Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
They've got some OF depth, so that could end up happening I suppose.

From what I see out of this team right now, they have a two year window before they potentially lose 3 starters (Frazier, Lawrie, Melky), so I guess the time is now.

The only guy we lost this offseason that could have potentially replaced one of those three after 2017 was Thompson, and that was a longshot anyway.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
Hahn was saying before he was looking at more of defensive outfielder which gordon is. Just not sold on him with him being older of the 3. Plus with him having the groin injury last year that worries about further injuries

How much would a guy like Parra help this team? I know he's not the power bat that everyone (including myself wants) but could he be a good option at 28, very good defense & a top of the order type guy?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
Hahn was saying before he was looking at more of defensive outfielder which gordon is. Just not sold on him with him being older of the 3. Plus with him having the groin injury last year that worries about further injuries

It amazes me a 32 baseball player is now considered old. If Gordon signed with the White Sox, he would be over a year younger than Carlton Fisk when he signed with the White Sox, and he caught.in fact, they tried to move Fisk to LF in 1986. When Gorson is that age, even if he signs for 5 years, that contract would be ova.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
It amazes me a 32 baseball player is now considered old. If Gordon signed with the White Sox, he would be over a year younger than Carlton Fisk when he signed with the White Sox, and he caught.

I come from more of a football mind frame, so maybe that's why I have such concerns with his age. I just worry about giving him a 4-5 year deal, especially that back half.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
It amazes me a 32 baseball player is now considered old. If Gordon signed with the White Sox, he would be over a year younger than Carlton Fisk when he signed with the White Sox, and he caught.

Carlton Fisk is not the norm you should base your personnel decisions on.

Also, greenies and steroids are no longer legal. You can't just compare eras that simply.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
Phil Rogers on ESPN1000 in a minute...I'm sure he'll try to get Robertson traded again. Ha.

Doubt he talks about sox. Since he went over to cubs land he kinda just throws crap out of his butt for sox talk. Not really trying to put much effort in.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I come from more of a football mind frame, so maybe that's why I have such concerns with his age. I just worry about giving him a 4-5 year deal, especially that back half.

He's not getting constantly hit. Some guys don't age well. He is the type IMO, athletic but not dependent on extreme speed, who should age fine. He isn't a particularly big guy, which seems to take its toll faster on the legs. I just think ultimately any top free agent you sign, you are going to have to commit a lot of money to years some would consider old.

Edited by Dick Allen

The more I think about it, the more I want Gordon over Upton & Cespedes. He's a true baseball player and I strongly believe his skillset will age better than most players his age. Add in how his left-handed bat & on-base skills will add much needed balance to the lineup, he makes the most sense if you're looking to be serious contenders in 2016 & 2017. A 5th year may end up hurting, but we don't have a ton of financial commitments in 2020, so the overall risk is low. I think it's a win if we add any of these players, but if we have a choice, I'll take Gordon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
He's not getting constantly hit. Some guys don't age well. He is the type IMO, athletic but not dependent on extreme speed, who should age fine. He isn't a particularly big guy, which seems to take its toll faster on the legs. I just think ultimately any top free agent you sign, you are going to have to commit a lot of money to years some would consider old.

Yes but he missed some time due to a groin injury last year. So does anyone know if that's a just one time thing or can start affecting him further or more leg injuries to pop up?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
There's evidence that players peak younger now and decline sooner. 28-29 are no longer the golden years. On a phone so I don't wanna link to anything right now, but I'm sure it's easily Googleable.

That is actually really depressing. I like the old way better.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Let us know what he says!

Basically just that. Moving Robertson to free money for a free agent because LaRoche is unmovable.

To me, if the Sox want to be a good team in 2016, they just need to keep adding. Right now, they aren't a playoff team.

Hopefully LaRoche bounces back to respectability, but if the Sox are 25-35 after 60 games, and he sucks, he'll be released, Ventura will be gone, and we'll put another losing White Sox season in the books.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
Phil Rogers on ESPN1000 in a minute...I'm sure he'll try to get Robertson traded again. Ha.

Nice going Nostradamus! :P

Here's Rogers' latest write-up.

"3. White Sox: Frazier and Lawrie have positioned the Sox to resume their attempts to rekindle their 2005 magic, and it's hard to see them doing that with defensive liabilities Melky Cabrera and Avisail Garcia flanking Eaton. Gordon or Cespedes (one of Abreu's close friends) would be a terrific fit if they could use the DH spot for Cabrera, but Hahn may be reluctant to give up on Adam LaRoche, who is looking like a free-agent bust. He'd have an easier time moving David Robertson than LaRoche but that could open the door to the bullpen troubles of 2014."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/160337758/ma...rs-moves-slowly

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
There's evidence that players peak younger now and decline sooner. 28-29 are no longer the golden years. On a phone so I don't wanna link to anything right now, but I'm sure it's easily Googleable.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitters-no-...k-only-decline/

For years it’s been assumed hitters will get to the major leagues and peak offensively around age 30. Teams and fans can hope the new, shiny, 20-home-run-hitting rookie will improve over time and someday will hit 30 to 40 home runs. Hitters were expected to improve until their late twenties and then begin to decline. But recent data show there’s no longer a hitting-peak age. Instead, hitters arrive at their peak and simply decline with age.

For 20 seasons, hitter production began to decline significantly around age 30. Over the past seven seasons, the decline has occurred immediately.

With wRC+, the most recent aging curve doesn’t immediately begin declining like the wOBA curve. Instead, it remains constant until it begins to decline. The decline starts at the same point when previous players began declining (between age 25 to 26 season). The curve shape is the same for pitcher aging curves: no up and down, just constant and then down. Additionally, the most recent rate of decline is almost the same as the pre-PED aging rate (82-89).

This information is important in predicting young players’ performance. Once a hitter makes it to the majors, he doesn’t really improve. In the past, people used to hope for improvement and growth as the player aged. These days, people should expect to see the player performing at his career best immediately.

A couple possible reasons may be behind the lack of improvement. First, players are more prepared for majors, physically and mentally. In the past, a player may not have had the best conditioning, coaching and training while he was in the minors. Teams are putting more resources into their minor league affiliates, and there isn’t room for improvement with the major league team. Second, teams may be better at knowing if or when a player will be MLB ready, meaning the player doesn’t have to mature and grow at a lower level. They are ready to contribute immediately

This trend of contributing right away may have been occurring before 2006. The uncontrolled use of PEDs may have masked the lack of an up and down curve. Players were improving chemically past their previous peak and were able to maintain their performance over time.

For years, pitcher performance declined as those players aged, but hitters seemed to have an up and down performance curve. In the past few seasons, hitters no longer improve once they arrive in the majors. Instead, their performance is constant until they begin to decline, which, on average, is at 26 years old. Improved training and development is probably behind the shift. If fans are hoping for a young position player’s performance to peak, they might be sorely disappointed. Chances are the player is likely producing at his career-best already.

According to this article, the new peak is 26 years old.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
You could start a poll for "the worst part of Rogers"

He really just goes with his own ideas on things, which are mostly like anyone can do on a message board. It's not based on facts or what he's been told by somebody in the organization, so there's no real point.

Moving Robertson to add Gordon (or the others) is counter-productive. At this point, we can't address all our weaknesses nor do we need to. The key is upgrading one of the OF spots with a legit two-way player and hope Melky can bounce back enough with the bat to be a overall productive player in the other corner. If he's killing you defensively come June, then adjustments can be made to allow him to DH more. But for now, keep all your major league pieces and simply add that impact OF. That move alone should put us in the playoff mix.