Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

He'd better, or he won't have a job.

and therein lies the problem. many will not accept those parameters that the org FO establish as a requirement for the job.

does anyone think many teams, outside the sox, have those prerequisite requirement for any employment agreement. to have the FO run the team on the field and the manager to relay the orders or ideas.

this is a ridiculous thought, and i am not trying to belittle anyone, but why have a manager??? just install a speaker with a direct line to the FO.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 15, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
I wanted Micah on roster.

Micah showed great promise with bat on an otherwise struggling horrible offense.

Micah was truly horrible on defense, on a team with a struggling horrible offense.

Micah now gets to go down knowing he can hack it offensively (which is much better than most of our prospects) but needs to work on footwork.

I'm pleased with that situation.

nice, really nice, fvvck it, an excellent best case scenario.

there is no reason to go into that funk, he proved he could hack it offensively.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
and therein lies the problem. many will not accept those parameters that the org FO establish as a requirement for the job.

does anyone think many teams, outside the sox, have those prerequisite requirement for any employment agreement. to have the FO run the team on the field and the manager to relay the orders or ideas.

this is a ridiculous thought, and i am not trying to belittle anyone, but why have a manager??? just install a speaker with a direct line to the FO.

I don't understand your confusion. Do you really think that the manager makes the call on who is called up or sent down and not the GM? If so, that's ridiculous. Sure the manager can give his input but it is not his call. And yes that applies to every team in the Major Leagues no matter who the manager is.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 15, 2015 -> 06:16 PM)
I don't understand your confusion. Do you really think that the manager makes the call on who is called up or sent down and not the GM? If so, that's ridiculous. Sure the manager can give his input but it is not his call. And yes that applies to every team in the Major Leagues no matter who the manager is.

you are taking 1 little snippet and embellishing it to make a point. pls reread the whole statement. jeez i would have thought i wouldn't need to explain something so simple.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
you are taking 1 little snippet and embellishing it to make a point. pls reread the whole statement. jeez i would have thought i wouldn't need to explain something so simple.

The whole point it appears you are trying to make is that the manager should make personal decisions and that is absolutely not the case for any team in baseball. The GM makes a roster, it is the manager's job to best utilize that roster. If the GM does not like the way a manager is utilizing his resources then the manager needs to shape up or ship out.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 15, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
The whole point it appears you are trying to make is that the manager should make personal decisions and that is absolutely not the case for any team in baseball. The GM makes a roster, it is the manager's job to best utilize that roster. If the GM does not like the way a manager is utilizing his resources then the manager needs to shape up or ship out.

i don't necessary agree, but that is for a later time.

the other point is the FO makes the day to day decisions, that was the discussion.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 15, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)

Your point made no sense. Chain of command. If the manager expects to have final say over his roster, he should seek another job. His job is to use the 25 men the GM gives him to the best of his abilities.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 15, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)

Exactly. His point is wrong there's no confusion about it.

the manager job is to work with the team that is given, to make the day to day decision of on the field part of baseball. the lineup and players association of the field. to make any necessary changes that will be, within the spec of his duties with regard to the day to day games.

the manager will give way to any roster changes, provide any request that will help him in performance of his duties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manager_%28baseball%29

the GM is responsible for the complete roster, any substitute changes that the team needs to play on the day to day games.

beside those duties, he is responsible for any other duties as assign by the owner or president or both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_manager_%28baseball%29

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
The whole point it appears you are trying to make is that the manager should make personal decisions and that is absolutely not the case for any team in baseball.

Anyone should be allowed to make personal decisions for themselves.

Personnel decisions is another matter entirely.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 15, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
Anyone should be allowed to make personal decisions for themselves.

Personnel decisions is another matter entirely.

and lets take it further, personal decision with in the scope of his duties to make the day to day decision regarding the team on the field.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
and lets take it further, personal decision with in the scope of his duties to make the day to day decision regarding the team on the field.

It's not the movie Moneyball though. Hahn isn't calling down to Ventura to tell him what guys to play. It is Rick's decision to send Micah Johnson to the minor leagues though. Robin can manage how he wants with the 25 given to him that particular day. It's like that in most cases around baseball.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 15, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)
It's not the movie Moneyball though. Hahn isn't calling down to Ventura to tell him what guys to play. It is Rick's decision to send Micah Johnson to the minor leagues though. Robin can manage how he wants with the 25 given to him that particular day. It's like that in most cases around baseball.

and within that scope of your statement, i 100% agree.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Look at your post. In his last 10 games going back to 5/3 he has hit .222.

That's great, but why didn't you just say that instead of posting factually incorrect information? You said "in the month of May" several times but nothing about his last 10 games until now.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ May 15, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
That's great, but why didn't you just say that instead of posting factually incorrect information? You said "in the month of May" several times but nothing about his last 10 games until now.

Sorry. His stats page showed from 5/3 till 5/13. I thought it was the Month of May but they only show a player's last 10 games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
Best of luck to Carlos. He seems like a great kid, got chance to interview him after that insane 2-game stretch a couple weeks ago - his first unassisted interview in English (he's been working to learn it). I hope he kicks some butt.

His twitter seems to be mostly about his family. Seems like a good kid.

I think this was a good move. I did feel Carlos was the more steady performer in spring training but Micah did a good job too. I think Micah will be with this team in a year or two and will stay as long as the defense improves. Gordon Becham has had a rebirth if you will and can fill in as the super utility.man and I think he enjoys that role andEmliio brings that excellent glove to the field everyday. Now if Gordon were to need to start everyday at 2B or 3B I think we would see a real solid performance, but right now that isn't needed as Carlos Sanchez gets his opportunity.

This is being really overthought.

Micah:

Showed promise

Bad defense

Great speed

Patient batter

Below average numbers

Carlos:

Has hit in limited big league time

Destroying AAA

Good defender

Will likely show better consistency with bat

Micah needs tons of reps, especially on defense. Charlotte is a good place for that. Carlos gives us better defense and likely a better bat.