Jump to content
Chi Town Sox

Job Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

Interesting. My company is almost always looking for engineers. Although I think they are different types of engineering that what you would know.

Most of the job openings I see are from mechanical, process or application engineers. I honestly don't know enough about engineering to know what the difference between them is though.

Chem Es do process engineering. 

I've decided I'm bowing out of this thread for the foreseeable future, because I've realized that I literally have to come across a perfect opportunity that fits every one of my criteria in order to be successful. Not only does that not exist, it's unrealistic to expect. 

I have a chance to go back to my old company with a new perspective. There is the possibility for career growth there, and I'm willing to go there and try my absolute best. I just don't think there's any way I'd be successful in a full-time, mainstream position. It was probably unrealistic for me to have ever expected it in the first place. 

Good luck to everyone in their careers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Beast said:

True and pensions are definitely a tough issue, even though I am worried my wife won’t ever see her pension because of the unfunded pensions in Illinois, the loopholes in how people can get them from multiple jobs (retired from one, working another) and the fact that the state can’t reduce the 3% COLA or change benefits. My concern is mostly with these reasons and the administrators, along with those leaving the state. So I guess we will have to contribute to an IRA or 403(b) for her retirement. Benefits are definitely a fascinating topic even if they are debatable in Illinois.

The deferred compensation option is the best. Its pre-salary so it also lowers her overall taxable income. If been contributing to this 403b for 15 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

People don't realize that you don't choose your career, your career chooses you. 

Can you please stop making broad / dumb generalizations like this?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Chem Es do process engineering. 

I've decided I'm bowing out of this thread for the foreseeable future, because I've realized that I literally have to come across a perfect opportunity that fits every one of my criteria in order to be successful. Not only does that not exist, it's unrealistic to expect. 

I have a chance to go back to my old company with a new perspective. There is the possibility for career growth there, and I'm willing to go there and try my absolute best. I just don't think there's any way I'd be successful in a full-time, mainstream position. It was probably unrealistic for me to have ever expected it in the first place. 

Good luck to everyone in their careers. 

What’s the job at your old company out of curiosity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s the job at your old company out of curiosity?

Software tester/QA Analyst. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like you should be pumped about this?  I assume you are getting full benefits right?

Not immediately. I have to earn it. I'm fine with that. I have no doubt in my ability to get that done. 

I had another offer but turned it down to go back there. 

I know people there, the environment is pretty laid back, and I know I can be successful. I have a plan if it becomes a dead end again. 

High paced environments aren't for me. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not immediately. I have to earn it. I'm fine with that. I have no doubt in my ability to get that done. 

I had another offer but turned it down to go back there. 

I know people there, the environment is pretty laid back, and I know I can be successful. I have a plan if it becomes a dead end again. 

High paced environments aren't for me. 

But why aren’t you pumped about this?  I really don’t get it man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But why aren’t you pumped about this?  I really don’t get it man.

I am....lol. I'm just a bit nervous because I had another offer that had the potential for way more $ but turned it down because of fit issues. I had to make a business decision and it was stressful. I'm more relieved than excited.....

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lane said:

A sincere thank you, Ray, and I'm glad it meant so much to you. Our overall end goals might not change, but it's great to talk to people who disagree with our perspectives. I am still and probably always will be ardently conservative, but that does not mean I am not willing to listen to others and hash these things out and even rethink things (in some circumstances, anyway). If you can't discuss your beliefs in a rational manner, they're not beliefs worth having. Have a great weekend, and happy Valentine's Day to you and your wife!

 

10 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just wanted to say, the discussion Lane and I had via PM's after this conversation was not only cordial, but it gives me hope for a lot of people. Messaging is huge in these discussions; lane isn't a bad person just because he feels the way he feels. In fact, due to the messaging given to those who disagree with many I understand completely why lane feels the way he does. The fact that he was not only willing to listen to my point, but even agree with my angle despite disagreeing with the premise prior to our discussion is why I love these conversations. The key to life isn't telling those who don't see things the way you do that they are idiots; the key is informing them that just because they benefited from things does not mean they didn't earn them through hard work; the point I made is that everyone should just have that same opportunity and sadly they still do not. 

Lane, great conversation and I really appreciated your thoughts and feelings on all of this. I understand the frustration of thinking people were saying you were handed something because you were white, or because of your parents, when you know you worked really hard to get where you are. I told lane about experiences I have witnessed my wife have - who is a native Colombian - and how it breaks my heart to see her judged for her accent, culture and etc. My wife is a brilliant woman - with an engineering degree - but she doesn't always get the same opportunities that I may get because of her cultural background. All I ask is for everyone to be on an even playing field, and for the fortunate ones among us to understand that not everyone had loving parents... or parents that could be home because they may have had to work two jobs to support their families. 

At the end of the day, we're all human beings, and we're frequently a product of our environments. I am hopeful we can get to a place where all kids feel supported and an equal opportunity to succeed; a place in which the environment for all is one of opportunity and not survival. Crime is higher in low income neighborhoods not because they are evil people, but because desperation breeds a survival instinct in humans and people do whatever they have to when survival is involved. I don't judge those from backgrounds that I can't understand, but if we support each other we can build up the bottom which greatly benefits the middle and the top.

Good discussion all around, and I am immensely grateful for the cordial nature of this discussion. It shows me that we are all still capable of respectful conversation. Have a great weekend, fellas.

This is the kind of reason why I feel the Filibuster should come back. To debate and discuss is one thing but to flame and bash is another thing. As an independent moderate who is passionate about politics I have heard from the most liberal and conservative people and though I don’t always agree, it is healthy to have these discussions if done in a respectful way. I’m glad both of you guys got to talk things out over PMs. That might be our only option for political talk on this site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ptatc said:

The deferred compensation option is the best. Its pre-salary so it also lowers her overall taxable income. If been contributing to this 403b for 15 years.

I would love to hear more about the 403(b) and your last post on healthcare. Very interesting stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I am....lol. I'm just a bit nervous because I had another offer that had the potential for way more $ but turned it down because of fit issues. I had to make a business decision and it was stressful. I'm more relieved than excited.....

Don’t overthink it.  If you haven’t been part of Corporate America for a while, I think going to a familiar setting was the right call.  I’m happy for you man, I know it’s been a tough process but just view this as the beginning of something good even if it’s not the job you’ve been dreaming of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can you please stop making broad / dumb generalizations like this?

For some people, they do fall into their work instead of picking their career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t overthink it.  If you haven’t been part of Corporate America for a while, I think going to a familiar setting was the right call.  I’m happy for you man, I know it’s been a tough process but just view this as the beginning of something good even if it’s not the job you’ve been dreaming of.

After experimenting for a while, this is my dream job. I don't expect anything more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, The Beast said:

 

This is the kind of reason why I feel the Filibuster should come back. To debate and discuss is one thing but to flame and bash is another thing. As an independent moderate who is passionate about politics I have heard from the most liberal and conservative people and though I don’t always agree, it is healthy to have these discussions if done in a respectful way. I’m glad both of you guys got to talk things out over PMs. That might be our only option for political talk on this site.

I agree with you that the Buster had some of the best discussion on the site, but it dragged over in way too many places; White Sox baseball had already made the place toxic enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, The Beast said:

I would love to hear more about the 403(b) and your last post on healthcare. Very interesting stuff.

As a teacher, she should have an option for deferred compensation. It is money that is deducted and place into the retirement account from her salary.  It lowers her taxable income and goes straight to retirement. It's a great deal and is only limited by the retirement account limitations.

As for the healthcare discussion, I've been in the healthcare field for 35 years. The government run Medicare and Medicaid programs are some of the worst run and corrupt systems. If those systems were actually monitored and run more effectively, the healthcare system would cover more people. I've quit jobs because of practices that abused the system beyond reason. I once reported an issue and it was handled so poorly by the state that nothing happened except for me to have an unworkable employment situation. I left there and couldn't work in that group because the PT world is very small world. Luckily I have licenses in multiple fields and worked elsewhere for awhile. 

I just dont see how a government run system with this country's issues could work. But as I said maybe someone can figure it out but I haven't seen a plan yet to convince me it would. Just saying the country should do it, is good in theory but someone would need to detail the practical aspects to get me on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, The Beast said:

 

This is the kind of reason why I feel the Filibuster should come back. To debate and discuss is one thing but to flame and bash is another thing. As an independent moderate who is passionate about politics I have heard from the most liberal and conservative people and though I don’t always agree, it is healthy to have these discussions if done in a respectful way. I’m glad both of you guys got to talk things out over PMs. That might be our only option for political talk on this site.

Nah, the buster should not return. No Filibuster means less people getting put on vacation on here.

There were too many assumptions made about people when discussing controversial issues in the buster. As somebody who went against more liberal opinions on matters 90 percent of the time, I got accused of many bad character traits when nobody had the right to judge me off opinions on a message board.

As far as jobs ... allegedly unemployment is down and there should be some good jobs out there to be had.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, ptatc said:

I just dont see how a government run system with this country's issues could work. But as I said maybe someone can figure it out but I haven't seen a plan yet to convince me it would. Just saying the country should do it, is good in theory but someone would need to detail the practical aspects to get me on board.

But would it be better than what we have now? That's the real question.

I just spent 2 months fighting to get a bill paid from last April that my insurance said they would pay but somehow never got despite the medical clinic saying they sent them bill to them 3 times.

I've also heard stories of insurance companies denying coverage for things because the insurance company decided that the procedures that the trained medical doctors performed weren't "medically necessary".

We shouldn't have people afraid to do to the doctor for things that could possibly be life-threatening because they are worried that they won't be able to pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

But would it be better than what we have now? That's the real question.

I just spent 2 months fighting to get a bill paid from last April that my insurance said they would pay but somehow never got despite the medical clinic saying they sent them bill to them 3 times.

I've also heard stories of insurance companies denying coverage for things because the insurance company decided that the procedures that the trained medical doctors performed weren't "medically necessary".

We shouldn't have people afraid to do to the doctor for things that could possibly be life-threatening because they are worried that they won't be able to pay for it.

I agree. This is the only reason I'm tempted to vote for a candidate who will have government run medical care. Do I think the government system will be effective? Hell no. I do not. But I am so pissed at insurance companies for a.) inflating prices for meds and hospital stays/treatements and b.) declining procedures aftre the fact that yes I want it FREE and want it from Bernie. The insurance companies have forced me to this stage. Also after paying into SS for years I want that money someday and don't want the system to be scrapped and me out of luck. Yes I'm upset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the medical system should be a lot easier to understand and plan around.

I got a bill the other day for a doctor's visit for my wife from October 2018. I called and asked why I'm only now getting this for the first time, and they told me their system was backlogged. I said, "Well, it took you guys 16 months, so I'll pay in September of 2021." Seriously, how is this acceptable?

Maybe I'm living in fantasyland, but I should be able to go on a hospital's website and see prices. For EVERYTHING. I should be able to enter my insurance policy and see how each of these things will be covered and what my end cost will be. If I show up and need some treatment that I didn't expect, the hospital should have a responsibility to give me each of those figures (total cost, and cost after insurance) right then and there. After I leave, I should be able to log into a central website using my social security number and see everything that all members of my family have completed, what we have pending, what we have ready to pay, etc. I should be able to see how close I am to fulfilling my deductible. And so on. NONE of this should EVER be a surprise.

As usual, I am against socialized things and I can afford this, but it's a real nuisance when a $250 bill shows up for something that happened almost two years ago. At that point, the hospital should have to eat it. How am I supposed to budget accurately when that crap happens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

But would it be better than what we have now? That's the real question.

I just spent 2 months fighting to get a bill paid from last April that my insurance said they would pay but somehow never got despite the medical clinic saying they sent them bill to them 3 times.

I've also heard stories of insurance companies denying coverage for things because the insurance company decided that the procedures that the trained medical doctors performed weren't "medically necessary".

We shouldn't have people afraid to do to the doctor for things that could possibly be life-threatening because they are worried that they won't be able to pay for it.

No doubt. Working for the state,  providers have refuse to treat my family because they know they state takes 180 days minimum to pay. 

Until someone has a plan that that truly changes the system not just Medicare for all, I'm skeptical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lane said:

I think the medical system should be a lot easier to understand and plan around.

I got a bill the other day for a doctor's visit for my wife from October 2018. I called and asked why I'm only now getting this for the first time, and they told me their system was backlogged. I said, "Well, it took you guys 16 months, so I'll pay in September of 2021." Seriously, how is this acceptable?

Maybe I'm living in fantasyland, but I should be able to go on a hospital's website and see prices. For EVERYTHING. I should be able to enter my insurance policy and see how each of these things will be covered and what my end cost will be. If I show up and need some treatment that I didn't expect, the hospital should have a responsibility to give me each of those figures (total cost, and cost after insurance) right then and there. After I leave, I should be able to log into a central website using my social security number and see everything that all members of my family have completed, what we have pending, what we have ready to pay, etc. I should be able to see how close I am to fulfilling my deductible. And so on. NONE of this should EVER be a surprise.

As usual, I am against socialized things and I can afford this, but it's a real nuisance when a $250 bill shows up for something that happened almost two years ago. At that point, the hospital should have to eat it. How am I supposed to budget accurately when that crap happens?

The issues is that each provider makes different deals with different insurance companies.  Currently, you need to call the insurance company to find out the deal de0nding on which plan you have. I think the only way any of this works is to improve the oversight of Medicare, fix it first then see what a Medicare for all plan looks like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to believe that anything would be better than what we have now. Here's a nice story about a woman that is literally getting paid to travel to Mexico to get cheaper prescription drugs.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/utah-sends-employees-mexico-lower-prescription-prices-68861516

Quote

Lovell is one of about 10 state workers participating in a year-old program to lower prescription drug costs by having public employees buy their medication in Mexico at a steep discount compared to U.S. prices. The program appears to be the first of its kind, and is a dramatic example of steps states are taking to alleviate the high cost of prescription drugs.

 

In one long, exhausting day, Lovell flies from Salt Lake City to San Diego. There, an escort picks her up and takes her across the border to a Tijuana hospital, where she gets a refill on her prescription. After that, she’s shuttled back to the airport and heads home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

I'm starting to believe that anything would be better than what we have now. Here's a nice story about a woman that is literally getting paid to travel to Mexico to get cheaper prescription drugs.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/utah-sends-employees-mexico-lower-prescription-prices-68861516

 

Wife was born in Colombia so she has citizenship there. They have very well regarded healthcare, and incredibly affordable. 

To use one example: It would be cheaper for me to fly to Colombia and get dental work done there, than it is to stay here and pay for it. There's really no difference in the quality of care - Colombia has a great system (Better than the USA) and it's incredibly affordable. You also still have options/choices as well. I have an acquaintance who is married to a Colombian woman, and he got cancer in his 20's. He received his treatment in Colombia because it would have bankrupted him in the states and he's living well and happy. 

I use Colombia as an example because they are dealing with an immigration crisis that is actually a crisis; not like the USA's claim of crisis when it's a small % of people and not effecting the Economy. Colombia has had Venezuelans flood their borders because of the crisis there; 1.4 MILLION Venezuelans have crossed the border looking for work and opportunity in the last year. Colombia's population? 49 million. Meaning nearly 3% of the total population! To put that in perspective, that would be like 9.8 million immigrants coming over the border in a 6 month period! The USA estimates that the entire country has 10-12 million and that was over a 3 decade span. 

Colombia pays it's doctors well, and has beautiful and new/modern hospitals. They do all of this without sucking their people dry with healthcare debt. 

Colombia, in general, is a great place for an expat. You still have the people fearful of the drug wars in the 80's and 90's keeping costs down (food and nightlife is so CHEAP but also fun and safe and an experience I'd recommend to everyone), and it also keeps the housing costs down. The cost of living there is so much lower, but the quality of life for someone like me or you is so damn high. It's big cities (Med and Bog and Carte for example) are just as safe, if not safer, than many major US cities and it's the most beautiful piece of land in the world for my money. The people are so kind. It's not that long of a flight from the USA and the weather in the mountains is like San Diego all year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×