Internal alternatives to Avisail Garcia

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
He's not going anywhere. Let's bring up Robin replacements. That's another dead horse that could use a few more whacks.

White Sox are in first place. How JR, KW and RH don't see massive changes need to take place at this point is hard to believe.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
He's had 28 plate appearances. Let's give him a little more time. His BABIP is an entirely unsustainable .167. If it were the .320 mark he hit last year he would have a .280 batting average right now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So far this year, albeit a small sample size, his FB% is up, his pull % is up, BB rate is up, K rate is down, pitches per plate appearance is up and his contact rate is up. All positive signs. Let's at least give him a few weeks before we try to magically save our season by calling up the likes of Travis Ishikawa or Jason Coats.

For the record, I did say in the article that this wasn't saying it was decision time - but that in a month or two it could be. So this was more a table-setting article.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
There isn't an upgrade internally... so sit back relax and strap it down folks.

I'd contend there are two or three guys that are upgrades, but that's because I don't think Garcia has improved or will improve demonstrably. I could be wrong, which, would be fantastic in this case. None of the upgrades are huge of course.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
White Sox are in first place. How JR, KW and RH don't see massive changes need to take place at this point is hard to believe.

b/c the sox are in first place and the owners don't see a need, btw, it will take $$$ away from them

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
b/c the sox are in first place and the owners don't see a need, btw, it will take $$$ away from them

How sports-savvy is JR? That is, how involved is he in the high-level decision-making process (as opposed to just the check-writing process)? Does he simply implicitly trust his guys (RH,KW) or is he also an idea-guy, ala Jerry Jones?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
That's fine, but the 2 catchers, 2B, LF and SS aren't hitting either.

Now I realize the clear distinction between Avi and the players at those positions. But at some point, this goes beyond making dugout life pleasant for cooper and ventura.

you bring up a very good point, however, the catching position thru out the league is really not in good shape. so trying to find a catcher who can play defense, let alone hit, is a rarity.

but this is the DH we are talking about and the possibility of picking up a competent DH in the offseason to platoon. this could have been the excuse to use, and in case of avi failure, have him play full time.

QUOTE (skooch @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
How sports-savvy is JR? That is, how involved is he in the high-level decision-making process (as opposed to just the check-writing process)? Does he simply implicitly trust his guys (RH,KW) or is he also an idea-guy, ala Jerry Jones?

i will answer this with plain and simple hearsay. he makes the final decisions on everything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Out of curiosity, when was the last big trade made during the second week of April in MLB?

Go to http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/tra...date=2016-04-12, cycle through days and ctrl+F for "trade" to find historical trades by calendar day. Don't have time to search the whole month or anything, but the first couple of days haven't exactly revealed any league-altering moves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
Out of curiosity, when was the last big trade made during the second week of April in MLB?

and what logic are you using to ask this question.

considering we or i was talking of making that extra acquisition to help the team...

those parameters are usually for the offseason movements.

as i also mention, the sox are screwed, the sox have no choice to wait it out.

btw, why didn't you ask whomever created the thread, since it was their idea, not mine.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
and what logic are you using to ask this question.

considering we or i was talking of making that extra acquisition to help the team...

those parameters are usually for the offseason movements.

as i also mention, the sox are screwed, the sox have no choice to wait it out.

btw, why didn't you ask whomever created the thread, since it was their idea, not mine.

Yes, I am using logic. You posted the reason why the Sox aren't making any moves is because ownership doesn't want to spend money. I am attempting to show that no teams make big moves this early in the season.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
There's no Ishikawa "love." But look up their lefty/righty splits.

i don't know if its a love per se, but what the sox have on hand to be used. meaning what internal options.

i just hope things gets better,

as someone said, it will take a month of so to figure things out.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
i don't know if its a love per se, but what the sox have on hand to be used. meaning what internal options.

i just hope things gets better,

as someone said, it will take a month of so to figure things out.

The team is 5-2 and in first place. Why do you hope things get better? When people were booing Danks at the home opener the Cleveland broadcast crew said something along the lines of from the sounds of it, you would think the White Sox are 11 games back. Why can't White Sox fans enjoy 5-2? Avi has had a slow start and he probably isn't any good, but he is better than a .160 hitter with a .530 OPS. It would be shocking if Jose Abreu doesn't have a 7 game stretch where he puts up a .530 OPS or less. It happens.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
page 1

What does this mean? Are you pointing out that you would prefer Coats? That's fine, but you asked why the Ishikawa love and I answered that his limited appeal is he hits RHP better than our alternatives.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
The team is 5-2 and in first place. Why do you hope things get better? When people were booing Danks at the home opener the Cleveland broadcast crew said something along the lines of from the sounds of it, you would think the White Sox are 11 games back. Why can't White Sox fans enjoy 5-2?

thing can always get better, like a 10 - game unbeaten streak. :lol:

but seriously, i really can't speak for other fans or what they are thinking. i am wanting to concentrate on the good stuff this team can do.

i just wish the owners would have gotten another hitter and another sp.

same old pet peeve i am spouting.