Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Serious Interest...
Jason Kendall: .317, .396 OBP, .781 OPS, 2 HR, 30 RBI. He's thrown out 34% of would be base stealers which is good compared to his career numbers. Owed big bucks for another 3 years. Johnny Estrada: .338 AVG, .388 OBP, 4 HR, 44 RBI He is throwing out just 19% of would be basestealers which is downright AWFUL. However, in an extended period of time in 2001 he threw out .35% of would be base stealers. I think he is still a year away from being arbitration eligible (He has played parts of 3 other seasons in the majors) and a few years off from becoming a free agent. I'm not sure if two of his years count though, so he may still be under control by the team that has him for a bit longer. However, Estrada is hitting .381 vs. righties. Greg Zaun - Switch Hitter .312 AVG, .401 OBP, .820 OPS, 2 HR, 15 RBI He is throwing out 46% of would be base stealers, although his career numbers indicate he should be a bit lower. He is hitting .297 vs. righties this season (.413 OBP) and .333 vs lefties. He has more at bats against righties on the season. Brian Schneider - L .251 AVG, .301 OBP, 8 HR, 21 RBI. May not be great offensively, but he is a stud behind the plate. Throwing out 53.3% of would be base stealers. Last season he threw out 52.9% of base stealers and in 2002 it was in the upper 40%'s. He also only has two passed balls this year, which tells me he does a good job blocking the plate. If you ask me a deal with Schneider and Livan Hernandez/Zach Day/Tony Armas could be interesting. Another option: Benito Santiago. He is out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand, but is expected back at the end of July. Who knows, he could be a waiver deal as well. Has postseason experience and would be a hell of a leader down the stretch.
-
lorenzo barcelo
I know he did pretty well in winter ball last year or something along those lines. Don't know where he his this year, I'd guess he's still pitching somewhere. Man what an arm that kid had.
-
LA Times now Reporting
I'd say most likely this is just an old rumor being rehashed by the times. Kenny wouldn't deal Jose unless he was getting another left handed bat in return, possibly even in a 3 team deal. I also heard the Angels aren't likely to be active at the deadline.
-
LA Times now Reporting
Well, Willie . And of course GLoad and Timo off the bench.
-
LA Times now Reporting
I would say no, unless the Sox are about to acquire J.D. Drew as the left handed bat. Then the Sox can go with Willie and Juan up the middle and Crede at 3rd making Jose expendable. I think this deal is pure speculation on the Angels part because I can't see the Sox making that move. However, lets not forget the Angels could potentially put Adam Kennedy (who is struggling) or Eckstein in the deal to make it interesting. Usually I'd like the idea of Kennedy (a lefty bat) but at this case in point it wouldn't make sense. I'd say this deal is pretty unlikely at this point, although I'd like Ramon Ortiz on the southside.
-
Serious Interest...
If the Sox give up CHris Young for Jason Kendall...ICK is all I can say. However, Kendall would be a good fit on the southside if the Sox end up paying him 5-6 mill a year for the remainder of the contract. If the Pirates eat that much of the contract, then they can have a Jon Rauch caliber prospect and one lower level prospect, but I wouldn't give up anymore then that. Its still a big contract to take on, however, at 5 or 6 mill a year (what the Sox would owe) they could keep him this year and then once again consider movnig him. Heck Rauch and Ben Davis may be enough to get him depending on the amount of contract the Pirates would eat.
-
Interesting viewpoint on the trade
Awesome article
-
Wilson Valdez
- Wilson Valdez
Valdez looks like a quality prospect. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in a week and a half or so. OF course he is old for a prospect but he's supposed to be solid defensively, has good speed and seems to hit for average in AAA.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
He's on the DL, but he could always make an entrance.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
To me that seems pretty strong. If Kenny is going to make a deal then I think their is a good shot we got Jones and one or both of Estrada/Russ Ortiz and Maggs won't be involved. I do think Crede could very well be a part of the deal though although I don't know if the Braves have a need at 3rd (cause they do have Andy Marte in the minors). The Sox will take their chances of losing Maggs at the end of the season for draft picks, knowing that Andruw Jones will then take over for him. But their is a decent shot that they will play together for at least a few months and that would be pretty damn interesting, imo. Oh ya, If Maggs doesn't go in this deal, then you can book Rowand beinga part of it. I'd say Rowand/Crede/pitching prospect could do it, but I doubt the Sox deal Crede. The only reason I suggest Crede is that Uribe can shift to 3rd with Harris at 2nd and I'd say the Sox would be in solid shape.- Weekly League Thread
I'd be in.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
IF KW can do that I'm definately with ya.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
Thats the thing, adding Jones instead of a stud pitcher, isn't the best way of addressing things, imo. If Kenny has been told the Sox can do both, then hell ya, do it. Jones will be here a few years so I'll give something up, and get Ortiz as well, plus it shouldn't take much prospect wise if the Braves want to dump his contract so bad.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
I agree it could work, but if the Sox are going to do that, then JR also has to approve more payroll increases to add more pitching cause the current pitching staff isn't enough. In this case, if you get Jones and Ortiz for prospects, I sure as hell hope they don't give up much prospect wise cause they'll be taking on a lot of contract. Then they let Maggs walk at the end of the season for the two draft picks or if for whatever reason teh Sox win it all, they can resign everyone, who knows. That makes sense to me. Rowand/Rauch and one other prospect for those two...but would the Braves also send some cash.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
I should add, I want more pitching, I could give a damn about hitting, the Sox offense is good, but the pitching staff and pen could still use upgrades, imo. Ortiz and Cruz would be a start.- Time for Anderson's call up?
Ya, Rex, unfortunately, Bham once again got cut out. I Think what I'm gonna do is when I get my free frequent flyer ticket, I'm gonna fly out to Bham for a 3 game series and see them. The trip was just gonna be too expensive if we planned Bham into it. Now its really affordable cause were staying in the Charlotte area.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
No, when I say flip him for prospects, I mean the Braves would be flipping Maggs for prospects, not the Sox. The Sox do this deal because it makes them better, bottomline. I realize trading your star isn't necessarily the big thing to do, but this makes the Sox much better, and anything that makes the club better now only now but in the future, I make, stardom be damn. I also think Sox fans would rally and learn to love Andruw Jones and the type of defense he plays and I'm convinced he'll hit 50 Hr's for the Sox in a season while he's under contract. To me its a no brainer if its on the table.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
I'd do it because Jones is not much of a downgrade over Maggs and frankly you need to at least know you have something next year. With what the other playesr bring, it makes the deal worth it. To me the Sox are a better team at the end of the day. The offense probably is as good with Jones/Estrada as it was with Maggs/Olivo. Pitching wise you lose Cotts (this I'd try not to do) while gaining Ortiz and Juan Cruz. Rauch or Diaz, one of which will stay with Chicago so next year Cruz and the other can fight for one of the pitching slots, although I fimrly believe at the end of the year the Sox can sign 2 of the three pitchers (Garcia, Elo, Ortiz). The new pen has Scho and Cruz over Cotts and Jackson, which is at least a bit better. I'd be even more happy if it could be done without Cotts but instead Rauch and Diaz, but you gotta give something to get something and this is a pretty huge ass deal so to me I'd be shocked as hell if something like this went down. Also now that I think of it, Ben Davis would obviously be a part of the deal.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
This would be a deal for the Braves to move payroll. They get rid of a long term deal and then hold onto Maggs for a short time while trying to broker him elsewhere for prospects (Something they woudln't get for Jones). They also give up a starting pitcher, but will be getting a pitching prospect in return and once again cutting immediate payroll. However, to give up Estrada would be tough unless they got something else they liked in return, like Aaron Rowand or Joe Borchard or in my opinion Neal Cotts. The Sox would also get Juan Cruz in the deal. I think you cuold see something like this: Maggs/Rauch or Diaz/Cotts and probably one other player for Andruw Jones/Russ Ortiz/Johnny Estrada/Juan Cruz. This deal gives the Sox 3 playesr that will be here for a few years and a good starting pither that will likely leave for draft choices at the end of the year. However, after making the two deals the Sox are stronger behind the plate, in centerfield, way stronger in the rotation and stronger in the bullpen (with Scho replacing Cotts in the pen and Cruz coming in replacing Jackson). They are weaker in right. They are also better off in the long run as they now have one hole position wise next year and thats RF while you still have a few risks with losing some FA pitchers, but have some options too. And Hell yes, I would do this deal, even if it meant both Diaz and Rauch were a part of the deal. This would be a great deal cause it help the Sox now and later. Now that I've given ya the Sox logic for this deal, let me give you the Braves logic. Andruw Jones has an immovable contract as some would say, at least when it comes to getting prospects. SO they end up giving up a player they like in Johnny Estrada to get it to go and the Sox know the Braves want to cut payroll so they get ORtiz. Since the Sox are taking on so much payroll they want at least one semi promising pitcher and thats Juan Cruz. The Braves now get Neal Cotts (he'll go into their rotation), Maggs (will be shipped off for prospects...he can be moved adn the Braves will do this probably for 2 TOP prospects and another very good prospects...ie Beltran deal) and then Rauch/Diaz plus another prospect. This nets them Cotts (very good prospect, two top prospects, a good prospect and then Rauch/Diaz and whoever else the Sox give up, plus cuts payroll. That make enough sense from the Braves perspective. And with Smoltz also on the block, the Braves are potentially waving the white flag.- Constant trade rumors post garcia trade
Thats fine by me, but also expect Juan Cruz to be a part of the deal- holy cow
For this to make sense it would have to be Jones/Estrada for Maggs and yes I would do that deal.- Who is happy with The Trade?
I am happy.- Sig Request
- ESPN 1000: Freddy Garcia traded to the White Sox
I'd be interested in Ramon Ortiz, whether the Sox used him as a starter or a reliever, however, someone like Russ Ortiz would be better. If the Angels just wanted the Sox to pick up the remaining portion of his contract so the Angels can go out and make another move, then it could be good. But the Angels will want major league help and I wouldn't give up Neal Cotts, which is probably what they would want. However, if they would do Kelly Wunsch and a mid level prospect, then done and done. HE's been great out of the bullpen this season in Anaheim. - Wilson Valdez