2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)
Cutler/Rivers/Ryan/Stafford/Romo, I feel like those are all guys that put you in NFL purgatory. They aren't worth the money you are forced to pay them, but the even lesser options scare the s*** out of you.

That being said, Eli Manning & Joe Flacco have won 3 of the last 7 Super Bowls, so you can win one with those types of QBs, but everything else has to go your way.

Romo and Rivers don't belong on that list.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I don't think so either, though a few years ago Rivers looked dead.

With McCoy he has been very good though and was for most of his tenure in San Diego. In regards to Romo, I've always felt he was good and largely impacted by stupid play calling and awful defenses. The guy I've long felt to be overrated is Manning but he does have the two 2 SB's. He is a streaky QB who when he goes on a run, he's very elite but he also has significant moments where he is the exact opposite. I actually think him and Jay are kind of similar players with the exception that Jay hasn't gotten hot at the right time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Romo and Rivers don't belong on that list.

Rivers can be so up & down from one game to the next, I just have a hard time trusting him consistently.

I actually think Romo does get a bad rap, but he just always seems good for those one or two bad plays.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
With McCoy he has been very good though and was for most of his tenure in San Diego. In regards to Romo, I've always felt he was good and largely impacted by stupid play calling and awful defenses. The guy I've long felt to be overrated is Manning but he does have the two 2 SB's. He is a streaky QB who when he goes on a run, he's very elite but he also has significant moments where he is the exact opposite. I actually think him and Jay are kind of similar players with the exception that Jay hasn't gotten hot at the right time.

If you look at Eli's career numbers, they are very unimpressive.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 09:57 PM)

It's hard to tell with Manning. He is certainly streaky. He has also played with pretty bad talent often, and serious offensive line deficiencies recently.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:16 AM)
QB's I'd rather have at this point for sure:

Rodgers

Rivers

Manning

Romo

Brady

Brees

Luck

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Wilson

Stafford

Kaep

Tannehill

Maybe:

Foles

Palmer (probably damaged goods now though)

Smith

THEN Cutler. So at best, middle of the pack. Which is fine. That's great. He's better than 99% of people out there at playing QB. But for what he's paid, for what the Bears have done the last 6 seasons to make it work, the fact is it really hasn't. He's very average on an offense stacked with weapons. As SS pointed out, he's regressed this year. He's NEVER gotten over his terrible foot work, his propensity to throw awful passes and turn the ball over. If anything his increase last year is due to having some weapons, but it's not like he's playing the game any differently.

And here's the bigger point: Whether he's 20th best or 10th best, it really doesn't matter. He's not on the top tier, which means the Bears aren't winning any time soon. Throughout the history of the game teams have won SB's with great QB's or average QB's with great defenses. We have neither. And by the time you fix the defense (2-3 seasons, assuming the next coach doesn't radically change the system), Cutler's that much older, Forte is that much older, Marshall has probably killed someone and is out of the league, etc.

The mistake was not drafting or signing a young QB the last 3 seasons. A potential successor should have been on the roster at some point because no one in their right mind was 100% sold on Cutler being a franchise, top level QB. It was always "but if he ____, then ____."

And guess what, now we're back to excuse No. 362: "but if he gets a good coach who isn't in over his head, then he can be successful."

If I were to look at that list, below are the only players I would take over Jay, with no questions asked.

Rodgers

Rivers

Manning

Romo

Brady

Brees

Luck

Wilson

The next are players I would take over Jay, but not necessarily because they will be better then Jay. I just think at this point, they are

Kaep

Tannheill

Guy I can't decide on:

Big Ben (mainly cause of how unorthodox he is, but in reality his long-term record speaks for itself)

Guys that are in the same class or worse

Stafford

E. Manning

Ryan

Smith

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:11 AM)
First 26 games as the Bears Head Coach:

Ditka. 12-14

Lovie. 12-14

Trestman. 12-14

Most new coaches come in because the previous coach was fired for having awful teams and it takes some time to adjust, teach their system, push their culture, etc.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Ditka: 13-19 (crap)

Ditka's first season was crap, second was okay, then the Bears were very good.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Lovie: 11-21 (crap)

Lovie's first season was crap, then the Bears were very good.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Trestman: 18-14 (good)

Trestment's first season was okay, and second has been crap.

They may all have been 12-14 in the first 26 games, but Trestman is the only one with a team going downhill rather than uphill.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
That Raiders sack celebration was the most Raiders thing ever.

They're lucky the coaching staff was quick enough to call that timeout. That would have been a free play that would have resulted in a big gain.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
Someone had to lose to Oakland eventually...I just didn't expect it to be the Chiefs.

Oh I definitely did. Maybe it's because I'm a pessimistic Chiefs fan full of senseless let downs. I knew this was completely a trap game. If I bet on games I definitely would've taken Oakland to cover the spread no doubt about it. Terrible loss.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
They're lucky the coaching staff was quick enough to call that timeout. That would have been a free play that would have resulted in a big gain.

I've always wondered why we don't see more offenses rush to the line after a sack and the defense is celebrating.

For all of you Bears fan that wanted someone like Andy Reid earlier in the year, I hope this makes you realize that the grass is not always greener. He's such a horrendous game manager. He refused to let Alex Smith throw the ball until midway through the 3rd quarter and guess what happened? 2 straight scoring drives. He also didn't even let his best player touch the ball on their last drives so that was obviously a smart decision. It's so frustrating wondering how this team could play if they had someone competent calling plays for them.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Most new coaches come in because the previous coach was fired for having awful teams and it takes some time to adjust, teach their system, push their culture, etc.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Ditka: 13-19 (crap)

Ditka's first season was crap, second was okay, then the Bears were very good.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Lovie: 11-21 (crap)

Lovie's first season was crap, then the Bears were very good.

Bears 2 seasons prior to Trestman: 18-14 (good)

Trestment's first season was okay, and second has been crap.

They may all have been 12-14 in the first 26 games, but Trestman is the only one with a team going downhill rather than uphill.

You're right. I just thought it was interesting they all started out with the same record after 26 games.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
For all of you Bears fan that wanted someone like Andy Reid earlier in the year, I hope this makes you realize that the grass is not always greener. He's such a horrendous game manager. He refused to let Alex Smith throw the ball until midway through the 3rd quarter and guess what happened? 2 straight scoring drives. He also didn't even let his best player touch the ball on their last drives so that was obviously a smart decision. It's so frustrating wondering how this team could play if they had someone competent calling plays for them.

Andy Reid is so infuriating at times.

As a Charles owner who watches a lot of Chiefs games, some of the calls just make no sense. He'll draw up some great plays like that 4th and inches call against the Bills two weeks ago, then he'll have games like last night and the SF game where he just refuses to let Charles touch the ball down the stretch.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Thanks for this.

Isn't .18 seconds a lot in the NFL though. I know when talking about 40 times there's a big difference between a 4.40 and a 4.58.

Real surprised he was pressured more last year. Though he is throwing a lot more quick passes which could make that % drop quite a bit. When trying to do anything other than those quick passes it seems like there's always pressure.

I say that the difference in time isn't super meaningful because so many different things influence that time. Not just protection, but play calling, decision-making, etc

http://sportsmockery.com/2014/11/report-ja...nearly-benched/

Interesting Per John Clayton cutler almost benched. Again, if this is the case, it really makes you wonder who okayed the Cutler deal. Did Emery basically tell Trestman this is what we are going to do and you will like it? If any coach would accept that, it would probably be Trestman who is very passive as a whole.