2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
It'll be replaced with, "it's because she's a woman and you're a sexist!"

That's silly. Obama didn't face any opposition based on him being black, and the current election cycle demonstrates no racism or sexism in America whatsoever.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
So, I don't have a problem with people being upset about these emails. Information that should have been protected went through a private email server, chosen by Clinton. She showed very poor judgment.

That said... are the same people upset about it, also people who were upset by Condi Rice doing it? And all those emails that were deleted back then?

Can't have it both ways.

Did anyone know that Rice did it at the time though (I also would have been upset to hear that, but I didn't know). And then when people did find out, did Rice delete emails? And then after that, did she make up about 5 excuses and lie to people about why she did what she did?

At some point it moved beyond the stupid mistake of having the private server and moved into an "i'm above the law/position" situation.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
We don't know anything about these latest emails, though. So far the whole "scandal" is that Huma Abedin logged into her email on her husband's computer.

I thought her entire email file, including her time working at the State Dept., was backed up on Weiner's computer? I don't think it's just a matter of logging into his computer. I think it was all saved on his computer.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
That's silly. Obama didn't face any opposition based on him being black, and the current election cycle demonstrates no racism or sexism in America whatsoever.

I don't think he did face opposition because he's black. I think he faced opposition because he's a democrat with democratic policies. She will be treated the same way and liberals will of course blame it on sexism vs. disagreement with policy/position, because God knows there's no reasonable position that can be taken that isn't a liberal one.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
I don't think he did face opposition because he's black. I think he faced opposition because he's a democrat with democratic policies. She will be treated the same way and liberals will of course blame it on sexism vs. disagreement with policy/position, because God knows there's no reasonable position that can be taken that isn't a liberal one.

Is not voting on Supreme Court justices reasonable?

That is not a liberal or conservative position.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
Is not voting on Supreme Court justices reasonable?

That is not a liberal or conservative position.

It's not and I hate that the GOP is doing it. But they're not doing it because Obama's black and they hate black people. They're doing it because he's a Democrat.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't think he did face opposition because he's black.

So what was the entire Birther movement? Why is he so frequently portrayed as Muslim? How many times did we hear about Barack HUSSEIN Obama doing something? Would any of these things happened if he was white?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
I think he faced opposition because he's a democrat with democratic policies.

Of course he did. Most of his opposition was due to being a democrat, but that doesn't mean all of it was.

Hasn't Donald Trump's rise taught us anything? This guy isn't conservative. He doesn't promote most traditional Republican positions. He didn't gain a following through thoughtful policy positions. Racial resentment is YUGE.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
It's not and I hate that the GOP is doing it. But they're not doing it because Obama's black and they hate black people. They're doing it because he's a Democrat.

It's funny, when you replace "Obama" with regular black people, this is pretty much verbatim the NC GOP's justification for their vote suppression tactics.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Did anyone know that Rice did it at the time though (I also would have been upset to hear that, but I didn't know). And then when people did find out, did Rice delete emails? And then after that, did she make up about 5 excuses and lie to people about why she did what she did?

At some point it moved beyond the stupid mistake of having the private server and moved into an "i'm above the law/position" situation.

I'm not sure Rice did use a private server, Powell did. And the RNC server that did not properly preserve 22 million emails and was deleted was I believe pre Rice or would not have been a specifically state dept issue.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 07:29 AM)
I was referring to this thread specifically.

Yes it is. All the Trump voters I know are doing it because of Hillary, and that includes females. They don't even like Trump.

Majority of republicans stated that Trump best stated the values of the republican party over Paul Ryan.

The soxtalk idea that nobody supports trump is false. He has a huge number of support, including the backing of the republican leadership.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
It's funny, when you replace "Obama" with regular black people, this is pretty much verbatim the NC GOP's justification for their vote suppression tactics.

The way you guys throw around the term racism though it literally means anything that results in a negative outcome for a minority. Derrick Rose got traded? GarPax are racist. Obama can't get a SC justice confirmed? Racist. Lester Holt was interrupted by two rich white people? Clearly racist.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
The way you guys throw around the term racism though it literally means anything that results in a negative outcome for a minority. Derrick Rose got traded? GarPax are racist. Obama can't get a SC justice confirmed? Racist. Lester Holt was interrupted by two rich white people? Clearly racist.

The example he used involved (NC Republican voter suppression) involved the specific targeting of black people for negative outcomes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Yeah but you can't deny my complaint. You guys blast a lot of people like Limbaugh out of pocket and I get reamed when I blast Hillary without links, etc. Limbaugh, Meghan McCain, Herman Cain, some of the people I link to ... they immediately get dismissed as kooks or horrible people. Then when I blasted Hillary on occasion without proof I got told to cut it out. I even got told to quit putting negative Hillary stuff in the Democrat thread. Why is Limbaugh so bad a source? He's rich. He has a zillion listeners like Stern.

Greg, one side of your mouth is saying he's smart and has listeners and knows what he is talking about and then, on the other side of his mouth, you talk about his schtick.

Which is it? Is he a smart, politically savvy commentator? Or is he a guy who does bits? Because you can't truly be both. See Springer, Jerry.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
The example he used involved (NC Republican voter suppression) involved the specific targeting of black people for negative outcomes.

Sure, and that had discriminatory intent, I agree (i'm not saying discriminatory results don't sometimes come from actual racist beliefs). But the vast majority of the time that people screamed racism with Obama, it had nothing to do with race. Even the birther crap was more about his religion and secret want to destroy America via terrorism (clearly nonsense), not that he was black.

Will someone undoubtedly say something sexist about Clinton? Sure. Does that mean that when the Republican-controlled Congress doesn't want to work with her they're doing that because she's a woman? No. If she fails to get her policies enacted is it because of sexism? No. Will people still play that card? Yes.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Sure, and that had discriminatory intent, I agree (i'm not saying discriminatory results don't sometimes come from actual racist beliefs). But the vast majority of the time that people screamed racism with Obama, it had nothing to do with race. Even the birther crap was more about his religion and secret want to destroy America via terrorism (clearly nonsense), not that he was black.

Birtherism was primarily about Obama being a foreigner from Kenya and that was centered around his race. And no one would have called him a secret Muslim if he was white.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
Will someone undoubtedly say something sexist about Clinton? Sure. Does that mean that when the Republican-controlled Congress doesn't want to work with her they're doing that because she's a woman? No. If she fails to get her policies enacted is it because of sexism? No. Will people still play that card? Yes.

This is probably mostly true. I'd expect to see a fair amount of "See? Women can't lead" rhetoric out there though.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)

False! In said trade they acquired the son of a Cuban immigrant, a Spaniard, and a black guy.

:P

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)

In some ways I agree with you: I remember driving around the south when I was a kid and random talk radio would come on talking about how Clinton was the antichrist and a threat to all Christians.

So yeah, republicans since Nixon have lost their minds any time a democrat has taken office. They throw anything that sticks on them. But it matters that many on right felt comfortable throwing racism at the president and weren't rebuked.

It further aligned the minorities to democrats and set up the republican candidate as symbol of preserving whiteness. I'm not so sure Trump becomes nominee if Obama was not pres instead of John Edwards or whomever white male could have won.

They accept anything thrown at democrats that excites their base. And their open entertaining (gingrich in 12 with food stamp pres, etc) made that racism the point. The democrats weren't just hippy dippy liberals out to force all churches out and make you worship gov't anymore, it evolved to being the threat to the white male id.

Is every bit of obstruction attributed to racism? No, but that they refused to deal with him accelerated something that made preserving whiteness priority 1a) for the republican base.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Greg, one side of your mouth is saying he's smart and has listeners and knows what he is talking about and then, on the other side of his mouth, you talk about his schtick.

Which is it? Is he a smart, politically savvy commentator? Or is he a guy who does bits? Because you can't truly be both. See Springer, Jerry.

Well, he can't be smart and still do bits and/or have a schtick? I think Howard Stern is a genius and he does bits. If I have to pick one, yes, Rush is an entertainer more than an intellectual. If you are not interesting to the audience you have no show to begin with.

It's funny how this all works, though. Here you definitely have a media bias toward Hillary and the left. The media definitely overall leans toward liberals and Democrats. Yet Rush, who makes a living hating on Democrats, has a show on mega stations. Doesn't that drive the owners of the radio station crazy? Yet they purchase Rush's show because he has such good ratings.

His programs still successfully sell advertising blocks. His supporters loyally buy or boycott products. In the end, 90+% is about economics and return on investment. Doesn't matter if it's the Kardashians or Real Housewives of .... and completely devoid of any social function other than pure entertainment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/reports-detail-t...-190230912.html

Equally impossible to not have an investigation about foreign (Russian) interference/coordination with campaigns if Trump somehow wins and Comey stays on as FBI director.

The country's pretty much equally screwed either way, now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Well, he can't be smart and still do bits and/or have a schtick? I think Howard Stern is a genius and he does bits. If I have to pick one, yes, Rush is an entertainer more than an intellectual. If you are not interesting to the audience you have no show to begin with.

It's funny how this all works, though. Here you definitely have a media bias toward Hillary and the left. The media definitely overall leans toward liberals and Democrats. Yet Rush, who makes a living hating on Democrats, has a show on mega stations. Doesn't that drive the owners of the radio station crazy? Yet they purchase Rush's show because he has such good ratings.

Howard stern is nothing like Rush, zero. You are grasping at nothing while making yourself look worse. Just stop.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
I'm not sure Rice did use a private server, Powell did. And the RNC server that did not properly preserve 22 million emails and was deleted was I believe pre Rice or would not have been a specifically state dept issue.

I'm more shocked at the fact that people are judging this topic without actually knowing what it takes to set up an email server in your home. Literally 99% of people who are mad about this have no idea what a server actually is.