2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Franchises and sequels have always dominated the summer blockbuster market. At least over the last 30 years.

5 of the top 10 highest grossing movies in the 80's were either sequels or movies part of a franchise.

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

Temple of Doom

Didn't they say 18 of the top 20 this year were? That is going from 50% to 90%.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Franchises and sequels have always dominated the summer blockbuster market. At least over the last 30 years.

5 of the top 10 highest grossing movies in the 80's were either sequels or movies part of a franchise.

Return of the Jedi

Empire Strikes Back

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

Temple of Doom

From AMC, bolded are either franchise, sequel or comic book. looks like the 90's are the oddball of the bunch.

1980's

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Batman (1989)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Ghostbusters (1984)

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

Back to the Future (1985)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Tootsie (1982)

90's

Titanic (1997)

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Forrest Gump (1994) (tie)

The Lion King (1994) (tie)

Independence Day (1996)

The Sixth Sense (1999)

Home Alone (1990)

Men in Black (1997)

Toy Story 2 (1999)

Twister (1996)

00's

The Dark Knight (2008)

Shrek 2 (2004)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Spider-Man (2002)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

The Passion of the Christ (2004)

10's

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Iron Man 3 (2013)

The Hunger Games (2012)

Frozen (2013)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011)

Despicable Me 2 (2013)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Iron Man 2 (2010)

Edited by StrangeSox

I didn't know if I should include movies that were first in the franchise. If you include those the 80's and 10's are the same amount.

Lion King is part of a franchise. Others just didn't do as well.

11 movies over the past 3 and half decades not part of franchise or sequel. That will also drop because Avatar, Independence Day and Frozen are getting sequels.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Alice in Wonderland is getting a sequel too.

Technically it was a sequel, really. It was Alice returning to Underland

And it was awful.

Tim Burton needs to go back to original content like "Big Eyes".

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
I think it's just the cycle. In the late 80s and 90s you couldn't escape Seagal/Arnie/Sly/Van Damme. Those guys dominated the theaters and THEY were the ones crowding out the other movies.

The other movies are there, the Mission Impossibles, Fast and Furious, expendables, etc. people just aren't that into them anymore.

I caught The Escape Plan the other night and couldn't get through it. You can keep that crap

On the other hand, with Fast and the Furious, at least you're seeing a diverse/representative cast...even if it is for marketing purposes.

And the NEXT movie will be hugely popular as long as they continue to be entertaining. Adding a legit bad guy in Statham compared to a generic one will be enough.

As for Mission Impossible, that and the Bourne movies as well as Dark Knight pushed Bond into darker territory, and made him a more interesting character. As you can see from all the articles about the upcoming SPECTRE debacle, the attempt to return the character to more of a tongue-in-cheek Connery/Roger Moore sense of humor isn't working very well. That's the danger. That if you copy other styles too much, you lose what made the character great and so enduring in the first place.

I was reading another leaked document about Aaron Sorkin and just found it mind-blowing that he couldn't think of a single Asian-American (Asian-Canadian) and that was the main argument behind not making the Michael Lewis work FLASH BOYS into a motion picture.

Asian actors can only be in kung-fun/karate/action movies!!!

And we can't find ANY actors in 2014 who MIGHT actually be confused with Egyptian/Israelite/Middle Eastern characters for EXODUS???

A sad state of affairs.

i just got back from a double feature at the movies with my family. i owe them that,

i normally goes to the the movie once a week, but i been slammed at work since

early Nov. they wanted to watch Mockingjay, but i read the books and well i will

it at that.

i saw Exodus, wow a whole new perceptive on the Ten Commandments. i still

don't know. i am still stun from the movie. i don't know if i like it or not.

saw the sneak preview of the Hobbit. the theater was packed. they had 5 screens

for this. it was much better than all of Hobbits. They really embellish it and took

a lot of liberties from the books. but it was well worth it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)
Does Sony negotiate with terrorists? I've never thought of companies having such policies.

It's a unique situation. It started as the hackers leaking emails and movies, now it has become 9/11 type threats. I am not really sure what is gonna happen

I love the term hackers because it's so broad. This group or whatever has the ability to bypass Microsoft security to get into an exchange server. And because of that, I ammto believe they can also conduct a large terrorist attack in the Us? Help me connect the dots there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
I love the term hackers because it's so broad. This group or whatever has the ability to bypass Microsoft security to get into an exchange server. And because of that, I ammto believe they can also conduct a large terrorist attack in the Us? Help me connect the dots there.

I have the same problems.

I also still can't comprehend the North Korea culture and mind set. I'm going to risk my life and see it next month.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)

They believe that the "hackers" are North Koreans that are mad about The Interview. DPRK is crazy. Dots connected.

You have to believe there is some sort of credibility to that rumor that NK is involved if Sony is allowing the cancellation of all of these premiers.

In fairness to Sony, they basically had to. The top 4 movie chains were refusing to show it.

Still, f*** Hollywood. This is a really bad precedent set here. Agree with Rob Lowe:

Rob Lowe ‏@RobLowe 4m4 minutes ago

Saw @Sethrogen at JFK. Both of us have never seen or heard of anything like this. Hollywood has done Neville Chamberlain proud today.

edit:

I also agree with Newt Gingrich - Sony should release the movie for free on the internet.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
They believe that the "hackers" are North Koreans that are mad about The Interview. DPRK is crazy. Dots connected.

You have to believe there is some sort of credibility to that rumor that NK is involved if Sony is allowing the cancellation of all of these premiers.

So a comedic film would cause them to all of a sudden bomb movie theaters in the US? THATS what puts them over the edge? I dont buy it. Hackers that can crack a horribly flawed security system and then download from an outdated exchange server doesnt scare me.