NCAA basketball thread 2016-17

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
So Tilmon signed with someone, but it's not public, and he is announcing tomorrow? What a sh*t show.

So Groce knows either way but can't say anything. This would be worse than Cliff and the hat.

If it was someone other than Illinois it would be public by now I'm pretty sure. Not worried.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
What I take from this, Illinois must have raised their bid?

No idea on that, but from reports when Groce met with Tilmon in person earlier this week it made all the difference.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 11:41 PM)
The Tilmon signing removes Groce from the hot seat at this point. If he blows this, he's done in 2019.

He should be fired if they don't make the tournament. No recruit is more important than the coach in place

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
He should be fired if they don't make the tournament. No recruit is more important than the coach in place

You're used to being wrong. A top 10 class is enough excitement to sustain a program for one year. The effects of firing Groce after this season would be catastrophic.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Agreed.

Don't encourage him.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
Ga Tech was in a similar spot with Paul Hewitt a while back and kept him around because he got Favors. It set the program back big time waiting a few more years.

Derrick Favors>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tilmon

Tilmon is great don't get me wrong. But he's not like a Ben Simmons esque program changer. Closer to 25th in the country than 1. The 2018 team probably isn't even better than the team we're running out now. No way we keep Groce if he misses the tournament.

This class as it stands will probably be about 12-15th best in the country. That's not even better than what Weber was getting us in his last years. Groce has lowered expectations for this program that it almost seems to be helping him.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)
Derrick Favors>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tilmon

Tilmon is great don't get me wrong. But he's not like a Ben Simmons esque program changer. Closer to 25th in the country than 1. The 2018 team probably isn't even better than the team we're running out now. No way we keep Groce if he misses the tournament.

This class as it stands will probably be about 12-15th best in the country. That's not even better than what Weber was getting us in his last years. Groce has lowered expectations for this program that it almost seems to be helping him.

Class ranked at #8 a couple of places I saw.

Edited by Soxfest