Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

That's at the top of what I'd want to see, but liveable. Certainly could have been worse, in terms of who the Sox got and for what money. If he can be close to his 2012 performance for a year or two, it is a bargain. And his ability to play 2B does leave some flexibility for the Sox to do trades or other moves if opportunities come up.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
i know Bill James' numbers are not the end all be all, however where did the talk come from that Keppinger was a liability on defense? I am not doubting or agreeing just wondering

You should always be somewhat skeptical of defensive metrics, though for skill IF positions they are not too bad. The real problem is the sample size - 50 games isn't enough. A full season is shaky even. So I wouldn't put a ton of stock into it.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
i know Bill James' numbers are not the end all be all, however where did the talk come from that Keppinger was a liability on defense? I am not doubting or agreeing just wondering

If you use advanced fielding metrics as one should, with as large a sample as possible, Keppinger has negative ratings. Rogers used them incorrectly, picking a small 50-game sample which is unreliable.

3/$12 works for me.

Even if it's a complete waste, that isn't exactly an albatross. I feel like risk of failure is similar or better compared to Youk and we don't have much invested if it does fail. Good low risk deal and Keppinger gets more than he ever would have imagined.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
The good news is that if the Sox non-tender Beckham in the next few seasons, Keppinger can slide over to 2b.

I agree with the other posts saying Sox should sign a lefthanded hitting 3B to platoon. Mark Teahen is available.

Teahen signed with the Dbacks.

Pretty good deal for the Sox. Gives them flexibility around the infield.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
The good news is that if the Sox non-tender Beckham in the next few seasons, Keppinger can slide over to 2b.

I agree with the other posts saying Sox should sign a lefthanded hitting 3B to platoon. Mark Teahen is available.

Teahen already signed in AZ.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
3/$12 works for me.

Even if it's a complete waste, that isn't exactly an albatross. I feel like risk of failure is similar or better compared to Youk and we don't have much invested if it does fail. Good low risk deal and Keppinger gets more than he ever would have imagined.

I think we need more players like him...he's a smart, scrappy player.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

Tremendous deal given the current market for 3B. Obviously no one wants to go with 3 years with Keppinger, but it's really not a big deal at $4/million per. Worst case scenario, the guy is an overpriced utility player in a year or two.

I do love that he's a high contact, low strikeout hitter. He can either bat 2nd or lower in the lineup to break up some of the low contact, high strikeout guys.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
BREAKING: @scottmerkin

Sox still have interest in Hannahan despite confirmed Keppinger deal

That would be an interesting platoon, and may open up a possible Beckham trade to acquire a lefty bat if they don't get AJ back.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
He's a nice little player...I like that Hahn can see that. This is a good sign for Hahn's first real move.

Would have preferred 2 years, but oh well.

Agree 100% and it shows that Hahn is serious about winning this year and won't be p****-footing major needs like Kenny occasionally did.