The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Showtime is doing their Franchise series about the Marlins this year. They had a 30 minute preview last night, and it's fantastic. Really shocked at how much the owner and team president allowed the cameras to film with regards to the Ozzie controversy. Highly recommended for everyone on this site.

As for Ozzie, he comes across very sincere and apologetic about the Castro comments. With that said, it sure sounds like they were very, very close to firing him.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Showtime is doing their Franchise series about the Marlins this year. They had a 30 minute preview last night, and it's fantastic. Really shocked at how much the owner and team president allowed the cameras to film with regards to the Ozzie controversy. Highly recommended for everyone on this site.

Pass. Been there, done that. I don't need to see any more of Ozzie's need to be famous and loved.

As for Ozzie, he comes across very sincere and apologetic about the Castro comments. With that said, it sure sounds like they were very, very close to firing him.

Any of the time devoted to those hotties from the bar and pool in CF?? That would make me watch it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

I doubt they were close to firing him. That's a lot of money to pay a manager from a month of baseball. Unfortunately all of these immigrants are adopting the current American culture of being easily offended. If they are not some tight assed Caucasian will be offended in their place.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
I doubt they were close to firing him. That's a lot of money to pay a manager from a month of baseball. Unfortunately all of these immigrants are adopting the current American culture of being easily offended. If they are not some tight assed Caucasian will be offended in their place.

That would have been for cause. They wouldn't have owed him a thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

Do tell what the cause is here. Answering a question honestly in an interview? It would be interesting to see where he breached the terms of his contract there.

Another controversy for Ozzie to deal with

Because his services were unnecessary during the first four games of the trip, Bell sprinted in from the bullpen Thursday having not pitched in a week.

But he said the lack of game activity had nothing to do with his sour performance. In fact, he sounded angry when he volunteered that a member of the team’s training staff questioned his work habits, saying he was doing too much, not too little.

“Apparently our trainer says I work too hard,” Bell said. “I’m busting my [butt] on the treadmill, the bike and working out. Maybe I need to start listening to him and stop working so hard. I do everything you should do, do everything I’ve been doing for the last five, six, seven years.”

Bell refused to elaborate further.Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/26/2770...l#storylink=cpy

Ricky Nolasco gave up a run on only five hits over seven innings, and that first-inning run was the result of a poor fielding play by right fielder Giancarlo Stanton, who dropped a fly ball. The scorer ruled it a triple, but Stanton disputed that decision, blaming himself for the mistake.

“That’s crap,” Stanton said. “It should be caught.”

The Marlins’ five starters on the road trip gave up only seven earned runs over 34 2/3 innings for an ERA of 1.82. And yet they didn’t have a single victory.

That’s because the Marlins’ lineup remained cold. The Marlins scored only six runs during the five games of the trip.

Their only scoring Thursday came on the first home run of the season by Gaby Sanchez and a double-play grounder in the fifth that gave the Marlins a 2-1 lead.

But it didn’t hold up. For the third time, Bell failed to make it stick.

“He’s going to be fine,” Nolasco said. “He’s going to figure it out. We need him. We need him bad. [Nobody] has lost any confidence in him at all. He’s just going through a little tough time right now.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/26/2770...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
Do tell what the cause is here. Answering a question honestly in an interview? It would be interesting to see where he breached the terms of his contract there.

Whether or not it is "cause" is irrelevant. What is relevant is what his contract says, in regards to what circumstances the team could fire him without paying him the full contract. Who knows what that clause may contain.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Whether or not it is "cause" is irrelevant. What is relevant is what his contract says, in regards to what circumstances the team could fire him without paying him the full contract. Who knows what that clause may contain.

All player contracts have specialized clauses dealing with "high standards of personal conduct". I would bet money without the protection of the players association, the clauses are much more broad and easily invoked for management type people.

Two run deficits, Guillen said, "feel like we're down 20."

"That's how it feels like right now," Guillen said. "And I want to get that feeling out of this area."

Asked if he might shake up the lineup, Guillen said he might -- but not because any one in particular is struggling.

"You cannot lose confidence in those guys," Guillen said. "As soon as you start losing confidence and being negative, bad things happen. I always say you can't win a pennant race in the beginning, but you could lose a pennant race in the beginning.

"We're not winning now. We've got to pick it up and play the game right, now. Believe me with the experience I have, I've been through it before. We have to keep fighting. If we had a bad club I would say it would be tough. But I know in my heart, my soul we have a good team.

"You can lose confidence early in the season, or grow up and play better. But you're not going to play worse than this. We're not going to be worse than we are right now."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 03:34 AM)

"That's how it feels like right now," Guillen said. "And I want to get that feeling out of this area."

Asked if he might shake up the lineup, Guillen said he might -- but not because any one in particular is struggling.

"You cannot lose confidence in those guys," Guillen said. "As soon as you start losing confidence and being negative, bad things happen. I always say you can't win a pennant race in the beginning, but you could lose a pennant race in the beginning.

"We're not winning now. We've got to pick it up and play the game right, now. Believe me with the experience I have, I've been through it before. We have to keep fighting. If we had a bad club I would say it would be tough. But I know in my heart, my soul we have a good team.

"You can lose confidence early in the season, or grow up and play better. But you're not going to play worse than this. We're not going to be worse than we are right now."

Maybe Ozzie should Appreciate the Game more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 02:34 AM)

this is LITERALLY an article from any one of the last few years with the sox. Verbatim.

Marlins have lost 7 of their last 8

“That was the first game we didn’t have a chance," said manager Ozzie Guillen, whose starting rotation before Sunday had posted a 2.27 ERA during their past seven starts.

“What am I going to say? Those guys know what we’re doing [at the plate].”

But with the top three hitters in his lineup all struggling — Emilio Bonifacio is 3 for his last 31, Jose Reyes 4 for 28, and Hanley Ramirez is now 1 for his last 30 — Guillen said it has been hard for the Marlins’ offense to get going.

“I’ve been saying hopefully for two weeks now [when it comes to this lineup],” a frustrated Ozzie Guillen said. “We have to get better. We’ve got to find a way. I’ve made a couple different lineups, but we still struggle.

“It’s hard to write [Omar] Infante and [Logan] Morrison in all nine spots.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/29/2774...l#storylink=cpy

Buehrle rocked, Marlins attempting to make a comeback from 7-0 down, now 7-5. 3 of the runs were unearned, so Mark's overall ERA is still decent, in the 3's.

There was just a big mix-up at the mound on a routine mile high infield pop-up and the ball ended up getting volleyballed around by the pitcher and 3B and fell to the ground.

Austin Kearns drilled the next pitch out. All four of his hits this year for XB's.

Going to the 8th, precarious 7-5 lead now for D-Backs. By the way, Matt Cain's waiting for them after a cross-country plane ride. Not fun.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Buehrle rocked, Marlins attempting to make a comeback from 7-0 down, now 7-5. 3 of the runs were unearned, so Mark's overall ERA is still decent, in the 3's.

There was just a big mix-up at the mound on a routine mile high infield pop-up and the ball ended up getting volleyballed around by the pitcher and 3B and fell to the ground.

Austin Kearns drilled the next pitch out. All four of his hits this year for XB's.

Going to the 8th, precarious 7-5 lead now for D-Backs. By the way, Matt Cain's waiting for them after a cross-country plane ride. Not fun.

Hate to bring up the fantasy stuff, but it looks like Mark got charged with all those runs today, hopefully they correct it.