Attendance

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
The stigma is that the Sox have banished those people to the UD. I haven't been to one other park that does this. There are a lot more concessions, stands, etc. downstairs. To not let people down there is dumb. We know it all stemmed from keeping the half price Monday crowd off the field, but those don't exist anymore.

The problem is the lower deck got far too crowded before the rule was instituted. Navigating the lower deck with a crowd 25K+ is challenging enough with the rule in place.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
The problem is the lower deck got far too crowded before the rule was instituted. Navigating the lower deck with a crowd 25K+ is challenging enough with the rule in place.

I see your point, but no other ball club/stadium has this problem, or has come up with a solution?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
I see your point, but no other ball club/stadium has this problem, or has come up with a solution?

Thing is, I don't know of any other park where you can watch the game from anywhere on the lower deck concourse. People hang out the entire game on the concourse because there are several spots that provide very good views.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)

Kansas City has the exact same stadium layout/design/configuration and a similar propensity for fans to sit in the lower bowl as USCF...their ushers are very vigilant about letting someone into the box seats, which is of course their responsibility.

It gets crowded, but they've managed to widen the concourses as well as adding to the outfield/patio area so not everyone is drawn to the area between 1st and 3rd. Have never noticed a big problem there.

It goes back to "protecting" the experience of the box seat holders.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
Thing is, I don't know of any other park where you can watch the game from anywhere on the lower deck concourse. People hang out the entire game on the concourse because there are several spots that provide very good views.

I will say this, now that I've been to a bunch of other stadiums, the concourses at USCF do feel tight. They should have been designed much wider. Plus, the layout of the food stands is terrible. All the lines jut into the walkway, and there's no where for anyone to go. You've got food lines on both sides of the concourse, to the point where they almost meet. Lot of other parks have better set ups, and there are plenty where you can still see the game from the majority of the concourse.

I don't have a great solution, but it seems ridiculous that we're the only park (that I know of) that has this policy. I know a ton of people who can't stand the UD only policy, and I'm sure some people don't go to as many games just due to the fact that you can't get down there whatsoever for all the other amenities. If you bring a family, it'd be great to be able to get downstairs for some amenities, then go sit upstairs. I'm sure some families can't afford lower deck tickets for every game, just so they can use that concourse. Is there even a family bathroom in the UD?

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 01:21 AM)
Kansas City has the exact same stadium layout/design/configuration and a similar propensity for fans to sit in the lower bowl as USCF...their ushers are very vigilant about letting someone into the box seats, which is of course their responsibility.

It gets crowded, but they've managed to widen the concourses as well as adding to the outfield/patio area so not everyone is drawn to the area between 1st and 3rd. Have never noticed a big problem there.

It goes back to "protecting" the experience of the box seat holders.

Caufield are u back in KC? or still overseas somewhere?

Caufield and Fathom are interesting. They never post in the winter. They are like bears in hibernation. Then they reappear. They are regular-season aficionados.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Caufield are u back in KC? or still overseas somewhere?

Caufield and Fathom are interesting. They never post in the winter. They are like bears in hibernation. Then they reappear. They are regular-season aficionados.

I'm in China. Suffering through all these 4 a.m. start times. Before that, Indonesia for 2 1/2 months, as well as India and Kenya/Tanzania/Ethiopia.

Although I will honestly admit it was hard for me to stay awake after the lead was already 7-2. Still, the team has shown the capacity to rally back offensively.

And, like you, I was excited to see Ventura start against the Sox...he's going to have to wait until early next week. Not sure who they're playing, maybe Tampa?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
I will say this, now that I've been to a bunch of other stadiums, the concourses at USCF do feel tight. They should have been designed much wider. Plus, the layout of the food stands is terrible. All the lines jut into the walkway, and there's no where for anyone to go. You've got food lines on both sides of the concourse, to the point where they almost meet. Lot of other parks have better set ups, and there are plenty where you can still see the game from the majority of the concourse.

I don't have a great solution, but it seems ridiculous that we're the only park (that I know of) that has this policy. I know a ton of people who can't stand the UD only policy, and I'm sure some people don't go to as many games just due to the fact that you can't get down there whatsoever for all the other amenities. If you bring a family, it'd be great to be able to get downstairs for some amenities, then go sit upstairs. I'm sure some families can't afford lower deck tickets for every game, just so they can use that concourse. Is there even a family bathroom in the UD?

I forgot about all those stands they've added on the lower deck over the years, good point. As far as the upper deck concourse goes, they've improved it since the renovation, but it pales in comparison to the lower deck. They'll make improvements to it when they start selling UD tix more consistently because they won't want to leave any money on the table.

My feeling about Sox Park is that it was built around the premise of maximizing revenue for a season attendance of 2M and it probably does a good job of that. I'd put the lower deck seats with the best in MLB. Unfortunately to design it that way, the upper deck had to be one of the worst. Forget about the steepness (which is an issue), the first row is too far back from home plate. The views are solid, but the casual fan is not going to enjoy the experience of going to a game nearly as much because the seats are so far away.

Zoom in ... no, even more than that:

If I were in the business of producing and/or directing White Sox games on television, I would seriously consider changing my approach on certain days.

I do not fault fans for not going when it's 39 degrees and windy, and this is not some recycled rant about the age-old attendance issues. But some standard camera shots are just not worth using.

Take the low third-base angle of the pitcher as he comes to the set position, with a runner being held on first behind him. In the background, you can see literally thousands of empty green seats. It's distracting, a bit sad and leads to even more knee-jerk commentary about the Sox and what their perceived importance in this town is. Show me a high angle of the infield from the broadcast perspective to widen the focus as intended.

Another common one: a wide shot of the barren outfield stands as a graphic shows the "picks to click." You might want to do that over the 2005 trophy in the lobby, or the statue outside Gate 4.

Look at it as an opportunity to be creative, and also protect the image of your team.

Daily Herald/Scot Gregor

http://www.azcentral.com/story/piecoro-blo...-stuff/7377397/

What the DBacks are trying to do to make their stadium look fuller...one of the potential solutions is widening the upper deck seats and providing more amenities/discounts/packages (a lot like the A's do where you get a combo of different items or all you can nights, etc.)Building a stadium restaurant has already been done, the USCF example was actually used in this article.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 5, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
I forgot about all those stands they've added on the lower deck over the years, good point. As far as the upper deck concourse goes, they've improved it since the renovation, but it pales in comparison to the lower deck. They'll make improvements to it when they start selling UD tix more consistently because they won't want to leave any money on the table.

My feeling about Sox Park is that it was built around the premise of maximizing revenue for a season attendance of 2M and it probably does a good job of that. I'd put the lower deck seats with the best in MLB. Unfortunately to design it that way, the upper deck had to be one of the worst. Forget about the steepness (which is an issue), the first row is too far back from home plate. The views are solid, but the casual fan is not going to enjoy the experience of going to a game nearly as much because the seats are so far away.

I haven't sat in front row UD seats in any other parks, except Wrigley... but we have kept our season seats in basically the same spot - front row UD, above home plate, 3B side - for years, and have no plans to move. We've had plenty of chances to go LD, but having sat in various parts down there too, I'd rather have our seats than behind 20 rows of people in the LD. And ours are much cheaper to boot. The views are great, IMO, so I'm not sure I agree with your assessment.

The upper deck was built with that level of slant/rake in order to keep the majorit of UD seats as close as possible to the field.

Simple geometry.

It's not as much of an issue in KC as Chicago, although both stadiums are virtually identically except for the outfield concourse/fountains.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 06:45 AM)
Here we go...

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/why-the...hould-relocate/

I haven't even read it yet, but the first thing I noticed is this dips*** doesn't know the difference between then and than.

Really silly, imo, how the interwebs world feels the need to respond to the smarmy asses that are Deadspin. The Deadspin crap was purely fish-in-a-barrel. Of course an early April, cold weather, weekday, where it was raining all morning game is going to be poorly attended. They can recycle the same articles annually with the same stupid old jokes. Lazy and irrelevant.

Deadspin fancies itself the anti-meathead site, but frequently promulgates the most meathead of opinions.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Really silly, imo, how the interwebs world feels the need to respond to the smarmy asses that are Deadspin. The Deadspin crap was purely fish-in-a-barrel. Of course an early April, cold weather, weekday, where it was raining all morning game is going to be poorly attended. They can recycle the same articles annually with the same stupid old jokes. Lazy and irrelevant.

Deadspin fancies itself the anti-meathead site, but frequently promulgates the most meathead of opinions.

Deadspin is a bottom feeder infested rathole.

I concur with many here that even if you gave me tickets to the game I wouldn't have gone (I went to Opening Day, though).

Baseball is just no fun when it's cold out and why they start this season in April up here in the north is beyond me.

Also consider Hawks and Bulls are still in their seasons and yes right now I'm in Hawks mode and will be until their season ends at which point I will return to my Sox. Unlike the Sox for years, the Hawks are a team that always has a chance to contend.

I wouldn't draw too much from a nasty day game in 30 degree weather. We'll see how it pans out. Look, winning = attendance and I really think people are fed up with the Cubs so you might see a new generation of Sox fans come along.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)

That was really good. It will be completely ignored, of course.

The Reds had similar crowds last year in September. I always pay attention to crowds when I watch highlights, so I remember their small outfield crowds standing out. Yankee stadium always has almost all of the seats behind home plate open, also, because they're ridiculously expensive.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)
Here we go...

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/why-the...hould-relocate/

I haven't even read it yet, but the first thing I noticed is this dips*** doesn't know the difference between then and than.

This is one of the more poorly written postings I've ever seen on FanGraphs. It makes it very difficult to take it seriously.