Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:38 PM) Interesting quote from Dunning... @WSDashBaseball “[@whitesox starter James Shields] showed me a different grip to use for the curve...That's been a big plus for me.” -@Ddunning33 on one of the keys to his hot start Seems like Shields has been really willing to work with the kids, which is nice.
  2. QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:36 PM) https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/prospects/stats/affiliates AAA - Volstad AA - Stephens A+ - TBD A - TBD
  3. QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:33 PM) Couple of International signees the past couple days https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2P...amp;single=true Interesting. Glad to see them grabbing some guys as we near the deadline for this period. Might as well leave as little money as possible behind.
  4. Side note to this, that means the earliest that Rodon could come off of the DL is now May 25.
  5. QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:56 AM) Was Lucas Giolioto one of them? IIRC there was a segment on an MLB insider show that caught the Sox brass talking about passing on a pitcher because of his mechanics. This would have been before Giolito was drafted. For some reason it seems like they never said the name, but there were rumors as to who it was. I can't recall the name now.
  6. QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 07:46 AM) Paul Ryan reportedly will announce he's not seeking reelection https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/984042692836495360 This is a chance for him to walk away with this dignity and quit being the waterboy for Trump's policies without causing an eruption of the Republican Party between the factions of Trump and the rest of the GOP. In the situation he is in, this is his best possible move if he wants a political future. And all over a job he didn't really want anyway.
  7. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 12:09 PM) The other thing everyone forgets is who owned the Cubs and who owned WGN. They weren't going to cede that to the White Sox. As long as the Tribune owned both, the Sox were only going to get limited play at best on their station. And the Chicago Tribune.
  8. Looks like they wanted another long reliever.
  9. QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 03:42 PM) I'm only taking McClanahan if he has better grades, all things equal I'm not taking a pitcher with TJ. The Sox have passed on pitchers before because of their arm action and surgery risks.
  10. QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 10:05 AM) I doubt the Sox would do that. They obviously like him enough to resign him after trading him, I doubt they would just dump him after 6 weeks. I honestly think they'll wait until June or July until they can trade him for literally anything (probably nothing) and then bring Kopech up. They also gave him $5 million to come back. I think Shields is out the door before Miguel is, unless Gonzalez absolutely craters.
  11. Nothing states that an organization has confidence in you like telling you to quit switchhitting or taking you out of the lead off spot in the second week of the season.
  12. QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 02:23 PM) Yes, vitriol. As I mentioned, I'm referencing the links in the thread above. Ron883 saying Abreu was DFA worthy based on 100PA last year is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this site. So you are taking one person's words and applying it to the entire site? Yeah, that tells me what this conversation is worth.
  13. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 12:54 PM) It that is what you are hoping, you are going to be a bit disappointed. Why would he sell at this point? I could see if he was in his 50s or 60s and had a great chance of enjoying 20 more years of life with that windfall, but he's in his 80s, and this is pretty fun for him. He will die owning both teams. Honestly the one thing that stands out to me is with the changes in tax laws, there is less incentive than ever to sell before he dies.
  14. QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 01:00 PM) Give him the innings for now. There’s no rush in making a decision. Even with Rodon coming back at some point and Kopech a mid-season call-up, he can have a spot in the rotation until one of Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, or Hansen says otherwise. Yep. Again less than 300 IP TOTAL as a professional. He has pitched about the same amount of innings as Michael Kopech. Get Fulmer his innings. No need to make a panic move.
  15. Vitrol? Yeah, can't say I see that. I think the takes have been pretty realistic. No one he is saying he sucks, or is even average, but Hall of Fame is a whole other level. When I close my eyes and squint at the future of Jose Abreu, I see a Harold Baines ceiling. Maybe a few big years, a lot of consistency, but nothing that stands out and makes HOF voters go WOW. Call it a 5-10% HOF vote, tops.
  16. QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:26 AM) 100% fair response, but that’s why it’s called a hot take. The walk rate has been ridiculous and is making me question my own pessimism towards Matt. I’m hopeful that when the weather heats up the power will return. And I’m not suggesting Davidson will ever be a star (he won’t), but potentially a serviceable DH option. Just two weeks ago he was the one guy on the roster I wish wasn’t on it, so this is as hot of a take as I could come up with. If he is taking walks one of two things is going to happen. Either he is still hitting sparsely and they quit walking him, or he starts to get better pitches to hit and takes off. It should be interesting.
  17. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:57 AM) i think this team is gonna have two personalities. The first one will be what we see now, a team that most likely would win 69-75 games. Flashes from young players like Anderson, Yolmer, Reylo and Gio. And the second one will be after the bad to mediocre(Gonzalez, Shields, infante, Engel, Saladino etc) is moved out and Jimenez, Kopech, Viera, etc come up. I really dont know what to expect when that happens, but I think it will be a lot more exciting when it happens your take wasnt even luke warm. Shame I said it in the preseason predictions thread and I said it again. This team will be streaky. They will look like a playoff team at times, and they will look like a replacement level team at others. This is basically a team loaded with interns, has been's, and could be's. The bulk of the rebuild still isn't here yet. It is a process, not a sprint.
  18. QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:18 AM) The bullpen sucks. That's not even a hot take.
  19. Scott Merkin?Verified account @scottmerkin 8m8 minutes ago MLB leader in batted balls with 100+ mph exit velocity? None other than Jose Abreu with 16, including two yesterday.
  20. QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 09:21 AM) I know I'm like a broken clock on this but really like when at the end of each affiliate there is a bulleted list of the players mentioned and their sample slash line. "ohn Parke opened his 2018 campaign with a strong start, allowing just one run on three hits through seven efficient innings, whiffing six and not walking anyone. Fellow lefty Parker Rigler looked good in his full season debut as well, throwing five innings of one-run ball, striking out four against a single walk. " Were these draftees or milb free agents? Parke was a 21st round pick in 2018, Rigler was a 31st.
  21. QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 05:06 PM) You just lost credibility with me if you honestly believe Hillary was against the TPP. She could not go down with the sinking ship. If you do not understand that abolishing the TPP brings more Money and Jobs to our country than I don't know what to say to you? (SEE DOW, SEE LINKS) You lost any credibility with me if you don't think the Clinton's history of spinelessness on popular/unpopular positions wouldn't cause her to dessert pretty much anything that wasn't polling well with the general public.
  22. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 08:54 AM) I would guess that or the A's. Its either that or one of the 93/98 expansions.
  23. FWIW, if you take out opening day, Matt Davidson is 4-26, 1 HR, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 8 BB, 12K, .308 slg, .371 opb, .679 OPS.
  24. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 07:49 AM) Yes, and probably some other team would have taken their place because even with their red headed stepchild status in Chicago, the White Sox have a far superior situation than a lot of franchises. Thinking in retrospect, we could well be the Chicago Expos.
  25. QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 04:55 PM) wow, right f***ing at him, I thought that was in the gap off the bat. Man, good try. Yep played perfectly.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.