Is This a Playoff Team in 2015?

Dunt

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
I've said this before and I'll say it again- who specifically do you all want when you ask for a lefty bat to replace Dunn? There just aren't many LH power hitters on the market.

It isn't popular, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dunn back on a much cheaper one year deal.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll have to see what happens this offseason but my gut tells me no, this isn't a playoff team next year. The only real way IMO to get in the playoffs next year is to win the Central. Teams having underachieving years like the NYY, Red Sox, Tigers (to an extent) will be big players this offseason and if you add in the AL West which has been very good this year, I think the 2 WC's come out of those divisions.

Personally I'd like to see Hahn shake the roster up quite a bit this offseason, this just seems like its the same team, different year and same results every year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
That is why it is imperative to see what you have in Wilkins. He may suck and I would argue that is more likely than feeling confident to place him as your DH next year, but you gotta see what you have.

I really doubt you see him this fall. We are already opening up a 40 man roster spot for Rodon, and made one for Avi.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
I've said this before and I'll say it again- who specifically do you all want when you ask for a lefty bat to replace Dunn? There just aren't many LH power hitters on the market.

LaRoche...likely to extend in Washington

Lind...aging, good average but where's the power?

Rasmus....the next JD Drew bad long-term contract?

Melky Cabrera....very good or great for 3 seasons in his career, below average for the other 5...PED's issues, 31 on Opening Day

Nick Markakis...O's might want to keep him, but undoubtedly for less than $12 million per season if they make the playoffs...complementary player, good/solid, does everything pretty well but he's always been a 750ish OPS type of guy and he's going to be declining from now on.

Victor Martinez...likely to re-up with the Tigers

Pablo Sandoval...he's struggled this season, weight issues, don't have the same need for 3B we had going into 2014

Seth Smith...extended with Padres

Cuddyer...likely to stay in Colorado, although a possibility

Outfielders

Norichika Aoki

Emilio Bonifacio

Melky Cabrera

Nelson Cruz

Michael Cuddyer

Rajai Davis

Chris Denorfia

Jeff Francoeur

Jonny Gomes

Franklin Gutierrez

Tony Gwynn Jr.

Scott Hairston

Torii Hunter

Raul Ibanez

Reed Johnson

Ryan Ludwick *

Nick Markakis *

Darnell McDonald

Mike Morse

Colby Rasmus

Alex Rios *

Nate Schierholtz

Grady Sizemore

Seth Smith

Alfonso Soriano

Denard Span *

Ichiro Suzuki

Ryan Sweeney

Josh Willingham

Chris Young

Delmon Young

* players with options for 2015

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
The reality though is that teams gave up actually talented players for some of those guys. That's where Danks could have fit in if the Sox were willing to eat a little bit of money or if the Sox were more aggressive in dumping him in June.

What were the offers for Danks in June?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
It isn't popular, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dunn back on a much cheaper one year deal.

What's the point??

I just don't see Dunn WANTING to come back to Chicago, or JR wanting him back.

With all this retirement talk, he doesn't even sound like he's happy about finishing this season. It's bad enough we always hear stories Ventura isn't sure about managing long-term, we shouldn't invest another year in a DH who doesn't even feel excited to play anymore.

On one hand, we've got Avisail Garcia busting his butt in rehab and hustling on every play, Dunn's pretty much the antithesis of that.

What's next? Konerko will want to come back as player/coach in 2015?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
What's the point??

I just don't see Dunn WANTING to come back to Chicago, or JR wanting him back.

With all this retirement talk, he doesn't even sound like he's happy about finishing this season. It's bad enough we always hear stories Ventura isn't sure about managing long-term, we shouldn't invest another year in a DH who doesn't even feel excited to play anymore.

On one hand, we've got Avisail Garcia busting his butt in rehab and hustling on every play, Dunn's pretty much the antithesis of that.

What's next? Konerko will want to come back as player/coach in 2015?

The point is who is the left handed power in the white sox line up next year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)

Nick Markakis would be a great fit on this ballclub. He's not exactly a power bat, but still a great fit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
The point is who is the left handed power in the white sox line up next year.

If Dunn is the only option, then I'd much rather have Nelson Cruz. If they bring back Dunn, I'm going to have to agree with Greg775 about that being a pretty tone-deaf move as far as the fan base is concerned.

As was mentioned previously, we "only" had Valentin and Durham to go with all those RH power bats 10-15 years ago.

Gillaspie could still develop into another version of Valentin, maybe not 20-30 homers, but at least 12-15, maybe 18.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
To make this happen we need to have an obvious guy we'd be willing to either trade, demote, or release if Rodon is tearing up the minors in May. If they're not willing to eat Danks's contract and Noesi is pitching as well as he has with the Sox, then that means they need to find an expendable arm to fill that rotation slot in April and May.

How many seasons have the White Sox only gone with 5 starters for an entire season? I'll save you some time.........0.

While you may be all excited about Noesi now, keep in mind, a year ago, people were all ga ga over Erik Johnson and Andre Rienzo. Surely, if Rodon started out in the minors and was lights out, there would be plenty of room for him in the rotation. Someone is either going to really suck or get hurt. It happens every season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
How many seasons have the White Sox only gone with 5 starters for an entire season? I'll save you some time.........0.

This is an argument for knowing who your 6th starter is, not for keeping a prospect you expect in your rotation long-term in the minors while awaiting an injury.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Michael Cuddyer

Melky Cabrera

Nelson Cruz

Rajai Davis

Nick Markakis

Colby Rasmus

Alex Rios

Denard Span

Sure, but bolded are right handed hitters. Sadly, the best LH power options for 2015 are Wilkins, Dunn, Rasmus, Alvarez (Pirates growing tired of him), or some switch hitter like Melky.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
Sure, but bolded are right handed hitters. Sadly, the best LH power options for 2015 are Wilkins, Dunn, Rasmus, Alvarez (Pirates growing tired of him), or some switch hitter like Melky.

Yes, I was simply highlighting some of the other guys who MIGHT be options.

It's not impossible to do. The Tigers came up with both Rajai Davis (2 years, $9 million, basically the same as DeAza/Keppinger/Lindstrom) and JD Martinez (waiver wire), but neither of those players are true impact guys.

They've been better than expected, but you have to add them to a solid/decent core of hitters (Martinez, Cabrera, Kinsler, Castellanos, Austin Jackson, Avila, etc.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Yes, I was simply highlighting some of the other guys who MIGHT be options.

It's not impossible to do. The Tigers came up with both Rajai Davis (2 years, $9 million, basically the same as DeAza/Keppinger/Lindstrom) and JD Martinez (waiver wire), but neither of those players are true impact guys.

They've been better than expected, but you have to add them to a solid/decent core of hitters (Martinez, Cabrera, Kinsler, Castellanos, Austin Jackson, Avila, etc.)

And out of this list, 2 guys have OPS+ numbers of 96 (OPS in the low .700's, below average) a 3rd has an average OPS+ (exactly 100, .740 OPS), and the 4th was traded away for a pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
And out of this list, 2 guys have OPS+ numbers of 96 (OPS in the low .700's, below average) a 3rd has an average OPS+ (exactly 100, .740 OPS), and the 4th was traded away for a pitcher.

And that's telling you exactly why the Tigers are where they are right now, besides the injuries/non-performance with Verlander, Sanchez's injury, Soria's injury and Nathan's general ineffectiveness and more blown saves already than 2012 and 2013 combined.

Of course, Jackson went south offensively, Castellanos is a rookie and Avila's a "decent" bat at catcher but still probably below average overall, despite the terrible lack of depth at that position.

Not to mention their defense, although that's been improved over past seasons...especially because of Suarez/Igleias up the middle rather than Peralta. Obviously, moving Cabrera from 3B to 1B helped, too. Of course, trading Austin Jackson and surrounding him on the corners with Davis/Martinez/Hunter hasn't helped matters. That was a huge risk for Dombrowski to take.

I forgot to mention Torii Hunter. He was great last year (especially for his age), but he's finally become a defensive black hole at his age and his OPS/WAR numbers are pretty bad (mid 700's, negative WAR due to defense).

That said, Victor Martinez has been nearly an MVP candidate, making up partially for the erosion in Cabrera's power.

Edited by caulfield12

If we are looking to add a left handed bat, I would look into Rasmus. Not only does he have decent pop, but he plays pretty good defense. This would allow the Sox to DH Viciedo should they keep him. A starting OF of Rasmus, Eaton and Garcia looks pretty good to me. Hopefully Rasmus's cost has gone down due to his subpar season. If he would have been a free agent after last year, he would have gotten big time bucks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
I really doubt you see him this fall. We are already opening up a 40 man roster spot for Rodon, and made one for Avi.

There are plenty of players to drop for the 40 for both of them. Nestor Molina, Paulino, Frank De Los Santos, Taylor Thompson all can be dropped.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I really think the majority of additions to the roster next season come from the trade market. I expect Alexei will be made available for the right return in the winter meetings and that Hahn will make a run at Tomas and probably at Pedro Alvarez as an alternative to re-signing Dunn. I think Alexei could go for a pretty good return as the Red Sox and Yankees are both likely to be in the bidding along with the Dodgers if they feel that Hanley either won't sign or has a future at 3B.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 20, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
I really think the majority of additions to the roster next season come from the trade market. I expect Alexei will be made available for the right return in the winter meetings and that Hahn will make a run at Tomas and probably at Pedro Alvarez as an alternative to re-signing Dunn. I think Alexei could go for a pretty good return as the Red Sox and Yankees are both likely to be in the bidding along with the Dodgers if they feel that Hanley either won't sign or has a future at 3B.

If Red Sox want Alexei, I'm asking for Boegarts.