2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
So Seattle is going to be the 1 seed in the NFC, good luck everyone else. I know they have lost in Seattle this year but I don't see that happening with how they're playing at the moment.

GoSox05 said it last week, but that Bills loss is gonna really come back to haunt the Packers. Or the loss in NOLA to a Saints team that lost their next 5 in a row at home.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
So Seattle is going to be the 1 seed in the NFC, good luck everyone else. I know they have lost in Seattle this year but I don't see that happening with how they're playing at the moment.

Why wouldn't Dallas be ahead of Seattle? They both are 11-4, and Dallas beat Seattle this season. Arizona would hold the tiebreaker over Dallas though.

Just guessing, but isn't Arizona likely to be the #1 seed, and then if Detroit wins next week, they are the #2 seed. If those 2 teams don't win, then I have no idea what will happen, but I *think* the best my Cowboys can do is the #2 seed, because whoever wins the Detroit/Packers game would get seeded better than Dallas.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
Why wouldn't Dallas be ahead of Seattle? They both are 11-4, and Dallas beat Seattle this season. Arizona would hold the tiebreaker over Dallas though.

Just guessing, but isn't Arizona likely to be the #1 seed, and then if Detroit wins next week, they are the #2 seed. If those 2 teams don't win, then I have no idea what will happen, but I *think* the best my Cowboys can do is the #2 seed, because whoever wins the Detroit/Packers game would get seeded better than Dallas.

If Seattle wins next Sunday , they win the NFC West, so Arizona is #5 or #6 as a wild card team and doesn't matter in the tiebreaking.

Dallas would be ahead of Seattle if only those two teams tied. However , barring a tie in Lambeau, either GB or Detroit will also be 12-4. Then it's a 3 way tie and you go to conference record, which Seattle wins.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)

.....no

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
The result was the exact same. The offense as a whole is terrible, it doesnt matter who is at QB.

Given the factor of 30 difference in the salary cap hit of the 2 potential QBs, one would still call that an indictment of one particular player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Given the factor of 30 difference in the salary cap hit of the 2 potential QBs, one would still call that an indictment of one particular player.

Yes, in this particular crappy offense the difference in QB isn't a big deal. Bad QB game managers do fine under Trestman although they still lose games (like losses by the great Josh McCown to powerhouse teams St. Louis and Minnesota last year).

In a standard offense the difference between Cutler and players like McCown or Clausen would be huge (look how McCown is doing in Tampa).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)

Absolutely, but more importantly to me the coaching staff has proven this season they are clueless, especially on defense. If we got yesterday's performance out of the D all year we wouldnt be in the shape we are right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Absolutely, but more importantly to me the coaching staff has proven this season they are clueless, especially on defense. If we got yesterday's performance out of the D all year we wouldnt be in the shape we are right now.

You mean its good to not start your cornerbacks 10 yards back from the line and actually allow them to press a receiver???? I dont understand this confusing world you live in, Rock

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Yes, in this particular crappy offense the difference in QB isn't a big deal. Bad QB game managers do fine under Trestman although they still lose games (like losses by the great Josh McCown to powerhouse teams St. Louis and Minnesota last year).

In a standard offense the difference between Cutler and players like McCown or Clausen would be huge (look how McCown is doing in Tampa).

The crappiness yesterday was the drops. Who knows if the Lions defensive intensity didn't take a hit facing a back up QB that has hardly played in 4 years, but if the receivers actually caught the ball yesterday, there would have been a lot more points on the board, and talk radio would have really had a field day. Kyle Long would have been nice to have in the line up as well.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
You mean its good to not start your cornerbacks 10 yards back from the line and actually allow them to press a receiver???? I dont understand this confusing world you live in, Rock

The secondary is incredibly undisciplined. I see them trying several concepts and none of them seem to work because they dont train a certain way. It's like watching a bottom of the barrel college defense at times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:36 AM)
The crappiness yesterday was the drops. Who knows if the Lions defensive intensity didn't take a hit facing a back up QB that has hardly played in 4 years, but if the receivers actually caught the ball yesterday, there would have been a lot more points on the board, and talk radio would have really had a field day. Kyle Long would have been nice to have in the line up as well.

How do you know they would've had "a lot" more points? McCown had a lot of success in between the 20s, but had some issues in the red zone. Yesterday the Bears were stopped at the goal line also. We have no idea how many points they should or would have scored. If not for the muffed punt and the roughing the kicker they could have gotten shut out.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
How do you know they would've had "a lot" more points? McCown had a lot of success in between the 20s, but had some issues in the red zone. Yesterday the Bears were stopped at the goal line also. We have no idea how many points they should or would have scored. If not for the muffed punt and the roughing the kicker they could have gotten shut out.

The Lions also turned the ball over twice in the red zone. You can argue what ifs all day long, but they definitely work both ways yesterday

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
GoSox05 said it last week, but that Bills loss is gonna really come back to haunt the Packers. Or the loss in NOLA to a Saints team that lost their next 5 in a row at home.

I'm starting to think it doesn't matter if they are at home or on the road. Seattle looks tough to beat.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)

The muffed punt occurred right after a missed pass interference penalty which could have been a TD, so call that even. Clausen also got hit on a pass at the 2 yard line by Suh, who beat Ola who was in there for Long. I think they would have had at least one more TD, maybe another FG or 2 if they cut the drops in half.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
The secondary is incredibly undisciplined. I see them trying several concepts and none of them seem to work because they dont train a certain way. It's like watching a bottom of the barrel college defense at times.

The defense is vanilla to the point it is completely predictable. A few games ago the announcers were surprised to see stunts on the line because the previous game they had not seen any of them. Pretty much every announcer has displayed surprise that the Bears play the CBs so far off the line and allow the 10-15 yard medium plays so consistently. It is simply a terrible defense, and the college comparison is not bad at all

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
The muffed punt occurred right after a missed pass interference penalty which could have been a TD, so call that even. Clausen also got hit on a pass at the 2 yard line by Suh, who beat Ola who was in there for Long. I think they would have had at least one more TD, maybe another FG or 2 if they cut the drops in half.

It's not as though any TD passes were dropped. I don't know how one can credit them with another 10-13 possible points in that case. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, though, and neither of us can be proven right or wrong. The only fact remains that the Bears put up 14 points.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
The defense is vanilla to the point it is completely predictable. A few games ago the announcers were surprised to see stunts on the line because the previous game they had not seen any of them. Pretty much every announcer has displayed surprise that the Bears play the CBs so far off the line and allow the 10-15 yard medium plays so consistently. It is simply a terrible defense, and the college comparison is not bad at all

They do this weird Cover 4 pattern matching hybrid with a secondary that has no coverage ability in the safety position. Its weird.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
They do this weird Cover 4 pattern matching hybrid with a secondary that has no coverage ability in the safety position. Its weird.

They also love to match up their linebackers in coverage(Gronk says HELLO!), and most of the linebackers have no ability or instincts in coverage. So, yea, its fun to watch