Predict The Next Move

Dunt

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 02:05 AM)
Predicting some sort of buy-low option in the rotation. Sort of like the Paulino deal except with a guy who has actually had success (Morrow, Medlen, Beachy, etc.)

there are some nice players who are available. with that, i think

the sox brass will have a better idea of them and what the needs

of the team are.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Predicting some sort of buy-low option in the rotation. Sort of like the Paulino deal except with a guy who has actually had success (Morrow, Medlen, Beachy, etc.)

Morrow would be an excellent signing.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
To futhur illustrate my point about more talent in the position players , the Sox hitters had a cumulative 15.5 WAR. Our top players were:

Abreu 5.5

Eaton 5.2

Alexei 3.0

Flowers 2.3

Gillaspie 1.5

Beckham 0.6

Semien 0.5

Sierra 0.5

Others below 0.5 but still in positive territoy were Dunn, DeAza and Phegley.

The Sox had 8 players either mostly in bench roles or injured for most of the season (Garcia) who either didn't provide enough hitting to offset their bad fielding or enough good fielding to offset their bad hitting or were bad at both.

You'll also notice 4 players in postive WAR are no longer with the team (Beckham, DeAza, Dunn and Sierra ).

Melky Cabrera had a 3.1 ,Brock Holt a 2.1, Michael Saunders 2.4 playing half a season . Rasmus had a 0.9 despite a bad season of hitting but enough defense to somewhat overcome it.

I hold out hope that Avi Garcia has a positive WAR in him when he becomes the hitter he should be and improves enough defensively.

Adam LaRoche had a 2.2 which will be hard to duplicate being another year older past his prime and mostly DH'ing but it's a start towards adding more talent to the roster.

I'd feel much more comfortable with the Sox having a 20 WAR amongst the position players which means better defense and better offense.

The Tigers, Royals and Giants all had 20.2- 20.5. A 4 WAR guy who plays good D and hits well would be wonderful but a 3.0 would still be a huge boost to this lineup.

Melky has ranged from 3.1 to 4.7 in 3 of the last 4 years. Saunders best was his 2.4 in his limited playing time last year but is entering his prime. Rasmus had a 4.6 as recently as 2013 and generaly has ranged from 1.5 -3.6 in 4 other years is also entering his prime but we are aware of his problems.

The Sox were outscored by 100 runs last year and only have a "Big Two" in Sale and Quintana. A serious contender needs a "Big 3" at the very least. Rodon could be that player but chances are it won't be 2015.

Another quality SP and closer will have the biggest influence on wether the Sox contend in 2015. Right now the next move(s) need to be high quality pitching.

I win :P

getting JS and the maybe getting a comp pick, if he doesn't resign. this got

me thinking last nite as i went to bed. why not and how much would it

cost for cincy to trade Johnny Cueto - sp.

prob way too much for me. oh well. Pit watch and Danks up next.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Ichiro for 1 year w/club option for year 2 to do a straight R/L platoon w/Viciedo.

if DV is still with the team maybe. however i think Ichiro can handle a 350-400

AB's. i am a fan and i like him as a low salary filler.

but didn't someone said that the next sox move will be a trade?

The White Sox do not have time for your so-called "rebuilding process."

Their Monday night acquisition of starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija via trade and signing of closer David Robertson continues Chicago's acceleration back into contender range, probably to the point that they're comfortably a .500 team (assuming a healthy rotation), while addressing the two biggest needs from the 2014 roster.

www.espn.com

Keith Law Insider

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 06:51 AM)
Does Danks plus Anderson land Kemp? Salary swap plus a legit prospect? Would you do it if you were Hahn?

Right now Kemp is unwantable. We don't have to give up actual good players to get him. It's just a matter of whether we can stomach his contract

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
The White Sox do not have time for your so-called "rebuilding process."

Their Monday night acquisition of starting pitcher Jeff Samardzija via trade and signing of closer David Robertson continues Chicago's acceleration back into contender range, probably to the point that they're comfortably a .500 team (assuming a healthy rotation), while addressing the two biggest needs from the 2014 roster.

www.espn.com

Keith Law Insider

ahh for crying out load. 500???? the sox only improve in 2 positions???

what is Zack, and Adam signing???

for me, this is still a rebuilding, a quasi rebuilding. maybe Hahn has the same idea of rebuilding.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
ahh for crying out load. 500???? the sox only improve in 2 positions???

what is Zack, and Adam signing???

for me, this is still a rebuilding, a quasi rebuilding. maybe Hahn has the same idea of rebuilding.

Yeah, I think they're barely a .500 team. They need a whole lot of people in their lineup to get better to be any better than that.

Many speculated that Semien would platoon with Gillaspie at 3RD. With him gone, who could provide really good defense, at the hot corner, vs. LHP?

That would be one of the minor moves that should now be on Hahn's shopping list.

Unless they still plan on spending substantially more money, maybe they could get by with Shuck in LF. He is a good OBP guy, who might be able to fill the

#2 hole. He hits both RH and LH pitching about equally. He doesn't strike out, and has been reportedly working harder on bunting. Eaton has good on base skills,

but isn't really a big stolen base threat. If Shuck could move Eaton into scoring position with bunts and the hit and run, and get on base himself, at the pace he did

with the Astros in 2011, or the Angels in 2013, the Sox might not need to sign another free agent, to fill the void in LF.

If the Sox still want to spend more money, I would opt for more pitching. You just can't have too much of it. They still don't have a lot of depth in that department.

You have to love the top of the rotation, and when Rodon is added it will be as solid, 1 through 4, as anyone's, but it gets a little thin after that. Noesi and Danks are

decent bottom of the rotation guys, but they really don't have anyone in the organization who appears ready to step in, if someone should get hurt.