Is Avi Putting It Together?

Dunt

I hope it's real, but Avi has been hot before. He hit .349 his first 23 games with the White Sox. Last year on May 17, his splits were .346/.380/.492.

He is ripping the ball right now, but has gone on insane hot streaks before. He has a lot of talent. Even his biggest critics will admit that. But it still is wait and see, but at least enjoy it while he is locked in.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
That's true. It's been incredible. Nothing cheap, just shots.He was hitting about .130 a couple of weeks and a hamstring injury ago.

I may be wrong but when Avi would get hot it was mostly oppo shots. I would look it up if I knew how.

Now he rakes it to all parts of the field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
I hope it's real, but Avi has been hot before. He hit .349 his first 23 games with the White Sox. Last year on May 17, his splits were .346/.380/.492.

He is ripping the ball right now, but has gone on insane hot streaks before. He has a lot of talent. Even his biggest critics will admit that. But it still is wait and see, but at least enjoy it while he is locked in.

The key to me is the difference between his BA and his OBP. Looking at his splits now the difference between his BA and OBP is much wider. Over the last 28 days he is .317/.389.

He is seeing more pitches, and hitting better quality pitches. To me that makes a streak more sustainable in the long run, because he isn't chasing as many pitchers pitches. If he stays patient, the sky is the limit. Take your walks, take balls.

i really get bummed seeing everyone up and down on Avi on this message board. and understandably so. but i've ALWAYS said that he is still YOUNG.

i think critics are way to quick to just toss him aside because of his performance. he's taken the criticism as good as i could have hoped. he's made some very good progress at the plate this season and i hope he continues to hit the ball hard. like another poster said, as long as he's not swinging at those horrible pitches he gives himself a good chance at getting his ball to hit.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Avi has always been mental, I don't think anyone thought otherwise.

Yep. He has taken awhile to get going. One of the differences I see now is that he is driving the ball to all fields, so he is not trying to pull outside pitches and he is turning on inside pitches. His swing and approach are much more confident than I've seen in previous seasons. I think we fans tend to underestimate what missing most of 2014 did to hinder his development. If he sustains consistency, I eventually would like to see Melky bat #2 and Avi bat #5. If he maintains his power stroke and high OBP, I think #5 is his natural spot in the lineup on this team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)

He was a machine last year early (first two months he had good production as you've highlighted). The tools are clearly there from an offensive perspective. The real question is can he consistently swing at the right pitches. Guys have made adjustments in there careers and taken off. I always said I liked Avi in a platoon role this year where he still got some chance to get AB's (because while I certainly didn't want to give him a starting job, I wasn't ready to just sit him either given his tools, which I think are pretty legit from an offensive perspective) and really another opportunity to potential create more playing time for himself. The LaRoche situation clearly pushed him into more playing time, but thankfully we made the move to address outfield defense.

Hopefully we can see him continue to have more focused at bats and improved patience.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
The key to me is the difference between his BA and his OBP. Looking at his splits now the difference between his BA and OBP is much wider. Over the last 28 days he is .317/.389.

He is seeing more pitches, and hitting better quality pitches. To me that makes a streak more sustainable in the long run, because he isn't chasing as many pitchers pitches. If he stays patient, the sky is the limit. Take your walks, take balls.

Yes, his at-bats are way better than they were a month ago. I never thought I'd say this, but he's having better at-bats than Abreu right now.

I have no idea how long he'll be able to sustain this, but if his OPS is .740 or higher a couple of months from now, I'd want Hahn to concentrate on trading for a 5th starter instead of upgrading at DH.

A big encouraging factor to me is his plate discipline. Last year his o-swing%, which is the percentage of non-strikes that are swung at, was 45.2% which is astronomically high. His first year with us it was 41.1%, also very high. This year it is at 36.4%, which isn't exactly patient but way more conducive to be a non-horrible hitter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
If this is the real Avi, man, this lineup is dangerous...especially if Hahn adds another lefty bat like CarGo or Reddick.

Problem with an add like that is who do you take ABs away from? Unless you move Eaton back to CF and Reddick to RF, you will be taking ABs away from either Melky or Avi. Both of which are hitting exceptionally well right now. They need improve out of SS the most IMO.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
Problem with an add like that is who do you take ABs away from? Unless you move Eaton back to CF and Reddick to RF, you will be taking ABs away from either Melky or Avi. Both of which are hitting exceptionally well right now. They need improve out of SS the most IMO.

Which is true today, but coming into the season very few people would have agreed. Let's see where we're at in July and if short is still our greatest need on offense or if Avi pulls the rug out again and leaves us wanting a DH. We can afford to be patient at SS - the only other contender who would be eager to upgrade there is Washington, if the current landscape holds. The Rays and Tigers have underwhelming guys in Miller and Iglesias, but they're also invested in those guys. Texas won't want to wave the white flag on Andrus yet.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Which is true today, but coming into the season very few people would have agreed. Let's see where we're at in July and if short is still our greatest need on offense or if Avi pulls the rug out again and leaves us wanting a DH. We can afford to be patient at SS - the only other contender who would be eager to upgrade there is Washington, if the current landscape holds. The Rays and Tigers have underwhelming guys in Miller and Iglesias, but they're also invested in those guys. Texas won't want to wave the white flag on Andrus yet.

Washington will call up Trea Turner at some point, so they're not even really competition for SS upgrades.

How about a SP and then a more of a role player type for the fielder...not someone that will break the bank. Someone to take Sands place but play more often. How much would a Brett Gardner cost us? Or a Parra? Someone like that. I guess this question really belongs in the Trade Speculation thread. I will move my thoughts there.......

I am pleased with what I have seen with Avi though. Not only has his numbers improved even some of his outs are hit really hard. His LD% has to have gone up the last few weeks.

Edited by BFirebird

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)

Espinosa has been terrible there, but Turner lurks.

Jurickson Profar's the most interesting name, because the Rangers have to decide if his arm/shoulder will stand up to the pressure of being a middle infielder or if the outfield would be a better long-term home (CF, for DeShields).

No idea what the Rangers would be asking for either Profar (or Gallo), but both those guys are currently blocked.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BFirebird @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
How about a SP and then a more of a role player type for the fielder...not someone that will break the bank. Someone to take Sands place but play more often. How much would a Brett Gardner cost us? Or a Parra? Someone like that.

I've been thinking the same thing the past few days. Somehow replacing Sands with Gardner on this roster would make this team so much better without upsetting the "chemistry" too much.

Unless you consider essentially benching Avisail Garcia for the rest of the 2016 season "not upsetting chemistry."

Nova and Pineda might be of more interest, but too early to assume the Yankees are going to sell off pieces in a firesale...Miller and Chapman would be priority target for most contenders as well.

Plus, the Yankees are not just going to give Gardner away. It's definitely going to take some pieces Hahn doesn't want to trade.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
They need improve out of SS the most IMO.

SS, like Catcher and to a lesser extent CF, is defense first position. The Sox have below .700 OPS from 3 positions: C, SS and CF. And yet it works out fine.

Too high a premium to pay for a SS who can hit and play D (which is why you try to grow your own). Anyone who expected Rollins to hit much this year was in la la land. But he handles the position defensively; we might get a little more O out of Saladino/Sanchez (we might not; but we won't with Rollins) so I would like to see them play a little more.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Unless you consider essentially benching Avisail Garcia for the rest of the 2016 season "not upsetting chemistry."

Gardner would rotate in with Jackson in CF, and with Melky in LF. On days you want to sit Avi against a RHP, Melky can DH with Gardner in LF. Other days you may want to sit Jackson so Gardner plays CF. When Eaton needs a rest Jackson can play RF with Gardner in CF. On days he's not starting he's available as a LHPH, a PR, or a defensive replacement for Melky.

There is plenty of playing time for all involved. And if Avi proves to be just on his usual hot streak and goes back to his old ways, you can rotate your three outfiekders and Gardner at DH to keep everyone fresh.

Well I have to admit, I was ready to write off Avi a few weeks ago. Happy I'm wrong. Not sure if he sustains it, but I will say this isn't just BABIP luck or the like. He does look different up there - different approach, different swing plane, more restraint, driving the ball better.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Well I have to admit, I was ready to write off Avi a few weeks ago. Happy I'm wrong. Not sure if he sustains it, but I will say this isn't just BABIP luck or the like. He does look different up there - different approach, different swing plane, more restraint, driving the ball better.

I am wondering how different his swing really is. I think this might all be mental. Sure he starts with his hands lower, but if you notice ,they go back up to where they used to start pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
I am wondering how different his swing really is. I think this might all be mental. Sure he starts with his hands lower, but if you notice ,they go back up to where they used to start pretty quickly.

That's setup though, not swing. His setup changes have been since Spring Training. I could be wrong, but it looks to me like he's stopped chopping/slicing the ball and has a plane more conducive to loft.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 10, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Gardner would rotate in with Jackson in CF, and with Melky in LF. On days you want to sit Avi against a RHP, Melky can DH with Gardner in LF. Other days you may want to sit Jackson so Gardner plays CF. When Eaton needs a rest Jackson can play RF with Gardner in CF. On days he's not starting he's available as a LHPH, a PR, or a defensive replacement for Melky.

There is plenty of playing time for all involved. And if Avi proves to be just on his usual hot streak and goes back to his old ways, you can rotate your three outfiekders and Gardner at DH to keep everyone fresh.

The problem is they're much more likely to want to trade Beltran or Ellsbury than Gardner or Chapman.

When's the last time the Yankees gave up on a season and had a firesale?

Theoretically, it could work...but, once again, I think the asking price for a player like Gardner's going to be higher than Hahn is willing to pay.

If he wouldn't give up the draft pick that theoretically has the value of a Spencer Adams type of prospect instead of trading Shark at the end of July, he's not going to turn around and deal his second best pitching prospect (a huge future area of need) for an expensive and aging Gardner.