2.jpg

http://www.acponline.org/graphics/bioterro...own_spider2.jpg

He wound up in the hospital FOREVER. The spider bite f***ing kills s***.

http://images.emedicinehealth.com/images/4...10729-42553.jpg (not co-worker, but similar.

Carbondale has a s*** ton of those things. Had a friend wake up with one of those crawling on her blanket one night, she freaked out just a bit...

I've also had a couple of friends get bitten by them and they don't have holes on their bodies or anything like that. If you know you've been bitten and get to the hospital fairly quickly, you'll be ok. That being said, if you don't know your bitten and wait around, you're in trouble, nasty stuff.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
You couldn't pay me enough money to go swimming in the Amazon. It sounds like it's just suicide no matter what you do.

The candiru up the weewee tale is way more myth than fact, but it makes for great gross out stories.

archaeid_eating_450w.jpg

Oh hi, I'm just an ASSASSIN SPIDER. I only a have F*CKING NECK and F*CKING JAWS that are just as long as my F*CKING NECK!

I only eat other spiders. Cool.

They may be small, but Assassin spiders are among the most dangerous spiders on the planet – if you’re another spider, that is. These tiny arachnids in the Archaeidae family are only about 2 mm (less than 1/8 inch) long, but their bizarre fangs and spider-hunting practices have earned them a reputation as the world’s most grotesque spiders. They hunt by stabbing their prey with venom-filled fangs that are attached to the ends of extremely elongated jaws. These specialized jaws are about ten times longer than the jaws of most other spiders their size. To support these long jaws and prevent them from dragging along the ground, Assassin spiders have also evolved elongated necks. The combination allows them to strike their prey without having to approach too closely.

The fossil record shows that Assassin spiders were once widely distributed across the planet, but today they are known only from Australia, South Africa, and Madagascar. Until recently, only about a dozen species were recognized. However, nine new species are about to be added to the list, almost doubling the known members of the family. For the past few years, Academy entomologist Charles Griswold and San Francisco State University graduate student Hannah Wood have been working to document the spiders of Madagascar as part of the Academy’s ongoing arthropod survey of the country. Since the survey was started in 2000, over 2 million arthropod specimens have been processed. Among them, Griswold and Wood noticed a number of tiny Archaeidae spiders that looked suspiciously like new species.

Wood conducted molecular and morphological studies and found that nine new species of Assassin spiders were included in the specimens from Madagascar. Surprisingly, the DNA data also revealed that the presence of elongated necks among Archaeidae spiders had evolved at least two separate times. A classic example of convergent evolution, her findings suggest that the need to strike out at prey from a distance encouraged the evolution of extended body parts on more than one occasion.