Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

Got to agree. IMO, only a fool would pay 140M for a guy that's never pitched in the mlb. Its a risk anyway but to offer up 140M is beyond crazy, its just plain stupid.

If this happens then we already have our starting pitching/depth in place because this would surely dive up the price on Santana, Garza and Jiminez to the point we would have no interest at all. Oh well, were rebuilding anyway.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
I agree. Get the next one.

I think it's obvious to everyone on the board that the Axelrod signing was an indication that the Sox weren't getting Tanaka. Move on to the second best pitcher on the market.

Wow, you think really, really highly of Axelrod.

I'm not gonna put a whole bunch of stock into that tweet. Had it said "industry source with direct knowledge of negotiations" I'd listen. But this just sounds like some guy in baseball, saying what he's hearing. And if I was a team in negotiations, I may try to scare others out as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm not gonna put a whole bunch of stock into that tweet. Had it said "industry source with direct knowledge of negotiations" I'd listen. But this just sounds like some guy in baseball, saying what he's hearing. And if I was a team in negotiations, I may try to scare others out as well.

How often do those numbers end up being too high? We don't see that very often these days.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
How often do those numbers end up being too high? We don't see that very often these days.

Well, if it was Gammons I'd be less skeptical. But the small amount of teams in this, the posting rate, I don't know, just seems different than normal FA signing chases.

I could see any meeting past the initial one being for the Sox benefit as much as Tanaka's, they probably want to ensure, or at least as much as they can, that they have a legitimate shot and not just being used to get the most out of an LA or east coast team. JR is getting up there, even when you're rich travel can be a hassle. I imagine if the deal breaker is Tanaka meeting face-to-face with JR they'll make that magic happen!!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Just a hypothetical but, if it were 120 million over 7 years or 17 mil and change per year. That would be below the 20 million annual threshold that Rock talked about. Also, prior to '08 the Sox offered Torii Hunter 5yr/80 mil or 16 AAV and that was 6 years ago.

I am always going to be more comfortable offering a hitter a big and long contract versus a pitcher. Secondly this guy has never thrown a pitch in MLB, and the long term viability of pitchers coming from Japan hasn't been very encouraging. Let me put it this way. If the Red Sox had signed Dice-k to a 7 year deal when they brought him over, they would just now be getting out of it. Dice_K was thought to be as sure of a bet as has ever come over here. He put up ONE year of an under 4 era. Seeing the numbers about Tanaka's pitch totals over the years on top of the history of NPB pitchers here just scares me.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
If Coop thinks it's worth bidding big money for this guy, then I trust his judgment, and I doubt that Hahn/Reinsdorf are going to throw that kind of money at him without Coop's blessing.

The Sox bring in all kinds of guys without Cooper's blessings. I recall when they brought in Putz or Crain or one of those relievers a few years back, they asked Cooper specifically what he saw in him, and, in more words, said "I like his arm. I hadn't seen him before they brought him back, but now that I've watched the tape, there are a few things I think I can work with."

The Sox bring in all kinds of guys without Cooper's blessings. I recall when they brought in Putz or Crain or one of those relievers a few years back, they asked Cooper specifically what he saw in him, and, in more words, said "I like his arm. I hadn't seen him before they brought him back, but now that I've watched the tape, there are a few things I think I can work with."

Those are relievers, and not even closers at that. I'd be shocked if Coop hasn't been asked for input on whether or not to give a starting pitcher $100M+.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 1h

Here's the thing about @Dodgers and Masahiro Tanaka. They've gotten every player they wanted in Mark Walter era. Always bet the streak.

What's Kershaw's contract status? If he doesn't have a team friendly extension they are going to have to pony up major for him. In theory I agree with Rogers (gross to type that), but they may have to have another mega/record breaking deal with Kershaw soon if that's not already sewed up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Those are relievers, and not even closers at that. I'd be shocked if Coop hasn't been asked for input on whether or not to give a starting pitcher $100M+.

I would guess and hope that they also consult Coop for high draft picks like Sale, Johnson, Beck, Danish etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
What's Kershaw's contract status? If he doesn't have a team friendly extension they are going to have to pony up major for him. In theory I agree with Rogers (gross to type that), but they may have to have another mega/record breaking deal with Kershaw soon if that's not already sewed up.

A team can only do so many mega deals, and Kershaw is worth 1000 times more to them than Tanaka.