OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
First, Carl Crawford =/= Jim Thome.

Second, what's this half price stuff? Are the Red Sox paying a big piece of Crawford's salary and I'm not aware of it?

Even if that's the case I'd still rather have Ethier by a mile. He has a massive edge in durability and OBP.

Dodgers and their massive wallet would dump him.. but I too would rather have Ethier since he can play RF and.. you know.. hit

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
The 13 year old boy inside of me hopes LJ Hoes is claimed by the White Sox just so I can giggle at headlines like

"Sox claim Hoes"

"Sox invite Hoes to spring training"

"Sox need Hoes to step up game"

The 28 year old me wants them to claim him for the same reason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
The 13 year old boy inside of me hopes LJ Hoes is claimed by the White Sox just so I can giggle at headlines like

"Sox claim Hoes"

"Sox invite Hoes to spring training"

"Sox need Hoes to step up game"

QFT.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
What would Reddick cost?! Read a tweet from Fox Sports saying A's might trade him

http://www.csnbayarea.com/athletics/notes-...ension-possible

Could be posturing to increase his trade value, anything's possible with Beane.

One would guess it starts with Adams OR Danish/Guerrero and Hawkins, something like that.

If you go with a one year remaining on a player you trade for, let's just hope the results are better than Shark because you're really emptying out the farm system then.

I'm not sure Hahn wants to have all the pressure on himself and Ventura to win THIS year...because trading for a Reddick almost forces you to show results ASAP.

Of course Hahn can't blame JR for not being able to acquire Gordon and Cespedes, but he absolutely has to do something with the season prospects partially resting on the shoulders of Saladino, Garcia, LaRoche and Erik Johnson.

You can find other teams with similar issues, but they have either the current depth or the financial resources to recover from setbacks more easily. With Saladino, you could probably "survive" with Sanchez out there for a couple of months at SS, but it would be far from ideal. The other three, as things stand right now, there aren't logical replacements that are going to be ready the first half of the season.

Josh Reddick of the Oakland Athletics is set to become a free agent after the 2016 MLB season, but the 28-year-old outfielder is open to negotiating a contract extension. John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group tweeted on Sunday that Reddick wants a multi-year deal and is willing to listen to the Athletics.

However, Beane told Gammons Daily back in October that they will not shop two of their stars this offseason.

"Trading Gray is not something I think we could do. We have to put a representative product on the field and continue to dream we get a ballpark. I just cannot see us trading Gray or Josh Reddick," Beane said.

"Josh is a good player and he's still young, We've always liked having him here. Talented guy, does everything well. We're all very pleased with the year Josh had," the team president added via the SF Chronicle.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/111051/2...d-athletics.htm

Sounds like Oakland and Reddick are on the same page.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
LJ Hoes?

Eduardo A. Encina Verified account ‏@EddieInTheYard 6m6 minutes ago

#Orioles have acquired OF Efren Navarro from #Angels for cash considerations, designated OF L.J. Hoes to make 40-man roster space.

114 wRC+ with Houston AAA last season. 25 years old.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
No one outside of the White Sox holds value in Johnson because he's not a sure thing to be a major leaguer. No one will roll dice in on him unless the ask is a bag of balls. We need him to be successful so we bias towards him being the pitcher he was last year, and not the one who nearly washed out. Everyone else just sees risk.

How are you so sure that everyone just sees risk in EJ ? In sports it's always "what have you done for me lately " ? His 2015 was pretty good. Great season in the minors and not overwhelmed once brought up.

His struggles and what he did to overcome them from last year are well documented thanks to Tom Verducci.

With the cost of starting pitching going through the roof I think it's safe to say Ej has plenty of value as a ML ready 4th or 5th starter. There is built in risk for many 5th starter types .

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Speaking of outfielders, Jermaine Dye and Magglio Ordonez both turn 42 today. If you're older than them, you're old, but if you're younger than them, you're young. That's what I tell my wife.

I'm not sure whether I'd rather have them right now as the RF or Avi...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
If you go with a one year remaining on a player you trade for, let's just hope the results are better than Shark because you're really emptying out the farm system then.

I'm not sure Hahn wants to have all the pressure on himself and Ventura to win THIS year...because trading for a Reddick almost forces you to show results ASAP.

Of course Hahn can't blame JR for not being able to acquire Gordon and Cespedes, but he absolutely has to do something with the season prospects partially resting on the shoulders of Saladino, Garcia, LaRoche and Erik Johnson.

You can find other teams with similar issues, but they have either the current depth or the financial resources to recover from setbacks more easily. With Saladino, you could probably "survive" with Sanchez out there for a couple of months at SS, but it would be far from ideal. The other three, as things stand right now, there aren't logical replacements that are going to be ready the first half of the season.

I hope RH is able to put something together soon. My excitement was high after the Lawrie and Frazier acquisitions. I know we have time before ST and the regular season begins but, I'd like to see some additions to make this team more competitive. I just hope the FO isn't thinking that Avi is the answer in RF.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 28, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Speaking of outfielders, Jermaine Dye and Magglio Ordonez both turn 42 today. If you're older than them, you're old, but if you're younger than them, you're young. That's what I tell my wife.

Damn, I'm old! :P

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd honestly rather have Carl Crawford at half price and Desmond than pay Ethier AND give up talent to boot.

Crawford would have to morph into more of a power guy like Tim Raines later in his career. It could work at USCF.

It worked well with Thome, just not sure how much LA is willing to eat.

In terms of risk, it's still fairly significant even at half off discount...ala Ryan Braun or Jay Bruce.

At least Harrelson and KW would be elated for awhile.

Crawford, no thanks; regardless of the $$ difference he seems to be injured more often than not and hasn't played 130 games since 2011, has zero power and his main asset of speed is hardly a threat anymore. Ethier wouldn't take prospects of any real quality imo, Dodgers are up against it with his 10/5 rights kicking in shortly.

I'd rather bring in Braun than Crawford. But Ethier would be the easiest to get I would think...

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this in an effort to spare the Desmond thread.

Hahn has made it clear the Sox are looking for another bat and likely an outfield bat. Since the last post in this thread it sounds as though the Sox have moved on or couldn't work something out for outfielders such as Fowler, Puig and Ethier. Doesn't sound like Gardner is leaving the Yanks and nobody would be crazy enough to take on Ellsbury's contract so I think we can safely eliminate them. Kemp is a DH in need of an AL team with an open DH spot and it looks like those spots are filled. I like the idea of Markakis' bat in the 2 hole but from what I've been reading his arm and range has dropped off, and the Braves can keep Swisher and Bourn. Desmond Jennings and his bum knee scares me after some time to think about it.

I'm still very curious as to what the Astros are going to do with their plethora of outfielders. Wouldn't mind trying to get one of Tucker, Marisnick or Aplin, though Tucker likely costs more than the Sox are willing to give up and its possible Marisnick is more valuable to Houston ( they love his D) than he would be to the Sox in a trade which leaves Aplin, who the Astros have no room for.

I'm still all for the Austin Jackson idea and remain hopeful.

Just trying to think of more options that could be available via trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
Thought I would bump this in an effort to spare the Desmond thread.

Hahn has made it clear the Sox are looking for another bat and likely an outfield bat. Since the last post in this thread it sounds as though the Sox have moved on or couldn't work something out for outfielders such as Fowler, Puig and Ethier. Doesn't sound like Gardner is leaving the Yanks and nobody would be crazy enough to take on Ellsbury's contract so I think we can safely eliminate them. Kemp is a DH in need of an AL team with an open DH spot and it looks like those spots are filled. I like the idea of Markakis' bat in the 2 hole but from what I've been reading his arm and range has dropped off, and the Braves can keep Swisher and Bourn. Desmond Jennings and his bum knee scares me after some time to think about it.

I'm still very curious as to what the Astros are going to do with their plethora of outfielders. Wouldn't mind trying to get one of Tucker, Marisnick or Aplin, though Tucker likely costs more than the Sox are willing to give up and its possible Marisnick is more valuable to Houston ( they love his D) than he would be to the Sox in a trade which leaves Aplin, who the Astros have no room for.

I'm still all for the Austin Jackson idea and remain hopeful.

Just trying to think of more options that could be available via trade.

a really nice breakdown. great post.

i wonder if the trade, that was thought of, could it be a possible maybe idea. i am still trying to imagine what the sox have, in assets to make the trade.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 04:29 PM)
a really nice breakdown. great post.

i wonder if the trade, that was thought of, could it be a possible maybe idea. i am still trying to imagine what the sox have, in assets to make the trade.

They have some bullpen depth, low minor league depth and players like Avi and Sanchez that can be used as parts of a bigger package. Early in the off season, it was rumored the Sox were willing to trade Erik Johnson. Not sure if there's any truth to that or if it's a good idea but he could potentially be dealt. I know the players I named aren't worth much but they would be of more use to a team looking for depth now instead of a few years from now.

For some reason I keep coming back to Andrew Aplin. LHB, decent BA, good OBP, some speed and good defense. Probably could be had for a bullpen arm. I think it's this type of player the Sox could end up with. The un-proven type with some upside to throw into the Sox outfield mix.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 15, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
any ideas of that cuban player who plays the OF. is he still a FA of sorts, his name is Guillermo Heredia. any info on his tryout results???

I know nothing about him. I couldn't find any recent information on him either. Found some stuff from June of last year talking about how he is a free agent but nothing since. I looked him up on BR and he hasn't played since 2013, well, he did have 1 AB in 2014. I'm serious.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=heredi001gui

:o

I do know that Yadiel Hernandez's workout is coming up on the 23rd. Regardless of what the Sox might do between now and then, I hope the Sox make a serious run at him. His small strike zone and good batting eye should help his transition to MLB.

Edited by BlackSox13