Final Four

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
I think KAT will likely be the #1 pick for these reasons pretty much. If Okafor comes out and dominates though, he could easily jump KAT I think. I still think it's pretty close. Okafor is the best post scorer to come out in a while, but who knows how that even translates to the NBA anymore. Maybe he ends up as Al Jefferson or Brook Lopez. Who knows?

Okafor reminds me of Michael Beasley at this stage. Great college offensive game. No effort at all on D. None.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
Okafor reminds me of Michael Beasley at this stage. Great college offensive game. No effort at all on D. None.

Eh, the main problem with Beasley is he had no position because of his size and game (part of that game being the lack of defense). Okafor is 6'11 270 lbs. I think he'll have a much better career than Beasley, although that's not saying much.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
I think it would be hard to have watched the ND-UK game and not think that KAT is the #1 pick. I kind of chuckled a bit when the All-America team was announces and WCS was on it and KAT was not. Good to see that Jerian Grant got recognized, though.

I disagree. I think ND played piss poor defense on him all game. He is limited offensively and athletically.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I disagree. I think ND played piss poor defense on him all game. He is limited offensively and athletically.

I think he's a very good player, but not someone I'd take with the first pick. He was very bad defensively in the game, as he seemed slow off his feet. I do have some hope for his offensive game to expand, as he's a phenomenal free throw shooter for his size/age (as is Myles Turner). D. Russell has the best chance to be a game changer out of this draft class.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
I think he's a very good player, but not someone I'd take with the first pick. He was very bad defensively in the game, as he seemed slow off his feet. I do have some hope for his offensive game to expand, as he's a phenomenal free throw shooter for his size/age (as is Myles Turner). D. Russell has the best chance to be a game changer out of this draft class.

There are several big men that I put into the same catagory like Turner, Towns, even Parker. I do not think they are #1 pick type big men but are solid contributors in the NBA. People like Okafor because his game has the chance to be a bit more expansive than those guys.

The top of this draft is a bit weird because none of the top college guys are mind-blowing athletes. Towns is solid but not explosive and a bit awkward with his footwork, Russell is "smooth" but not a leaper or uber-quick, and Okafor is slow and mostly earth-bound.

One thing I found pretty amazing from the DraftExpress videos was just how much better Russell is against sub-.500 teams. He still puts up stats either way, but his efficiency nose-dives. Against sub-.500 teams, he shot 56% inside the arc, 50.6% from 3 and had a TS% of 67.8. Against teams over .500, that plummeted to 44%, 35.4% and 52.6% respectively. I know that guys are going to be better against bad teams, but that's a HUGE gap.

The more I watch Okafor, the more concerned I get about his D and rebounding. So many times he just stands there when the ball goes up. If you look at his rebounding, over 3.5 of his 8.7 come on the offensive end. Whoever said Brook Lopez might be right, though I think he has the potential to be far more dangerous in the post.

I think Russell is the safest to be a solid starter, but that efficiency could be an issue. I think I'd take Towns because he has the potential to be the most complete player, and he should at least be useful.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
The top of this draft is a bit weird because none of the top college guys are mind-blowing athletes. Towns is solid but not explosive and a bit awkward with his footwork, Russell is "smooth" but not a leaper or uber-quick, and Okafor is slow and mostly earth-bound.

One thing I found pretty amazing from the DraftExpress videos was just how much better Russell is against sub-.500 teams. He still puts up stats either way, but his efficiency nose-dives. Against sub-.500 teams, he shot 56% inside the arc, 50.6% from 3 and had a TS% of 67.8. Against teams over .500, that plummeted to 44%, 35.4% and 52.6% respectively. I know that guys are going to be better against bad teams, but that's a HUGE gap.

The more I watch Okafor, the more concerned I get about his D and rebounding. So many times he just stands there when the ball goes up. If you look at his rebounding, over 3.5 of his 8.7 come on the offensive end. Whoever said Brook Lopez might be right, though I think he has the potential to be far more dangerous in the post.

I think Russell is the safest to be a solid starter, but that efficiency could be an issue. I think I'd take Towns because he has the potential to be the most complete player, and he should at least be useful.

You gotta remember that Russell was the entire focus of the offense for opposing teams. Good teams literally tried to make the rest of the team beat them, and most often they did not. I think he's a really good complimentary piece on an NBA team. Passing, shooting, ball handling with a good work ethic. He's a very solid pick, but he's not a guy you build around IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)

Mudiay if healthy...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
You gotta remember that Russell was the entire focus of the offense for opposing teams. Good teams literally tried to make the rest of the team beat them, and most often they did not. I think he's a really good complimentary piece on an NBA team. Passing, shooting, ball handling with a good work ethic. He's a very solid pick, but he's not a guy you build around IMO.

I was definitely impressed with his passing this year. It will be interesting to see if teams try to use him as a PG. I see him as a guy that could average like 16-4-5, but I'm not sure you'll get much more.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
I was definitely impressed with his passing this year. It will be interesting to see if teams try to use him as a PG. I see him as a guy that could average like 16-4-5, but I'm not sure you'll get much more.

He seems to me to be Ginobilli-like in the NBA.