• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY CRAP!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...,0,126406.story

By Carlos Sadovi Tribune reporter

9:53 a.m. CDT, October 8, 2012

The man accused of killing a Bears fan in a Jacksonville, Fla. restaurant was seen by witnesses cutting William Pettry's throat before he "calmly walked" out to his car, police said this morning.

Matthew Hinson, 27, "placed the bloody knife in his pocket and walked out of the restaurant" early Sunday morning, the Jacksonville County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "Eyewitnesses gave detailed accounts of the incident. Each described how the suspect cut the victim and calmly walked out of the establishment."

Officers found Hinson in his car, still parked at the restaurant, and he later admitted to stabbing Pettry, 42, the office said. Police did not say why Hinson allegedly slashed Pettry.

Hinson has been charged with murder and is being held without bail.

Pettry had left on a flight from Milwaukee Friday to attend the Bears game in Jacksonville and was excited to be making the trip with his best friend, according to his cousin, Quincy Asbury Jr.

Pettry was an avid Bears fan who was too busy working at his construction and remodeling company and helping raise his three children to find time to go to games in Chicago, Asbury said.

"He was such a huge Bears fan. . .He never got to go to the Bears game, he never got to enjoy it," said Asbury, who can't understand how anyone would want to hurt him. "He was always the guy that made you laugh."

The attack occurred shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday at Fionn MacCools Irish Restaurant & Pub, an upscale restaurant about a block from the hotel where Pettry was staying -- the same hotel where the Bears team was also staying.

Asbury, a River Grove police officer, said he spoke with Pettry's best friend after the stabbing and said he still doesn't understand what happened.

Pettry and the friend were with a large group of Bears fans enjoying the evening, the friend told Asbury. At the end of the night, Pettry got up to go to the bathroom and promised to return with a round of drinks.

At some point Pettry stepped out to an outdoor patio, the friend told Asbury. The friend said a waitress came up to the table and said Pettry had been hurt.

"They didn't know what to tell him. They told him, 'Your friend isn't feeling well.' (The friend) went up to the front and he (Pettry) was on the floor and it was over," Asbury said.

"I'm still at a loss as to how he goes from the washroom to get another round to. . .he never made it back."

Police said in a press release that Pettry was involved in a "disturbance" with two other people shortly before 2 a.m. at the restaurant in Jacksonville Landing.

On her Facebook page, Pettry's wife Karen said she was shocked by the news and searching for answers.

"I'm so numb and I still can not believe it is true," wrote Karen Pettry. "Today my husband William Christopher Pettry (Most of you only know him by Chris) was taken from his family way too early."

"Some idiot has taken his life. Im so mad, just don't understand why, very lost right now," she wrote. "Please hug the ones you love because you never know if tomorrow you will have that chance."

chicagobreaking@tribune.com

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)

More details have come out, wow.

The throat-slashing murder of a Bears fan who went to Florida for Sunday’s game happened after an apparently jealous former military man saw Chris Pettry talking to his wife at an Irish bar, police said Monday.

Moments before he was killed inside a Jacksonville, Fla. bar early Sunday, Pettry, of Lake Villa, had been talking to Matthew Reid Hinson’s wife at the bar, Jacksonville sheriff’s investigators said late Monday morning.

“For some reason, he became jealous, enraged, whatever you want to call it, and approached our victim,” said Jacksonville Sheriff’s Lt. Rob Schoonover. “According to one of the eyewitnesses, he calmly and basically cold-blooded just cut the victim’s throat, and calmly walked out of the restaurant.”

Police said Hinson confessed to the crime and found a small pocket knife believed to be the murder weapon. “During a subsequent interview post Miranda, Hinson gives admissions to stabbing the victim but also alleged he does not remember his reasons for doing so,” according to a police report.

Hinson, 27, was in the Duval County jail Monday, suspected of killing William Christopher “Chris” Pettry, 42, who was in Jacksonville to see the Bears play, police said.

Police said the slaying had nothing to do with Pettry being a Bears fan or any kind of football rivalry.

“Independent eyewitnesses gave detailed accounts of the incident,” according to a statement posted on the sheriff’s office website earlier Monday. “Each described how the suspect cut the victim and calmly walked out of the establishment.”

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Rumors of up to 12K seats unsold for tonites monday night game

A Jets W would score me some cash in my confidence pool. The more I read about the game, I am now convinced they don't have a chance in hell.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
f***

Sean Jensen‏@seankjensen

#Bears rookie WR Alshon Jeffery could miss 4-6 weeks with a fracture in his right hand, according to league source.

It sucks, but at least Bennett should be back after the bye and it isn't like Jeffery was getting a ton of catches. I think we need to incorporate Forte back into the passing game a little too.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Tired of being perennial losers. I call it Cleveland Syndrome.

I think you are right.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Yes, I thought that was bulls***. You cheer a big hit. You don't cheer for the guy getting knocked out from the big hit. The audio clip from one of the KC players explaining his disgust over that is a good listen.

Yeah the KC offensive lineman was shaking he was so mad. He said today he realizes it wasn't 70,000 fans cheering like he initially stated, but still stands by what he said. A lot of fans called talk shows Monday and said they were pretty disgusted as people were high-fiving each other when Cassel got hurt. I'm sure a social scientist would have a lot to say about this issue.

My top 5 rankings

1 Houston 5-0

2 San Fran 4-1

3 Bears 4-1

4 Atlanta 5-0

5 Vikings 4-1

My preseason prediction of a 49ers vs Texans Super Bowl still looks pretty damn good.

The reason I have the 49ers & Bears above Atlanta, I just think they are better overall teams and more impressive victories.

1 Houston

2 Atlanta

3 San Francisco

4 Chicago

5 Baltimore

6 New England

I think I would leave 7-9 vacant, because I think there's that much of a dropoff after the top six.

I thought about putting the Ravens 5th but their victory against KC wasn't that good.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
I thought about putting the Ravens 5th but their victory against KC wasn't that good.

Even though they've been absolutely blown up by a few teams, that's still a very talented team outside of Matt Cassel (which was an incredibly unfortunate turn of events). It can be tough to move the ball against them at times.

I don't know what to think of the Vikings. I think Percy Harvin is the most explosive player in the game, AP is still pretty solid, Ponder has been a solid game manager, and the defense has been good, but their only really impressive win came against San Francisco. Sorry, I'm just not that excited about victories over the Jaguars, Lions, and Titans, and a loss to the Colts, even as grindy as they are, is still a loss to what is likely an 8-10 loss team.

I think they'll go 1-4 against the NFC North the rest of the way, which will keep them firmly out of the playoffs, and I don't think they can go 5-1 or even a 4-2 against the rest of their schedule. Anywhere between 7-9 and 9-7 seems about right for them.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)

The Ravens problem seems to be that they are convinced they are a high-octane passing team, which is limiting the touches of the top-5 RB on their team.

Even though they've been absolutely blown up by a few teams, that's still a very talented team outside of Matt Cassel (which was an incredibly unfortunate turn of events). It can be tough to move the ball against them at times.

I don't know what to think of the Vikings. I think Percy Harvin is the most explosive player in the game, AP is still pretty solid, Ponder has been a solid game manager, and the defense has been good, but their only really impressive win came against San Francisco. Sorry, I'm just not that excited about victories over the Jaguars, Lions, and Titans, and a loss to the Colts, even as grindy as they are, is still a loss to what is likely an 8-10 loss team.

I think they'll go 1-4 against the NFC North the rest of the way, which will keep them firmly out of the playoffs, and I don't think they can go 5-1 or even a 4-2 against the rest of their schedule. Anywhere between 7-9 and 9-7 seems about right for them.

I see Peterson having an MVP kind of year. I do think MN will fall short of the playoffs though