Could White Sox trade some pitching to fill other areas in offseason

Whisox05

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
ok, i really didn't want to mention this, but Col does not have a 3b to replace him. even in their up and coming prospects. so why would Col trade their excellent offensive 3b????

Arenado is the Rockies next Tulo so to speak and really don't see why they would trade him. I know CO is rebuilding and in need of pitching but they could easily do an extension with Arenado and keep him in CO for years beyond their speculated rebuild window. There's nothing wrong with hope but I just cannot see it happening and I'm rather outside the box in my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong.

Call me close minded on the subject of Q but I find it difficult to believe the Sox would trade him. His numbers are very close to that of Lester for a whole lot less money.

Q- http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

Lester- http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

I wonder what Q's numbers would look like if he faced the pitcher three times per game?

All that said. I do realize the Sox will not fill all the positional holes via FA and no, I do not have an alternative solution to trading pitching for hitting. :D

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Colorado's system is actually pretty good, they're just really young and are a few years (2-3) from contributing.

I'd send Davidson, Micah, Montas, Danish, and Hawkins for Arenado and LeMehieu. If they want Anderson, I'd think about it.

There's no chance they would do that deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
As another poster mentioned, by trading Tulo, their window is now 2-3 years away from what they think they can contend because of the players they acquired for him.

They have about 5-6 of those guys that are in that time frame. One of which is 3B Ryan McMahon who is demolishing high A ball at the age of 20.

I'd send them Davidson, who will provide a stop gap until McMahon gets there, and others to get Arenado and LeMehieu

Dude, Davidson has ZERO value. In fact, I'd say it's more than a 50% chance the Sox drop him from their 40 man roster this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
If the Sox can somehow find a way to get Arenado without giving up Q or Rodon. I will dance around naked.

Sale?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
Colorado's system is actually pretty good, they're just really young and are a few years (2-3) from contributing.

I'd send Davidson, Micah, Montas, Danish, and Hawkins for Arenado and LeMehieu. If they want Anderson, I'd think about it.

The Rockies laugh at that and hangup.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Arenado is the Rockies next Tulo so to speak and really don't see why they would trade him. I know CO is rebuilding and in need of pitching but they could easily do an extension with Arenado and keep him in CO for years beyond their speculated rebuild window. There's nothing wrong with hope but I just cannot see it happening and I'm rather outside the box in my thinking. Maybe I'm wrong.

Call me close minded on the subject of Q but I find it difficult to believe the Sox would trade him. His numbers are very close to that of Lester for a whole lot less money.

I wonder what Q's numbers would look like if he faced the pitcher three times per game?

All that said. I do realize the Sox will not fill all the positional holes via FA and no, I do not have an alternative solution to trading pitching for hitting. :D

Arenado has Boras as his agent, which means an extension is incredibly unlikely. Given their current situation, the Rockies should definitely consider moving him. They'll obviously get a haul for him, although it's possible they could get more by waiting another year to see if he takes that next step. Regardless, I don't see why they would want Quintana as the central piece of their return. Maybe if he's spun off as part of a three way, but the Rockies will want a plethora of prospects, as hitting on a couple could move up their contention window.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 36m36 minutes ago Chicago, IL

Interesting side note on Trayce Thompson: His best friend and more like a third brother is Colorado standout third baseman Nolan Arenado

Tea leaves......TEA LEAVES

Damn now ya got me mildly intrigued lol!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
Arenado has Boras as his agent, which means an extension is incredibly unlikely. Given their current situation, the Rockies should definitely consider moving him. They'll obviously get a haul for him, although it's possible they could get more by waiting another year to see if he takes that next step. Regardless, I don't see why they would want Quintana as the central piece of their return. Maybe if he's spun off as part of a three way, but the Rockies will want a plethora of prospects, as hitting on a couple could move up their contention window.

Boras for an agent is a good point but if Arenado and CO decided they wanted to work on an extension, Boras would have no choice since he works for Arenado. A few other things to consider are 1) Tulo's contract is off the books and 2) the Rockies are suspected/expected to trade CarGo in the off season which opens up alot of money for CO. Enough money to buy a few FA pitchers this winter and speed up their contention window while holding onto Arenado and their prospects as well.

Don't get your hopes up Sox fans.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 02:01 AM)
Boras for an agent is a good point but if Arenado and CO decided they wanted to work on an extension, Boras would have no choice since he works for Arenado. A few other things to consider are 1) Tulo's contract is off the books and 2) the Rockies are suspected/expected to trade CarGo in the off season which opens up alot of money for CO. Enough money to buy a few FA pitchers this winter and speed up their contention window while holding onto Arenado and their prospects as well.

Don't get your hopes up Sox fans.

excellent point.

i forgot about the money saved from Tulo

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)

excellent point. if the sox wanted to help themselves... Q to an NL team .... that team might cough up prospects.

well the sox FO has a game plan. i just hope they can do it right in the off season.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
excellent point.

i forgot about the money saved from Tulo

Another financial possibility is if CO found a taker for Jose Reyes, although CO would have to send money with Reyes in a trade but it would still free up some money. He's not happy in CO, that's for sure.

Reyes-"You come from a ballclub that was competing for a spot in the playoffs. And you come to a club in last place. You think about that," Reyes said of the trade that ripped him out of Toronto.

"I'm at the point in my career that I want to win," Reyes said. "I say it over and over. I want to win. I don't want to spend the rest of my career on a last-place team. That's not the kind of player I feel like I am."

"We'll see what happens here," he said. "But in the next couple years, I don't want to waste my time like that."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-154920673.html

Problem is with his salary and recent quotes, CO will have a hard sell on him. Maybe the Yanks would take a chance?

There's potential for the Rockies to free up more money if they can get creative.

I just cannot see why CO would trade Arenado since he's young enough to build a future team around.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 03:45 AM)
Another financial possibility is if CO found a taker for Jose Reyes, although CO would have to send money with Reyes in a trade but it would still free up some money. He's not happy in CO, that's for sure.

Reyes-"You come from a ballclub that was competing for a spot in the playoffs. And you come to a club in last place. You think about that," Reyes said of the trade that ripped him out of Toronto.

"I'm at the point in my career that I want to win," Reyes said. "I say it over and over. I want to win. I don't want to spend the rest of my career on a last-place team. That's not the kind of player I feel like I am."

"We'll see what happens here," he said. "But in the next couple years, I don't want to waste my time like that."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-154920673.html

Problem is with his salary and recent quotes, CO will have a hard sell on him. Maybe the Yanks would take a chance?

There's potential for the Rockies to free up more money if they can get creative.

I just cannot see why CO would trade Arenado since he's young enough to build a future team around.

this is one of those times that when does baseball is a game and when is it a business.

it sucks for him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
excellent point. if the sox wanted to help themselves... Q to an NL team .... that team might cough up prospects.

well the sox FO has a game plan. i just hope they can do it right in the off season.

I don't know man, LDF you know my feelings on the idea of trading Q. ;) :lol:

Has anyone even bothered to check Arendo's stats away from Coors?

Home: .300/338/534 103 wRC+

Away: .253/289/431 95 wRC+

Can't hit away from Coors, and at Coors can only manage a 103 wRC+ in his career.

Kid is a great at third, no doubt (+60 DRS in three seasons), but we need more lumber.

We already have the poor mans version of this in Saladino.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 05:22 AM)
Rodon for Arenado straight up, who hangs up? Would you be happy with that?

a total win for Col.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 06:22 AM)

Can't hit away from Coors, and at Coors can only manage a 103 wRC+ in his career.

Kid is a great at third, no doubt (+60 DRS in three seasons), but we need more lumber.

that should be the end of this conversation on getting Arenado.

nice one.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 12:22 AM)

No offense, but it's pretty lazy to use career stats for a third year player. Dude has a119 wRC+ on the road this year, despite an incredibly low BABIP. He's a much better hitter than you're giving him credit for. The only thing holding him back right now from being a special hitter is his BB rate. But given that's he 24, that could improve with time. Calling him Saladino is a ridiculous comparison.

I took a look at the 2015-2016 MLB free agent list:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/2016...ree-agents.html

What's depressing to me is that I'm not sure the Sox could buy their way out of their present situation, even if they had infinite money. I'm not seeing how the Sox can cobble together an average lineup without trading off at least one of the young guns (Quintana, Sale, Rodon). Your best bet at this point is to try to jumpstart the club with a 1998 Astros/Mariners type trade (where the Mariners got Carlos Guillen and Freddy Garcia for Randy Johnson).

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
I took a look at the 2015-2016 MLB free agent list:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/2016...ree-agents.html

What's depressing to me is that I'm not sure the Sox could buy their way out of their present situation, even if they had infinite money. I'm not seeing how the Sox can cobble together an average lineup without trading off at least one of the young guns (Quintana, Sale, Rodon). Your best bet at this point is to try to jumpstart the club with a 1998 Astros/Mariners type trade (where the Mariners got Carlos Guillen and Freddy Garcia for Randy Johnson).

Agreed on this. We tried to buy fixes last season and none of them hit. A smarter organization would start moving pieces for prospects. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury and the position player drafting is mediocre.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Agreed on this. We tried to buy fixes last season and none of them hit. A smarter organization would start moving pieces for prospects. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury and the position player drafting is mediocre.

Dude just no. We have restocked the farm and flipped cores all in 2 yrs without having to lose on purpose for 5 yrs. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, being 6 games under .500 or whatever, but the Sox are in an enviable position moving forward. Hang in there.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 12:22 AM)

In 2015, his best power year, 60% of his home runs have been hit away from Coors.