Game Thread- Sox @ Tigers 12:10 PM CT

Jose Abreu

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
I agree -- MLB should pay for some phantom cameras and postion them throughout the park.

I believe they do have those cameras in Comerica. The Tigers Fox Sports broadcast uses them all the time.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Why does Jose have his entire foot on the bag? That's not the best technique in the world.

He also leaves his foot on the bag too long after he catches the ball, looking like he's going to pull something. I'm not sure why anyone hasn't told him this. Watch some Mark Grace video, pronto.

QUOTE (1dog @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
He also leaves his foot on the bag too long after he catches the ball, looking like he's going to pull something. I'm not sure why anyone hasn't told him this. Watch some Mark Grace video, pronto.

I was always taught, all the way through low level college, that you want to position your heel on the bag on most plays.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
I was always taught, all the way through low level college, that you want to position your heel on the bag on most plays.

That is so uncomfortable for me. I put the arch of my foot on the bag so I can maneuver with the throw. If I put my heel on the bag it feels like my weight is too far back and I can't range to my right as well

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
ERA+ 96, -0.3 WAR,

That's a pretty small difference in ERA's, not where you can make a judgment on that stat alone. I do know that Reed has 26 saves for a lousy team, and that he is/was clearly better at closing than either Lindstrom or Belasario. Those two guys are much better set up men than closers, so it follows that if Reed were not traded. he would have been closing and those two guys would have been in their proper places in the bullpen, and just maybe we wouldn't have had to pitch Paulino at all, and voila the Sox are several games better. Does not seem very complicated. Better closing + better set up performances = a few more wins.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
That's a pretty small difference in ERA's, not where you can make a judgment on that stat alone. I do know that Reed has 26 saves for a lousy team, and that he is/was clearly better at closing than either Lindstrom or Belasario. Those two guys are much better set up men than closers, so it follows that if Reed were not traded. he would have been closing and those two guys would have been in their proper places in the bullpen, and just maybe we wouldn't have had to pitch Paulino at all, and voila the Sox are several games better. Does not seem very complicated. Better closing + better set up performances = a few more wins.

The number you gave earlier was essentially 10 games. Don't backtrack and minimize now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
The number you gave earlier was essentially 10 games. Don't backtrack and minimize now.

It isn't 10 but I bet it is significant. People were using losing Jones and Lindstrom as a crutch, how about Reed? Using his ERA is silly, but if it needs to be done, what is the Sox team ERA in closing situations?

I don't understand the logic when people want to say Reed sucks but can't just admit if that is true the guy the got for him sucks more.