2012 White Sox draft picks

southsider2k5

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
More likely, he bluffed and lost.

It's hard for the Sox to bend considering they didn't have any more money to offer under the pool limit. It was always a take it or leave it once everyone else signed.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
It's hard for the Sox to bend considering they didn't have any more money to offer under the pool limit. It was always a take it or leave it once everyone else signed.

Yeah, considering JR was the biggest push behind the draft changes, I really don't see them going over the bonus pool number.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 05:30 AM)
Yea, apparently Jaffe signed too.

Both were quality signings. Not sure what Jaffe will end up doing and there is a lot of development work needed, but he has a very good arm for an 11th round pick.

So looking over at Baseball America, the White Sox spent all of their bonus pool on the draft, down to the exact dollar. They have $295,755 left that they could spend over and above the 100,000 they can offer to any player without going into the penalty box. Or they could split that money amongst any of their remaining picks.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
Can MLB teams still offer to pay for a high school athletes future college expenses or is that banned in the new CBA?

The Sox sweetned their initial offer and guaranteed Ayala's eventual college education if he signed now.

That closed the deal.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
The Sox sweetned their initial offer and guaranteed Ayala's eventual college education if he signed now.

That closed the deal.

Like it - way to get creative and get it done.

I haven't seen the post-AJP catcher in our system to this point, or I'm a long way from sold on any particular guy at any rate - maybe this is the guy.

We gotta bring AJ back for two more years, no matter what.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
I haven't seen the post-AJP catcher in our system to this point, or I'm a long way from sold on any particular guy at any rate - maybe this is the guy.

It's not for a lack of trying. Between trading for Flowers and drafting Phegley, Barraza, Ayala and Kevan Smith fairly highly they've gone after a lot of catchers in the hopes of finding the catcher of the future. Flowers and Phegley haven't exactly panned out. Throw in semi/former prospect Mike Blanke and Miguel Gonzalez and you have what once was the deepest position in the farm. Now...it's a bunch of maybes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
It's not for a lack of trying. Between trading for Flowers and drafting Phegley, Barraza, Ayala and Kevan Smith fairly highly they've gone after a lot of catchers in the hopes of finding the catcher of the future. Flowers and Phegley haven't exactly panned out. Throw in semi/former prospect Mike Blanke and Miguel Gonzalez and you have what once was the deepest position in the farm. Now...it's a bunch of maybes.

That's pretty much my point. Not total garbage, and no shortage of candidates, but noone seems like he's close to a sure thing either.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)

That closed the deal.

The Sox and Cards both always offered to pay for his college education at the beginning to the best of my knowledge.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
Like it - way to get creative and get it done.

It's actually pretty typical for teams to pay for HS players college expenses up to a certain amount if baseball doesn't work out for them.

One of my colleague's son was picked in the 19th round this year, JUCO guy, not a great prospect, but the team offered to pay for his college expenses if he quis baseball

White Sox draft highlights...

All top 10 picks are signed, plus all picks through round 12. The White Sox draft allotment of $5,915,100 was spent down to the last dollar. Current the Tigers are the only other team that can say that. 9 of the 30 teams have spent over their allotment. The White Sox have signed 31 of their 41 picks.

Unsigned picks

13 (411). Derek Thompson, LHP, John A. Logan College, IL

15 (471). Jordan Guerrero, LHP, Moorspark Highschool, CA

29 (891). Jason Coats, LF, TCU, TX

33 (1011). Jon Savarise, LHP, Stevenson HS, IL

34 (1041). Ryan Castellanos, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL

35 (1071). Kyle Martin, RHP, Texas A&M, TX

36 (1101). Mitch Patishall, RHP, Pendleton Heights HS, IN

38 (1161). DeJohn Suber, SS, Morgan Park HS, IL

39 (1191). Mitch Glasser, 2B, Macalester College, MN

40 (1221). Sam Mason, RHP, Beverly Hills HS, CA

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
White Sox draft highlights...

All top 10 picks are signed, plus all picks through round 12. The White Sox draft allotment of $5,915,100 was spent down to the last dollar. Current the Tigers are the only other team that can say that. 9 of the 30 teams have spent over their allotment. The White Sox have signed 31 of their 41 picks.

Unsigned picks

13 (411). Derek Thompson, LHP, John A. Logan College, IL

15 (471). Jordan Guerrero, LHP, Moorspark Highschool, CA

29 (891). Jason Coats, LF, TCU, TX

33 (1011). Jon Savarise, LHP, Stevenson HS, IL

34 (1041). Ryan Castellanos, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL

35 (1071). Kyle Martin, RHP, Texas A&M, TX

36 (1101). Mitch Patishall, RHP, Pendleton Heights HS, IN

38 (1161). DeJohn Suber, SS, Morgan Park HS, IL

39 (1191). Mitch Glasser, 2B, Macalester College, MN

40 (1221). Sam Mason, RHP, Beverly Hills HS, CA

I really like the Sox draft this year. The new rules helped them, I like the choices they made, the extra supplemental pick is big, and they signed their only major over-slot (Ayala). Signed 26 of their top 28, just missing 15 and 17. Maybe one of those two signs last-minute. They guys from 29 out really don't mean much to me.

My impression is that guaranteeing college education is just about par for the course, almost regardless of round. Either the team or MLB needs to not f*** these kids' future by taking the leap to the pro's.

Excited by Ayala. Great pickup.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
My impression is that guaranteeing college education is just about par for the course, almost regardless of round. Either the team or MLB needs to not f*** these kids' future by taking the leap to the pro's.

Excited by Ayala. Great pickup.

I'd be shocked if it was par for the course in the lower rounds. I mean, after round 20, these guys are all getting flat $1,000 bonuses or similar. A college education could cost 100 times that. At that point, that's not a benny anymore, it IS the bonus.

Very surprised and impressed by the Sox signings this year. They've been able to agree to terms with a number of players we wouldn't have in the past. I guess this new bonus/slot system really did help us out.