Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:17 PM) I think Cintron's struggles and this bereavement list stuff are not a coincidence, his mind is elsewhere. Take care of your mind Alex and get back here as focused as possible. Good point. I think sometimes people forget these guys are human, and like the rest of us, they take their personal problems to work with them. Having a parent/grandparent dying is one of the most stressful things there is.
  2. Its a real good sign that we seem to be taking advantage of opportunities and winning while we are playing nothing close to our best baseball. If the pitching had been just average, we could be 10 games out already.
  3. QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 13, 2007 -> 02:01 AM) Send Logan down Why, as of late, he has been our best lefty out of the pen.
  4. I know tons of people who work for the federal government in Chicago, as their buildings are two blocks away from where I work, and they are a bitter lot. I don't know if it would be different in what you do, but all of the people I have met, they are underpaid, bitter, and angry.
  5. I Have a question!
  6. Congrats, that is a huge accomplishment!
  7. QUOTE(Texsox @ May 12, 2007 -> 06:59 AM) I disagree (gee what a surprise!) but perhaps it's the label, not the actions we disagree on. I've seen a system that truly rewards corruption, up close and personal, when I worked in Mexico. The corruption at the lowest levels is common place. An extra $5 to process this application and stuff like this. I believe the tremendous financial requirements of running even a local campaign creates a situation where access is greater for the wealthy and generous and not for the majority of citizens. I believe they have to prostitute themselves with fundraising and etc, to keep the flow of campaign money flowing. I don't believe we have many laws written because of bribes to officials. I don't believe the vast majority of elected officials are "for sale". I believe our justice system favors those that can afford the best attorneys and "expert" witnesses. But I don't think the vast majority of judges accept bribes for rulings. (1) You know something about School Board candidates in Indiana? Send me $100 introduction fee and I will tell you...
  8. QUOTE(Texsox @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:08 PM) No Republicans running? Shhh....
  9. QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:40 PM) Mike some of us remember the late 80s, the late 90s, and the early part of this century. I dont want to experience that again. I liked the packed park. I like the winning ways. Those teams had low payroll and a lack of talent. This team doesnt have that problem. There is no acceptable reason that a 100 million dollar payroll team is hitting as bad as this one does. One person, I mean just one should be able to hit. Its just the law of averages. Eh, you can stress yourself out about it as much as you want to, it just doesn't bother me that much. It would be one thing if this team were lazy or didn't care, but I just haven't seen that in my view. They seem to go out and try hard everyday, and after that, whatever happens, happens. I am glad they have a competitive team on the field and fans in the stands, but if it goes away, what does it really change for me? Nothing. Maybe I am just getting old, but I don't see the point of getting upset over a game meant for entertaining me, especially since I have seen teams that were way worse.
  10. QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:35 PM) Thats 100% right. The younger crowd, including myself, is spoiled. I have followed this team in a "die hard" fashion since 2002. Obviously not a long time. After experiencing 2005, we expect the same, or close to it. Is that fair? Probably not, but the bar has been raised. Its not right, and its not wrong. It is what is it is. Life is all about how you interpret it. Different people can look at the exact samething and see it in completely different ways. People who have truely seen bad teams don't think of a 90 win season as bad. For someone who has only seen a team that consistantly was at the top of the league and expected them to repeat, it was a bad year.
  11. QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 9, 2007 -> 02:26 PM) I'm trying to figure out how some of you people function on a day to day basis getting this outraged about a team barely under .500 in early May How did you people even survive the 2001 season? Many of them are not old enough to remember some really bad teams, such as the late 80's and then back into the 70's... I think that is why you don't see the same reactions from the 30+ crowd as you do from the
  12. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:11 PM) Whalen Smithers wrote that? Burns is going to have him fired!
  13. QUOTE(knightni @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:51 PM) Now, correct me if I'm wrong here. You didn't mark the "D" on your ballot and turn it in...? You voted for each race one at a time and picked a guy with a D next to him on every race. Right? Yes.
  14. From the American Idol thread... BeeGees hate always wins with me QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 9, 2007 -> 01:49 PM) Last night completely blew. They all sucked. Bad night for BeeGees tunes. My pick: LaKisha to go. QUOTE(Soxy @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:56 PM) Is there ever a good night for BeeGees tunes?
  15. QUOTE(Soxy @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:56 PM) Is there ever a good night for BeeGees tunes? THANK YOU!
  16. QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:40 PM) How embarrassing this will be for the White Sox. They would be better off trading all of their draft picks to any team that will let them pick their top 2 prospects. I see you have a ton of knowledge about how the draft and draft picks work in MLB.
  17. QUOTE(knightni @ May 9, 2007 -> 12:32 PM) If you vote straight ticket, you vote for every Democrat running in a primary. That's like voting for every one of Hillary, Obama, Edwards etc. all at the same time. How does that help? Straight ticket means you vote for someone in the same party in each race.
  18. I voted straight ticket democrat in yesterday's local Michigan City elections.
  19. Did anyone happen to read the article about Weber at the Jazz game in today's Trib? I know there is a story about former players not liking him, but it doesn't seem very consistant with what is in today's story.
  20. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:22 AM) There are very few things you can point at that reflect directly on a coach, but I think that this trend, which I think we've all seen, reflects directly on either Cooper and his throwing program for these guys or on the Sox's strength and conditioning coach, whoever that is. I have thought about this for a while, and I have a theory on it. I think the Sox in an effort to give pitchers a repeatable, controllable, low maintence delivery, make minor mechanical changes to pitchers which take away from some of their velocity. It seems to me to be the trend of Sox pitchers to pretty quickly lose velocity, but in return it seems their walk totals fall, their innings rise, and there really seems to be no-to very little- injury problems. I haven't researched this, but it is has been something I have been mulling in my head over the last couple of years. I would be curious to see both how the numbers work out for pitchers coming to Chicago, and what happens when they leave.
  21. QUOTE(Balance @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:27 AM) I'm putting most of the blame on MacDougal. The whole collapse started with one of those patented Twins el cheapo singles, but MacDougal crapped the bed after that. I really felt that the game was over when the Sox lost the lead in the 8th. You have to hold a 4-1 lead late in the game. You have to win this game in that situation. If you don't win in this situation, you're not showing me any signs that you'll be playing come October. One interesting thing I read, is that Konerko swears he tagged the player on the first hit in the eight inning, but the umpire missed it. So how differently does the inning turn out if there is one out and no one on?
  22. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:17 AM) The news media loves to put Al Sharpton on the air and then spend a lot of time complaining about why Al Sharpton gets time on the air given what he does with that time. Spend a little bit of time thinking about that. Ditto Ann Coulter's crazy ass. For some reason, people watch. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 11:25 AM) That's a good point. At that time, having a Catholic in the White House seemed like a huge ideological shift. Nowadays, I suppose we are a little more open-minded as a nation, so we don't give a ton of thought to Protestant vs Catholic, or the like. We had a Jewish candidate in 2000, and his faith was not considered by most to be a huge factor. I think the more times we see an "unorthodox" candidate (for lack of a better word) the more that stereotypes are broken down. To be honest, I don't think an Obama would be taken at all seriously today, if Jesse Jackson hadn't have run in the 80's. I think because we have had the "first time" factor taken away in his candidacy, we won't hear too much about that stuff until he were to receive the nomination, well except for the occasional idiots saying something extremely stupid. I think Romney's situation is pretty similar, where it might be a side issue, but it shouldn't waste too much of people's time, unless he makes it into a bigger issue than it is.
  23. For those who like narrow based statistical analysis... Darin Erstad as the lead off hitter... .328 BA 1 HR 10 RBI 67 AB 22 Hits 5 BB 4 K .375 OBA .448 SLG .823 OPS
  24. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 10:02 AM) I think that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all have certain minority sects that are very literalist, and/or very strict followers. But I think that Mormons lack that range of involvement. It seems as if they are all very, very involved, invested, and stringent to their faith. But I certainly wouldn't doubt that Amish or Menonites are also similarly invested - I just have no experience or knowledge in that area. I guess what I am saying is this... Most of the candidates are Christian of one type or another. But I think that for most of them, while their level of faith or belief varies, their religion is not as strong an influence on their lives as it is likely to be for Romney. They said the samething about Kennedy in 1960.
  25. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2007 -> 09:46 AM) I am saying that, in my experience and my readings, my strong impression is this: Being Mormon has a much greater effect on a person's behavior and character than does being any other religion I have had significant experience with. That is not an assessment of good or bad - just strength of influence across the spectrum. Now, I can't say I've known many Menonites, or Amish, or Hasidic Jews (apologies if I misspelled that one), or other very stringent sects. But of the more mainline religious, Mormonism seems to have the greatest effect on its followers. Just my experience. Interesting. I wouldn't agree with you, but it is interesting none the less. I did go to school in the heart of the memonite/amish areas of Indiana, and I can say that those people are 100% about their religion, and take a very literal interpretation of it. I also know many practicing Muslims and Jews, and they are as literal as anyone else I have ever seen.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.