White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
I am sorry, but coming from you, this is ridiculous. You complain about one topic and you're known on this site for what has become a shtick. If you don't think the Sox have a fickle fan base I don't know what to tell you. Certainly there's a lot of great fans of this team, but as a whole, the fanbase is weak.

with all due respect, i like your counter but i need to reply or add something.

the fan base is weak and will always be weak in chi. esp with the success of the northside. team. look at the WS yr and the yr after, the fan base, the fans in the seat of the team, the sox still came in second.

the success of the northside, notwithstanding, the sox needs to invest to get that white, pink, what ever color elephant out of the picture. then can not let that team gain anymore media attention while producing negative attention of being frugal, being inept, or being out class.

the sox has a mountain to climb, to fix this team and the infrastructure.....

Edited by LDF

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew two seasons ago, that's pretty much it.

To the previous poster, Jackson doesn't have a pick attached. It's Gallardo that does.

Both of whom has HORRIFIC seasons.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
with all due respect, i like your counter but i need to reply or add something.

the fan base is weak and will always be weak in chi. esp with the success of the northside. team. look at the WS yr and the yr after, the fan base, the fans in the seat of the team, the sox still came in second.

the success of the northside, notwithstanding, the sox needs to invest to get that white, pink, what ever color elephant out of the picture. then can not let that team gain anymore media attention while producing negative attention of being frugal, being inept, or being out class.

the sox has a mountain to climb, to fix this team and the infrastructure.....

Are you honestly trying to say that even after the Sox won the WS the fans didn't come to the park? That is just flat out wrong. The Sox had the third highest attendance in the AL in '06 and were outdrawn by the Cubs by just 1900 fans a game.

I don't think we're a terrible fan base. I think that we've been burned. Whether, before really my time of following, threatened to move team. To one of the most unappealing (to the eye) stadiums (functionality aside). To never really being a player in the FA market. Abreu at $68mm is our top signing ... I mean ...

You take those things into consideration and I call us a fan base that gives back what is given to us.

You expect me to buy 14 or 28 game plan?? I think not.

a) I went on this morning to explore it -- and they are telling me the best seats available start at Section 147 on the 3B side. I know very well that there are a ton of seats from dugout to dugout. I've had season tickets before, they keep them blocked off for possible FULL season buyers. Plus, 6% or 12% discounts on prices when you buy 28 games? Screw that.

You know where else I can get that discount? Scalping, when they offer the Ballpark Pass again and I just sneak down to the lower concourse ..., from company tickets for free, from discount codes for every game, etc. There is absolutely no incentive to buy partial or full season tickets to this team. Again, I've done it in the past for 3-4 seasons - and been burned money wise each year.

Open up good seats for me, with incentive and I'd buy. But when your best incentive is opportunity to buy Playoff tix? First you have to make the playoffs ..... and then everybody knows, if doing well, the Sox will allow you to buy in July/August and still get that incentive. Dumb.

Marketing folks are terrible.

I'm a diehard, but I'm also smart. No reason to piss money on this product. I'll walk up and scalp or buy tix last minute via stubhub or craigslist.

Rant over.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Are you honestly trying to say that even after the Sox won the WS the fans didn't come to the park? That is just flat out wrong. The Sox had the third highest attendance in the AL in '06 and were outdrawn by the Cubs by just 1900 fans a game.

if i remember correctly, some other poster showed the season attendance of the sox and that team from the north.

the 2005 was ok. the 2006 the sox attendance was in the neighborhook of close to 2.8 mil. i think.

but that team brought in over 3.0 mil.

now that is what i am saying, if i am proven wrong, they i will not run away to avoid that mistake, i will admit it. but someone needs to provide the link.

i am at work.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
KC also outearned the White Sox based on the 2014, and for sure will again on the 2015 season.

A whole $4 million more in revenue in 2015. Despite back to back playoff runs. A team from Kansas City outspends a team from Chicago, that's lunacy.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
I don't think we're a terrible fan base. I think that we've been burned. Whether, before really my time of following, threatened to move team. To one of the most unappealing (to the eye) stadiums (functionality aside). To never really being a player in the FA market. Abreu at $68mm is our top signing ... I mean ...

You take those things into consideration and I call us a fan base that gives back what is given to us.

You expect me to buy 14 or 28 game plan?? I think not.

a) I went on this morning to explore it -- and they are telling me the best seats available start at Section 147 on the 3B side. I know very well that there are a ton of seats from dugout to dugout. I've had season tickets before, they keep them blocked off for possible FULL season buyers. Plus, 6% or 12% discounts on prices when you buy 28 games? Screw that.

You know where else I can get that discount? Scalping, when they offer the Ballpark Pass again and I just sneak down to the lower concourse ..., from company tickets for free, from discount codes for every game, etc. There is absolutely no incentive to buy partial or full season tickets to this team. Again, I've done it in the past for 3-4 seasons - and been burned money wise each year.

Open up good seats for me, with incentive and I'd buy. But when your best incentive is opportunity to buy Playoff tix? First you have to make the playoffs ..... and then everybody knows, if doing well, the Sox will allow you to buy in July/August and still get that incentive. Dumb.

Marketing folks are terrible.

I'm a diehard, but I'm also smart. No reason to piss money on this product. I'll walk up and scalp or buy tix last minute via stubhub or craigslist.

Rant over.

you make a lot of good points, but the fan base for the sox will always take 2nd place. i am saying, do not compete, just make that product on the field better.

this org had the opportunity to take over chi, in the 90's and even after the WS. but well, there will always be a differing of opinion why the sox failed. i will leave it at that.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
A whole $4 million more in revenue in 2015. Despite back to back playoff runs. A team from Kansas City outspends a team from Chicago, that's lunacy.

Those numbers only include their first playoff run. Their second one will be reflected in the numbers that come out in a month or so.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
The funny thing is most of us thought it was a pretty good roster last year. But right now on paper, it is much improved. Hopefully they get improved performance out of some guys as well. If things break right, it could be a really stacked team.

Obviously they want a fast start. If anything, that is more motivation to bring in more before the season begins. I am really looking forward to this season. I was disappointed they didn't get Upton or Gordon or Cespedes, but reality says upgrades are still available.

Couldn't agree more. I was one of those fans that liked every move the FO made last year with the exception of the Samardzija trade and that was only because he was a one year rental. I've gotten over it, moved on and consider that trade as one of those things that just didn't work out. Such is life.

As others have said, LaRoche can't possibly get any worse than he was last year so any improvements from him will help. I believe Melky will be a more consistent player and consider his first half of '15 as more of an outlier. Overall, the IF is improved on defense and especially on offense with the addition of Frazier and to a lesser extent Lawrie. As of right now, the team is much more of a power threat than it was just one year ago.

Hopefully Hahn adds another OF bat so that Avi can platoon with LaRoche and maybe begin playing some LF against LHP when LaRoche is on the bench and hopefully Melky is in the DH spot. Who knows, maybe Avi is better suited for LF.

It's just beyond me how anyone can complain when looking at the players the Sox have added and subtracted. Imo, the subtractions are equally as important as the additions and could very well make a huge difference in the brand of baseball we see on the South side this year in comparison to last year. I'm seriously excited to see what the Sox do this year. Hopefully, Hahn will be able to add another bat and preferably an outfielder.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't buy this logic. KC has 500,000 people and the Sox have what? 20-30% of 2.8 million people? People act like the Sox are the Bears or Bulls because they have Chicago across their chest. They have a minority share of the smallest market that has two teams.

Kansas City has been in the World Series in back to back years and they just started to outspend the Sox the last couple years.

KC Metro area has 2.4 million people. The Chicago metro area is around 8 million. If you want to say the metro area is around 1/3 Sox fans, that means their fan bases are very nearly identical.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
Couldn't agree more. I was one of those fans that liked every move the FO made last year with the exception of the Samardzija trade and that was only because he was a one year rental. I've gotten over it, moved on and consider that trade as one of those things that just didn't work out. Such is life.

As others have said, LaRoche can't possibly get any worse than he was last year so any improvements from him will help. I believe Melky will be a more consistent player and consider his first half of '15 as more of an outlier. Overall, the IF is improved on defense and especially on offense with the addition of Frazier and to a lesser extent Lawrie. As of right now, the team is much more of a power threat than it was just one year ago.

Hopefully Hahn adds another OF bat so that Avi can platoon with LaRoche and maybe begin playing some LF against LHP when LaRoche is on the bench and hopefully Melky is in the DH spot. Who knows, maybe Avi is better suited for LF.

It's just beyond me how anyone can complain when looking at the players the Sox have added and subtracted. Imo, the subtractions are equally as important as the additions and could very well make a huge difference in the brand of baseball we see on the South side this year in comparison to last year. I'm seriously excited to see what the Sox do this year. Hopefully, Hahn will be able to add another bat and preferably an outfielder.

excellent, excellent post.... and i agree. yeah i can some complaints, esp with laroche, but i can also see Avi as a platoon, esp in the beginning of the season, where laroche has started off slow .... during his career.

the sox got extremely lucky in latos, attitude aside, the fix at 2 and 3 baseball..... fantastic. . the 2 catchers... great move.

now for me, pls get the team an of'er???? :pray

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
So how about that Desmond guy?

Could cut the tension w a knife in here.

i am going to stick my neck out here.

i am happy with saladino..... as long as the sox use the resources to get an of'er.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
I am sorry, but coming from you, this is ridiculous. You complain about one topic and you're known on this site for what has become a shtick. If you don't think the Sox have a fickle fan base I don't know what to tell you. Certainly there's a lot of great fans of this team, but as a whole, the fanbase is weak.

The real "schtick" is the oft-unfair maligning of the fan base at this site. White Sox fans are not weak, they are not fickle. They are consumers just like anyone else responding to the product they've been routinely presented, which has not been very good for a long time now. And let's be very clear here. There's a difference between "blind loyalty" and "brand loyalty", the former reserved for family and friends, and the latter for when the brand is actually good. So is it fickleness or weakness of the fan base that they haven't flocked in droves to the Cell the past three years, or the fact that the product or brand on the field has been flat out horrible. Which is it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
excellent, excellent post.... and i agree. yeah i can some complaints, esp with laroche, but i can also see Avi as a platoon, esp in the beginning of the season, where laroche has started off slow .... during his career.

the sox got extremely lucky in latos, attitude aside, the fix at 2 and 3 baseball..... fantastic. . the 2 catchers... great move.

now for me, pls get the team an of'er???? :pray

With Latos, I think it's more than just luck. I believe Hahn deserves some credit for knowing Latos' market based on Latos' reputation and injury concerns so Hahn did right by waiting out the market to get a potential steal. Patience was the key in the Sox signing Latos.

Take Ian Kennedy for instance. That was a huge gamble by the Royals. If Kennedy under-performs, the Royals are screwed for the next five years.

Anyway, back to Desmond. I've been searching Google all morning long and cannot find anything new on him. It looked as though last week his market picked up and now its silent once again. That's not to say things aren't happening, just weird nothing new has surfaced since late last week. Then again, this has been a bit of a weird off season.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 05:43 PM)
With Latos, I think it's more than just luck. I believe Hahn deserves some credit for knowing Latos' market based on Latos' reputation and injury concerns so Hahn did right by waiting out the market to get a potential steal. Patience was the key in the Sox signing Latos.

Take Ian Kennedy for instance. That was a huge gamble by the Royals. If Kennedy under-performs, the Royals are screwed for the next five years.

Anyway, back to Desmond. I've been searching Google all morning long and cannot find anything new on him. It looked as though last week his market picked up and now its silent once again. That's not to say things aren't happening, just weird nothing new has surfaced since late last week. Then again, this has been a bit of a weird off season.

that is for dang sure. i remember in the latos thread, i said something like i really never want to play poker with hahn.

i think that move, more than anything else got me stoke for this season.

ref the bold, yeah i agree. make me wonder of the asking price.... with jackson, there will always be his agent as the the bump in the road for any negotiations.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
The real "schtick" is the oft-unfair maligning of the fan base at this site. White Sox fans are not weak, they are not fickle. They are consumers just like anyone else responding to the product they've been routinely presented, which has not been very good for a long time now. And let's be very clear here. There's a difference between "blind loyalty" and "brand loyalty", the former reserved for family and friends, and the latter for when the brand is actually good. So is it fickleness or weakness of the fan base that they haven't flocked in droves to the Cell the past three years, or the fact that the product or brand on the field has been flat out horrible. Which is it.

dead-horse.gif

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
that is for dang sure. i remember in the latos thread, i said something like i really never want to play poker with hahn.

i think that move, more than anything else got me stoke for this season.

ref the bold, yeah i agree. make me wonder of the asking price.... with jackson, there will always be his agent as the the bump in the road for any negotiations.

With the caliper of player that Jackson is, I don't think Boras is as big of a factor as he would be with higher caliper players. Not taking anything away from Jackson but overall, he's not an elite player so Boras can only do so much for Jackson. It's not like Hahn hasn't had dealings in the past with Boras so the possibility of signing Jackson does exist and especially since Jackson has such a small amount of interested teams to choose from. I think it's possible that Hahn is waiting out the market for Jackson like he did with Latos. Time will tell.

I know the Sox are reportedly seeking a LH OF bat but I'm hoping the Sox are able to snatch Jackson up. His defense in CF would be a huge boost.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
With the caliper of player that Jackson is, I don't think Boras is as big of a factor as he would be with higher caliper players. Not taking anything away from Jackson but overall, he's not an elite player so Boras can only do so much for Jackson. It's not like Hahn hasn't had dealings in the past with Boras so the possibility of signing Jackson does exist and especially since Jackson has such a small amount of interested teams to choose from. I think it's possible that Hahn is waiting out the market for Jackson like he did with Latos. Time will tell.

I know the Sox are reportedly seeking a LH OF bat but I'm hoping the Sox are able to snatch Jackson up. His defense in CF would be a huge boost.

excellent pov.

this is driving me crazy, over on sat opinion of a poster, the sox may look in trading, i looked and looked, the sox really don't have the assets to make that trade with out really hurting the farm. anderson, fulmer, adaoms.....

so it is the fa's i think , so who will not cost much, jackson, if hahn is again stalling, and ????

now i started to look for contracts that needed to be move.

kemp, bruce. either, and that yank cf'er.... i can;t think of his name and i am too lazy right now to look it up. sorry.

options and options. i love it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)

dang, i forgot about that.... ref the bold. i was looking at him since the beginning of the off season as well as 2 team players.